Ferrari 246 GT

Hello All,

I have had this one on the back-burner for years. I have finally decided, what with the FIAT 500 nearly done and another couple of cars nearing completion as well, to resurrect this one.

It's the Fujimi 1/24 246 Dino. It's one of their 'enthusiast' kits, meaning loads of fiddly tiny parts. I have already done a couple of the Porsche enthusiast kits and apart from a few niggles, they went together well. I just wish I knew where I had put them in the loft for safe keeping.

I started it a while ago and then put into storage, where it got forgotten for a long while.

y4mze4aSJfNlW-zmKJA2LlTLb9mgSBvFy01ABGQG

y4m50inZbdyhLIcmfp9NG2EOM4Rk5eAkK8S7bC6M

y4mC6Qv-NQPyFMjKHa8RoZzHyzT9nPxKKFBe8bnc

y4mdU3n-nQjnQrggl_HjRK-LLsiLialKIHXjLu0k

y4mJlu4DnzJ_tRZJD3dX6Lnym1sQkUcmAc0dENVi

y4mabKLUhBwbgNOuU9dZ-3o_aQDJlagzVdBKSVlb

I have painted all the major body parts in Halfords' 'Broome Yellow'. It has come out quite well, even gloss cover and no serious imperfections.

This is the dinky little engine:

y4mCConTRvsjCPMUGnRdIVdxnWP3uU9HciAaRRIC

y4mR3FNMAAW_HrpU2GwBpsUeRfVdCCnK385ZXSgf

I have put a few more parts together since these photos were taken.

I am planning to add ignition leads as it looks a little bare without.

Thanks for looking, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

As part of my bulk-upload of build updates, here is the current state of the 246.

As with the Ferrari 348, I have given the engine a wash with the same thinned brown/black mix to enhance the details on the engine.

I have also added the exhaust manifolds. The fit was appalling! I need to do some remedial work there. That may happen today, I'm not sure...

Anyway, here are the pictures:

y4muGL8mL0aJOq1UULOVYetav6jW3zfLTy2GLwtQ

y4mItL-oKJIJ6ND-QkSWbGHBwoIoeuu_cpYHGUsU

y4mh8Aij5l-IHWh4flwrShj9MlLOZlHAma9Oqt0b

y4mdjbWTX6yjzdMkBBTrmb8CT5aSFrvE0bS59LRw

Don't look too closely at where the exhaust manifolds 'meet' the cylinder heads, because they don't!

I think a very careful insertion of milliput is required here...

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 5

Hi All,

I have managed to get some more done to this.

I finally got the engine into the floor-pan. This was not without some issues. Whilst cementing the engine in place, one of the four engine mounts came loose, and as I was trying to re-fix it, it went 'ping' never to be seen again!

Anyway, I managed to cement it in place and it all seems stable with only three mounting points.

This kit seems determined to fight me all the way though. As I was trying to pick something off the floor (I can't remember what), I nudged the table the floor pan was on, and the damn thing fell on the floor, dislodging the engine from the floor-pan, leaving one mount still attached to the frame, and one not quite attached to either!

After some cussing, I managed to re-attach the loose engine mount, and to re-attach the engine to the floor-pan, without any real damage done.

Anyway, pictures:

y4mGp4jyrqGvajqDvTSqFXKl-6GHYe-zMOtgqe3V

y4mzM_KiZ8a7NeBHGkFcudJ__XO4sWY2IGZi_PkH

y4m_Y1OyYlFjfEhJv8_e-kvPvhh990eJ1Kpeh9t1

y4mc9fDc_z0qtSFZv39lmQWv1hWevRkIUrfRQRJ6

The next stage was the front suspension and steering.

I had another problem here whilst trying to detach one of the hubs from the sprue. One of the steering arms on the hub, snapped off! I was able to re-attach the arm to the hub, but I know that the join, being a 'butt' join is never as string as the original. :(, so I assembled the steering and suspension with some apprehension. The problem was going to be fitting the steering rack to the axles, without putting too much stress on the axle arm.

Fortunately, with some care, I was able to pop the steering rack on the two axles without any issues. Phew! It all fits together and works! I'll just have to be careful when fitting the wheels. I think...

The front suspension:

y4mT87Nj7iYSLm9PEjaDi3AjQXbQtGE-CgER7e5m

Now, on to the rear suspension...

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 5

Hi Roy,

I am an analytical person. I believe that I am proficient at problem solving. It comes in very useful in my day job as a software engineer. Not trying to blow my own trumpet here, but I am usually able to solve a problem in computer code.

I think that this hobby is about solving problems and feeling really satisfied when a solution works. I see that in the kind of work you are doing here. I am constantly blown away by the craftsmanship and problem solving of my fellow britmodellers!

I am honoured to be a member of such a group of fine modellers.

