Polikarpov R-5, Soviet invasion on Poland, September 1939, MPM vacu 1/72 reshaped

Hi,

Today I finished my triple build of Polikarpov R family members. The last one is Polikarpov R-5 bomber in markings from Soviet invasion on Poland in 17th September 1939. The  WIP thread is on WIP forum. It is an old vacu kit by MPM from begining of 1990s, it was abit reshaped especially in front of fuselage and engine. 

Here she is:

poli DSC04957poli DSC04959poli DSC04960poli DSC04958

poli DSC04961poli DSC04962poli DSC04963

And two family photos:

poli DSC04965poli DSC04964

Comments welcome

Regards and Happy Easters!

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 19

Hi Jerzy!!!!

I have been following the WIP and really is amazing the ammount of work that you have invested in those three beauties!!!

Without a doubt,  it was a true product of labour of love, dedication, research and hard work, but the results are greatly compensated the effort  multiplied by thousands by the way they look: Resplendent, unique and in its true colours. 

I liked the way you approached each variant and its the proof that with Old School Techniques is possible to have a nice collection of models representing an era, and a type  of aircraft a little neglected until today by many mainstream makers, for me there are no sspecial favourite of the three as all of them are different and the truth is that I have enjoyed the way you made them. Each one looks nice in its colours!!!...that's how a neglected and highly criticised kits could be converted in true jewels with the desire to get of them the very best they could give in the hands of an expert model builder. The most valuable thing for us is the chance of learning and relearning basic and advanced new and old forgotten techniques to save any modelistic obstacles.   

Thank you very much for that and for sharing!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 3

Nice trio of an important and significantly neglected Soviet type. An interesting question for me - what kind of air operations did Soviet AF performed in 1939 Polish campaign? Were there any dogfights or bombing raids on towns or Polish army units?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Three superbly made models, hope the live behind a some glass in a case 😊

Thank you. Of course, they are standing on shelves behind the glasses...

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

Nice trio of an important and significantly neglected Soviet type. An interesting question for me - what kind of air operations did Soviet AF performed in 1939 Polish campaign? Were there any dogfights or bombing raids on towns or Polish army units?

Thank you for comment. This is a bit forgotten operation. Scale of operation was in fact huge, some numbers were quoted on BM recently in this thread

More general info is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Poland

The numbers quoted in this articles of killed Polish soldiers (3000-7000) or wounded soldiers (about 20 000)  say something about the military actions which happend there. Also loses on Soviet side are comparable.

The R-5 were used in tactical operations, I've read about three of them lost in actions.

4 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

You have done an excellent job on all three.

Thanks! Many thanks!

4 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Superb piece of work.  I think it's my favourite of the three.

Thanks a lot! - I have mixed feelings which is my favourite, today likely that one but who can tell what will be after a week....

4 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

I have been following the WIP and really is amazing the ammount of work that you have invested in those three beauties!!!

Without a doubt,  it was a true product of labour of love, dedication, research and hard work, but the results are greatly compensated the effort  multiplied by thousands by the way they look: Resplendent, unique and in its true colours. 

Many thanks Luis-Alfonso. I appreciate your enthusiasm very much :)

P.S.

I am very thankful also to Dimmy, for providing me a painting scheme of this R-5

Edited by JWM
added PS
  • Like 3

JWM, great work and nice kit! 

I still remember those late 80s / early 90s vacu kits. To be honest I even tried few of them (vacu-copy of Matchbox Bf.110) but I quickly recognised what vacu kits are not for such amateurs as me :oops:

So big kudos to you for hard work! :yes:

I also like to choose schemes with some history or story behind them - for example, not a plain generic 109E, but 109E of von Wierra and so on. In this case we are able to tell more interesting facts about our kits collections.

It seems to me what you have similar point of view so now you have another great kit and story about it on your shelf! :yes:

11 hours ago, JWM said:

Thank you for comment. This is a bit forgotten operation. Scale of operation was in fact huge, some numbers were quoted on BM recently in this thread

More general info is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Poland

The numbers quoted in this articles of killed Polish soldiers (3000-7000) or wounded soldiers (about 20 000)  say something about the military actions which happend there. Also loses on Soviet side are comparable.

The R-5 were used in tactical operations, I've read about three of them lost in actions.

I asked a question and started to look for answers myself too. Here is a pretty detailed article on Polish campaign on popular a Russian site devoted to avaition history: 
http://airwar.ru/history/locwar/europe/polska/polska.html

Tried to translate it to Polish using google translate - I think works very well. 

• Like 1

A beautiful collection Jerzy, for me the R-5 is particularly stunning- very realistic with some super fine rigging and details...  I always get an education with your posts!

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I asked a question and started to look for answers myself too. Here is a pretty detailed article on Polish campaign on popular a Russian site devoted to avaition history: 
http://airwar.ru/history/locwar/europe/polska/polska.html

Tried to translate it to Polish using google translate - I think works very well. 

Thank you Dannis for this link. I can read Russian, however it went much faster using google translator into Polish...Very interesting article and I think free from propaganda. That is nice. I appreciete. Particulary interesting is part about using Kocherygin-Yasenko DI-6Sh in Polish campaign. That is second one I am planning to do from this operation. In WWII section of BM  Dimmy provided some painting scheme for that machine, I will follow it some time in future, I hope :)

7 hours ago, Dave N said:

A beautiful collection Jerzy, for me the R-5 is particularly stunning- very realistic with some super fine rigging and details...  I always get an education with your posts!

Many thanks Dave N. This is only my No 11 vacu in my live  - and first biplane vacu.

8 hours ago, Dimmy said:

It seems to me what you have similar point of view so now you have another great kit and story about it on your shelf!

Indeed, I think there are some factor which decide which scheme I am chosing,  some story behind original machine is one of very important. 

Thank you Dimmy for your whole comment, so nice to me. I have to tell that without your help with scheme I would rather go to Mongolian one of Khalkin-gol clashes. I was also considering SCW - but sine R-Z I did in Republican colours it seemed to me a bit too much. 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Jerzy-Wojtek, airwar.ru is a very good compilation of information on aviation. Not just Soviet/Russian. There are many good articles and monographies such as the one on Polish campaign. And post-Soviet research articles are typically neutral. 

Hope you'll be able to make a good use of it going forward :)

• Like 1

Michael and Dennis_C - Many thanks for your comments.

Dennis, thanks, I've found airwar.ru page some time ago. I like it mostly for a realy rare photos which are sometimes there.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Hello Jerzy,

Very nice job on the trio, my favourite is the white one.

These kits were a serious challenge and you get through it !

Bravos for that ! very nice painting job too.

I really enjoy !:yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Very nice job on the trio, my favourite is the white one.

These kits were a serious challenge and you get through it !

Bravos for that ! very nice painting job too.

I really enjoy !:yes:

Many thanks Corsaircrop for your comment. I appreciete it.  I think that the white one is the most unique and thus perhaps the most attractive one. For me now it is hard to judge which one of "kids" is the most beloved one :)

• Like 1