My entry in the group build will be the Campini Caproni, an Italian experimental jet first flown in 1940 (the test pilot was

Mario De Bernardi).  It was, at the time, recognised as the first successful flight by a jet-powered aircraft (though it was

later - after the war - discovered that the Germans had achieved this in a He 178 in 1939 - but had kept it secret).

You can read a bit about the aircraft here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Campini_N.1

The Wiki article also includes a link to a short you-tube video of one of the test flights.

There were only two of these aircraft ever made, and one of them is in the museum in Vigna di Valle, near Rome.

The kit I am using is by an Italian manufacturer, Delta 2, in 1/72nd.   (It even names the test pilot on the box)

7d5fb7ba-e3ab-4bea-b151-0a2590a79587.jpg 

As far as I am aware, the kit was originally produced in 1973/4, and shows all of the characteristics of a short-run kit of that time, complete with

raised panel lines and lots of raised rivets.   My box is a 1980's release, which is apparently the exact same kit, but without the detailed instructions, 

that included photographs and a history of the aircraft, that was in the original box.   

(I am aware that Valom produced a much more modern kit of this aircraft in 2013, but as the Delta 2 kit is in my stash, this is what I am going to use.  

There are some reviewers who feel that, despite its age, the Delta 2 kit is a bit more accurate....not that it is fully accurate either!)

Here are the sprues:-

a4380cc8-b02c-4a68-8fcf-f45e616a236e.jpg

23ab1bee-8df7-4b96-8281-5c79b8c89d35.jpg

4cc29c2c-1a1b-4b65-9c0f-f94f908fdc51.jpg

71ac6711-8165-44f8-932b-7b1e1190f48d.jpg

The kit includes rather thick transparencies for the cockpit, as well as a stand, for those who want to show it in flight.

60597017-9c75-4c13-b86e-649f671829f3.jpg

And here are the (rather simple) instructions:-

f0804b7b-1332-453c-9d04-773002a609cb.jpg

4687aca6-8cbc-4a89-b756-e35ca6ba8fde.jpg

2752918b-84bd-4bd0-b3e2-d146baec6f1c.jpg

8f217a8c-cd87-4ba9-85a4-e66ea25145a3.jpg

And there is a small decal sheet provided (which may have seen better times - if so, I will have to look to my spares box for replacements)

e9ee7376-e619-493d-8947-a17a03998d2a.jpg

I intend to remove all the raised detail and to rescribe the panels.  I may also try out a new riveter that I purchased recently from RB Productions.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_110&products_id=300

However, I generally intend to do this as an out of the box type job, and will not be trying to improve the kit's accuracy (as at least one member here

on Britmodeller did four years ago).  I am aware that I will need a large amount of sandpaper and filler to get the pieces to go together, and then that

I will need to get a pristine surface for the natural metal finish, so that will be enough modelling practice for me.....

Thanks for looking,

Philip

Edited by Prenton
  • Like 7

I built one of these (I suspect more have stayed in the box that are actually built) and I found it to be an enjoyable build.

I did build it gear up however.  The landing gear in the kit was not it's best feature.

Good luck with yours and enjoy it!

Greg in Oklahoma

Great to see this here Philip, welcome to the Group Build :).

I'm rather taken by the stand, and by the fact that crew figures appear to be included. Do they look usable? It could look very nice indeed  'in flight', perhaps with canopies open like on the YouTube film.

I listened a little harder to the commentary; the pilots and designers are described as 'pioneers' and 'entering a new era of aviation'. Stirring stuff :).

I recently bought the small version of the RB riveter, so I'm going to be very interested to watch your experience if it. His scribers are, IMHO, superb.

Good luck and enjoy building this unique aircraft, we'll enjoy watching and encouraging you along :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

Nice choice Philip, I have only ever seen side views of this machine, which seemed to my eye overly heavy & bulky.  However the plan views you've shown here reveal lovely elliptical wings.  Looking forward to seeing this through to it's bare-metal finish!

The pilot figures are two distinctly different people, not the two twins that appear in most kits.

