Airspeed AS57 Ambassador - 1:144 Welsh Models

Airspeed AS57 Ambassador

1:144 Welsh Models

amb7_zpsjly2v9qo.jpg

I've always wanted an Ambassador in my airliner collection, it is such a gracefull looking aitcraft. It is harldly likely to ever be issued as an injection moulded kit, so thank goodness Welsh Models have provided a vac-form kit. It is a fair bit of work to cut out and prepare all parts, but it goes together quite well. This one has been on the bench for over 2 years now, mainly because I dithered about what scheme to finish it in. I really wanted to do it in the early BEA scheme but could not track down a decal sheet, and Densil at Welsh Models had sold out. Earlier this year I revived it and got on with painting it in the Dan Air scheme the kit provided decals for, although these are mainly just the titles, logos amd registrations. All the cheat lines you have to paint yourself.

amb9_zpsdmivjg5z.jpg

amb5_zpsw6yzunne.jpg

amb8_zps3gexxlvk.jpg

amb6_zpsdp91jv9r.jpg

amb10_zpsntduwmaw.jpg

The paint job required before you can start decalling;

amb1_zps2a1q9dna.jpg

'With something else' - a double this time!. It goes well with the Welsh Models HS.748 Budgie;

amb12_zpskfpuptq5.jpg

And I couldn't resist parking these 2 together, for 1 obvious reason;

amb11_zps3mfs0t2p.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 42

Hi John,

Have to agree with everyone else, this is an excellent model. I love the exhaust stains on the wings!

Is the obvious reason you photographed the Ambassador and Constellation together because the both have black red and white liveries? Or is it because they both have 3 rudders?

Looking forward to your next model!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Beautiful work John.  :clap2:

Your introduction suggests the kit was the original full vacform rather than the later version with resin flying surfaces.  If that's right you've done an amazing job on the trailing edges!  

• Like 1

Very nice build and the "with something else" pics are a real treat.I esp. like the HS748 among them.

I have an incomplete 1/72 vac-form Ambassador kit.Still collectig bits and pieces to complete it some day...

Ray from 26 made me a new "BKS" decal sheet for this scale some time ago,so I am one step closer but still missing the Motors..

• Like 1

Thank all for the kind comments.

On 4/16/2017 at 0:25 PM, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

Have to agree with everyone else, this is an excellent model. I love the exhaust stains on the wings!

Is the obvious reason you photographed the Ambassador and Constellation together because the both have black red and white liveries? Or is it because they both have 3 rudders?

Looking forward to your next model!

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, I should have said '3 reasons'. It was indeed the triple tails.

21 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Beautiful work John.  :clap2:

Your introduction suggests the kit was the original full vacform rather than the later version with resin flying surfaces.  If that's right you've done an amazing job on the trailing edges!  

Dave, Resin one? didn't know Densil did one with resin wings. Could have save me time there. Mind you, I took it with me when working away from home for weeks on end. This is mostly a 'Hotel Build'.(Cue people in the next room 'Whats up with that guy next door, all the scratching and scraping sound. Has he got nits or something. :lol:)

21 hours ago, stringbag said:

Small enough to bring along to the next coffee evening too

Chris.

No problem Chris, I'll bring it over once you've finished that Dan Air 727. Or anything really :P.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Nice collection of well turned out airliners. Great to see too.

They used to have an "Ambo" at Dan-Air's Lasham base along with Dak, Comet 4 and York all in Dan's colours and could just walk on to them at lunch breaks. Remember the TCA Connies at London Airport (North) or really low over our house/school in  late 58/59 (One of the best looking schemes of the day )

Well done, thanks for showing !