Fujimi FIAT 500

My next one for 2017. Must be the third, I think.

I handed it over to my daughter last night, and she was well pleased! The smile on her face said it all. (She's 20 by the way)

So, here are the images:

FIAT500_0019_zpsjqfsckon.jpg

I like the 'arty' 'up-hill' look. Actually, it was me with the camera at a skew angle!

FIAT500_0020_zpsds5vrnhi.jpg

FIAT500_0021_zps8vygoqqv.jpg

FIAT500_0022_zpsgh6kjzno.jpg

FIAT500_0023_zpsqyfm6k7c.jpg

On the whole, a very pleasant build. I had a few problems during the build. Some of them were my own (The clear-coating being the major one) and one was the kit (The wheels!).

I have just noticed that on these pictures, the little 'sting' aerial is a bit off straight. I corrected that after the pictures were taken.

Any comments, positive or negative are welcome.

Thanks for looking, Alan.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, John_W said:

Did you use Fiat paint, as the colour match is perfect?

Hi John,

I used Zero Paints 'FIAT Smooth Mint'. I looked up the colour on the FIAT UK web-site, then searched the ZP database for 'Smooth Mint'.

It was my daughter's choice, that's exactly the colour she wants when she gets a real one!

I cannot praise the Zero Paint too much. They are superb and as far as I can tell pretty robust.

You just have to make sure that you prime the plastic really well before applying the colour coat.

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is there someone who made this model too with English Build plan?

Or does it only exists with Japanese instructions?

If someone has the English Buildplan, is it possible to scan it in some way and post it here?

Thanks already for the feedbacks.

Da Mayor.

My guess is that there's only the Japanese plans. The instructions in my version of the kit seem clear enough though, and they thankfully did include a translation for the colours. 

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for the feedback!
I was just curious if there are English Buildplans out there for this model too.

That's why I was asking.
But the main thing is the colouring translation as you mentioned.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, happy new year. 

@Alan R, you said earlier in this thread that you had some trouble with the wheels on this kit. As you know I'm currently working on the little Fiat 500 myself, and... well I have a feeling that I'm running into trouble with ... the wheels. Could it be the same kind of trouble? 

I have a picture of the front wheel assembly here, and the whole thing doesn't have the right look-and-feel to me.  The connecting (steering?) rod is under quite a bit of strain and it's pushing the front wheels every which way. 

44756855730_917f735321_z.jpg

Is this by any chance familiar to you? And if so, what did you do to fix this? (shortening the rod comes to mind)

Also, the axle ends have a shape that suggest they should fit into the wheel centers, but the wheels are just sort of floating... Is that the same on yours? I just hope it's not like that on the 1:1 version 😋

That's a very nice looking build - brings to mind again you mentioning about wanting more 'normal' cars and this is a good example of it.

However, I am seeing a bit of a theme developing with Fiat 500 models - namely building them to give away :)

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, JeroenS said:

Also, the axle ends have a shape that suggest they should fit into the wheel centers, but the wheels are just sort of floating... Is that the same on yours? I just hope it's not like that on the 1:1 version 😋

Hi Jeroen,

I can see the problem.

At first, I thought that you had the steering rod facing the wrong way and that was what was causing the strain on the whole from suspension assembly.

After a b it of looking and checking the instructions, I have noticed the following:

You have the steering rod attached to the axle pivots, which is leading to the strain on the assembly.

The steering rod has two open 'holes' that attach to the back of the axle hub,
y4m5csltOw5u89t-qC51mB0bMZurtQWYcPZ3sztg

There should be a pin at the back of the axle that the open end of the rod pops onto. The pin is the bit I have circled in red.

The pin you have attached the rod to in this picture fits into the suspension arm on the "under-pan". It's marked part "A1" on my instructions (in section 6).

If you put it where I have indicated, it all should look much better. The rod will be about 2-3 millimetres further back and not bent.

I hope that what I have described is clear. If not, please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

The problem I had on mine was that the axles (for want of a better word) on the wheels were just a bit too big in diameter to fit into the hub of the discs, I had to very carefully ream out some plastic from the hub on the disc, and keep checking that the wheel would slot into the enlarged hole. It took me a while, several days of pondering, before I worked out why the wheels didn't fit! Once I had done that the wheels fit perfectly. So the advice here is to test fit the wheels and carefully enlarge the holes in the hub.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Alan.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alan, haha that was a silly move on my part... I could almost hear the rod going "aahh" as I took it off and put it in its proper place 🙂 

Now that I've taken a closer look at section 4 where the steering rod is attached it's quite obvious where the thing should go but... missed it somehow. Indeed I would eventually have noticed what I did wrong in said section 6.... 

Thanks for the tip on the hubs, I'll watch out for that.

• 1 month later...