When I built mine I was wondering if they represented the two  "pioneers" but was unable to find conformation.

Greg in OK 

Thanks for the encouraging comments, guys.

Greg - yes, I noticed that about the pilots.  I will have a close look at the link to the youtube that Tony has given me, of the film of one of the 

actual flights, which may help with how they are dressed etc.

I have filed off the rough sprue gate remains and have taped up the fuselage and wings to get a mock up - just to see how things are going

to go.

5aefd14e-146d-4164-a701-e23a93f6d4d2.jpg

3f862f50-52b1-4ed0-896c-32a4836b8e13.jpg

Clearly, a lot of sanding, filling etc is ahead of me, particularly at the fuselage/wing interface, and indeed some clamping at the rudder!

Philip

Edited by Prenton
photos replaced after the "Photobucket incident"
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello Phillip,

My apologies for not popping in for a while. I have been having a catch up with long overdue medical stuff, including a little (quite pleasant believe it or not) stay in hospital.

I know it's no Tamigawa, but looking through the eyes of one that (tries to) make(s) almost exclusively 'short-run' kits,  it doesn't look too bad at all :).

I may be trying to persuade myself of that,  as I finally found and bought one at a fairly reasonable price last week. They're quite rare now, I was happy to get one for 15 Euro from a chap in Germany, only charging 6 Euro postage to Oz, which makes eg some US postage amounts shown look crazy (one person wanted US $63 for UPS :frantic: !).

I'm really looking forward to the next instalment. I wonder what happened to the other airframe; the one not in the museum :hmmm: ?

All best regards

TonyT

34 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

....some US postage amounts shown look crazy (one person wanted US $63 for UPS :frantic: !).

Tony, you are completely correct about this.  I have received items from other countries that come into the US as such a low cost that I am astonished. 

I not sure if it is the US Mail going through it's death throws after the huge loss of traffic due to e-mail and internet or what but our rates here are ridiculous.

I checked the US Post website and for me to ship one of these kits (and I have one in my stash) to Australia is $75.95!   

Greg in Oklahoma, USA

On 28/05/2017 at 11:35 PM, Greg in OK said:

On 28/05/2017 at 10:49 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

....some US postage amounts shown look crazy (one person wanted US $63 for UPS :frantic: !).

Tony, you are completely correct about this.  I have received items from other countries that come into the US as such a low cost that I am astonished. 

I not sure if it is the US Mail going through it's death throws after the huge loss of traffic due to e-mail and internet or what but our rates here are ridiculous.

I checked the US Post website and for me to ship one of these kits (and I have one in my stash) to Australia is $75.95!   

Thanks for checking Greg.

Crikey. :o!

I did find two people on Fleabay that could send for $12, but it's an unregistered, non tracked service. I bought a similar size kit from a chap in NY around 5 weeks ago and it didn't get here. It's the first thing from the US that's never made it.

I also ordered a small resin  kit from a chap trading as 'Rebelalpha' and that got here fine, but a full four weeks.

I'm wondering if increased international security is affecting postage costs?

I don't want to go OT on Philip's thread.

Needless to say, you inspired me to get one Philip and it's on its way from Germany :).

I've been wondering if you'd done any more to yours and if so, how it's going together?

Looks like fun at the wing roots and time to get the clothes pegs out!

It still looks a neat model.

Best regards

TonyT

Not trying to highjack your thread, but here is a picture of the one I did with the Delta kit.

Despite it's crudeness and rather thick parts I thought that the kit did build up pretty well.

Again, apologies for posting in your thread but I thought you might want to see it....I will pull the photo if you want.

Greg in OK

CC1_zpslayahaia.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/16/2017 at 4:35 AM, Greg in OK said:

Not trying to highjack your thread, but here is a picture of the one I did with the Delta kit.

Despite it's crudeness and rather thick parts I thought that the kit did build up pretty well.

Again, apologies for posting in your thread but I thought you might want to see it....I will pull the photo if you want.

Greg in OK

No problem, Greg.  I hope mine will be as good as that!

Philip

• Like 1

Well - time for an update.

The raised panel lines on the kit, with all of the raised rivets, were quite something.

Here is the upper wing

af72b5c2-c60f-49a1-8c1d-519e7c3bbaf1.jpg

And here is the fuselage

16e20dc1-1735-46f1-a911-4b433ec31e61.jpg

So I got out some sandpaper - actually a lot of sandpaper, and completely removed the raised items.

Here is one of the upper wings, completely cleared, with a yet to be done wing beside it:-

14c33fd1-c4e0-4682-b2b4-e3d6b4e6aa3a.jpg

And here is one fuselage side, similarly cleared, with the other one yet to be tackled:-

dc377592-0fc4-40bc-b6dc-8377b2131343.jpg

550d5421-8b3f-44c8-a435-9223859be54e.jpg

I then got out my scriber of choice, and some dymo tape:-

aff23140-49f4-403e-a3a7-cc6cdbb54cee.jpg

More later this week, when I can put up the photos of the work done.

Thanks for looking,

Philip

• Like 5

Hi Rene

Sorry mate but I believe that photobucket are playing silly b*ggers and not letting people see your photos, Mike on the site brought it to people's attention. 

Hi Philip

Keep up the good work mate, let's have a big push and get this one in the gallery before this Group Build closes :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Great to see that you're moving forward with it Philip :thumbsup2: 

A definite improvement with the rivets off. 

17 days left, it really would be good to see this one in the gallery!

Onwards with a final push.

:hobbyhorse: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks lads

17 days!  gulp!  Better get on with it, so.:o

I have actually rescribed one fuselage side and one wing, but not done the rivetting yet.  However, with the photobucket incident getting in the way, I haven't uploaded photos of progress to date.  Luckily, there are a couple of weekends coming up, which will give me time to finish the rescribing and rivetting, and get it together and painted, leaving a week to get the paint to dry, harden and decals on, so hopefully i will make the deadline.  The kit is going to be an OOB, so no detailing is planned in the interior (which cannot be seen through the canopy anyway).....

Philip

• 3 weeks later...

Well - this one is not going to be finished on time.  I managed to do all the sanding off of the raised panel lines and rivets, and then did all of

the rescribing, on each of the major items separately, and then put the thing together.  That joining the bits together became the problem, as

all - and I do mean all - of the joins needed filler, and lots of it.  The wing to fuselage points were the worst - they needed shims of thin plastic

strip just to bridge the gaps, and then of course more filler.  

Here are the various items, fully sanded and rescribed before joining:-

Both fuselage sides:-

96cd4102-67b5-467c-8c7b-e785be93132f.jpg

Both upper wings:-

d34468fa-7786-4f54-b14d-21afe924d188.jpg

The lower wing:-

3f873588-5e7c-41f4-8847-b2cc0bafe3ac.jpg

And the two little pilots have been painted up and are ready to go into the cockpit:-

80fa8379-e478-43f3-a8f7-4f63f6e0a497.jpg

And here is the sequence of photos from the past week and a half, showing the various stages of filling, sanding, filling and sanding and filling.....

This was after the first session of filling and sanding - more needed to be done....

3396ea59-4983-4828-a705-37e2db5c6924.jpg

1a2c92cc-8985-4ea7-90da-69ef688996c3.jpg

And this is where i got to last night....

04dd4415-7621-41eb-be63-e26358567949.jpg

825f69ab-2e79-4e93-9f39-9ce3b8206b1b.jpg

I intend to do the rivetting after getting the sanding done, and then a filler coat, so as to be sure that there aren't other places where more filler

will be needed......

So I have to admit that time, and a rather poorly fitting kit, caught up with me.  However, while I will not finish by the deadline, I do intend to

continue the work, and will put up posts here until I have it finished, as I still hope to make what is an unusual, and historic, aircraft.   My new

deadline is the IPMS Ireland Irish Nationals in Dublin in early October  (see the little banner below my signature).

Thanks to the mods for modding, and to others who have dropped in to give me encouragement.

Philip

• Like 2

• 3 years later...