Thanks, Alan.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Another one that I haven't updated for a while.

Actually, I have made some considerable progress. It's just that I haven't uploaded the images!

Anyway here we are:

y4mIczk1mqycJGdtOzu6h0SBDvmzfMAEoW83c6iq

I have managed to install the exhaust system and a floor pan for the trunk. I think that there was some luggage space at the rear as well as the front.

Sorry it's a bit blurry. The next is much better...

y4mQYSKCehukROtgSnFJCspd_ZdK1PxhylcKxQ6Q

The exhaust system on this car is a a bit convoluted with pipes going all over the place...

y4mcMZnxzNxe8ftf8F00suq_KPcaNZAUbMQ_sRs_

Here it is from the side. All very compact.

y4mS87LyjMXdAHU7jfR_ptQAmy9hxlP0CZWbtEe4

From above.

Finally, I managed to get the cockpit tub assembled (from five pieces!). Tamiya would have moulded in one bit!

I have also primed it and the two seats as well:

y4m61BE2EStn-kaDBuVz16viNsfK6rtRyvXioe-I

Here they are, primed and ready to get their top coat.

y4mNsZzVNcYtWBV7MiwkzqaPiJa_wpVl8Ii_fiHR

There are three bits from a Ferrari 348 there as well.

All in all, some decent progress made, I think.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Some minor updates. I have managed to get the seats and cockpit painted.

I used ZP grey primer followed by a top coat of Halfords' Satin Black to simulate the leather.

After the paint was applied, I noticed that some filling I had done wasn't very good. So I had to re-sand the backs and re-paint them.

Anyway, here are the results:

y4mQj6KDx0IhBfaOHItmEIKm6YK2VRpsdS-uF35N

y4mAPCaOI_R4bZlP1d-wFD0Dn8T62SvXu6qxwxkk

y4m6J71cbwhgfcBFw7iTlcUF5ki43HbJjTAxh8Ml

y4mrpFWoJQeTCyn3BkyQKGZ5L-fi5yURo-3mrnZv

More to come.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

• Like 3

Hi dbostream,

This isn't the first "enthusiast" kit I have built. I built a very long time ago, two different Porsche 911 kits in the range. They are somewhere in my loft, but I can't find them. 😕

If I recall, they were superb kits, but a bit fiddly in places.

When you get around to building yours, I'm sure you will find the building process rewarding.

All the best,

Alan.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Some more updates to the 246.

The next stage is the cockpit and the front 'luggage' compartment. Just how much luggage you could get in there is somewhat moot ...

Anyway, this is where I have got:

y4mjXTW-0kXAlih6JedxqMqZvPJwW0Cb0bTVO2y7

I primed the interior and the seats with ZP grey primer, followed by a top coat of Halfords' Satin Black.

You have to be careful with the Halfords'' paint as of course, they intend it for spraying large areas of real cars (Who would have thought!).

With care however, a very good coat can be applied without resorting to the very messy business of decanting to an air-brush bottle...

Given a little time to cure, the finish is very good indeed.

y4muq_0WXrMVUs_2PI0W6VM0ArWeI10lCwhYNaRI

Before installing the seats, I need to paint the hand-brake and gear-stick, then once the seats are installed, I'll attach the dash-board.

y4mGJC-XS2XaArgrCOU_s-Fk9aW8cq6LyVwr-BCI

In the enthusiast kits, there seems to be a degree of unnecessary complexity. In this kit, the dash-board is made up of two parts. The problem lies in getting the two to line up without a step. Anyway after a lot of careful sanding I removed most of the step, and only needed a bit of filler to hide the rest.

This is how it looked after the filler was applied. Not particularly pretty.

y4mYkudh5TiQNM2J_vtihy0kMqHVPP21v7tG2-qy

Here are the rest of the cockpit and luggage compartment components prepped for priming.

y4mZH1cq-z-u0WC_SZiBRmgAdEUP5E1kf_YH1scO

I have since sprayed satin black on these parts.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

• Like 2

Very inspiring work in progress! Splendid step by step pictures and explanations of the work done.

A beautiful car as well (said the huge fan) and you are turning this slightly stubborn kit into a smashing miniature, with so much patience and problem solving creativity. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Some updates on this one.

The engine cover is a complex multi-part affair, and I was worried that the fit would be not very good.

However, It fitted very well indeed. A bit of a gap to fill, but otherwise no problems.

So, after applying some Mr White Filler and letting it set for about 24 hours, I sanded it back, and re-painted the flying buttresses.

So, here are the pictures:

y4mIi4Ptg1merl4yE8SWRZ8UuAFY0vKEHaDRDcos

y4mRKRhnxWRFkNzSJoV4-6U6NJT2KLrJUXphf9RG

If you look closely, you can just see the shoulder belts of the seat belts. I had to cut some thin strips of paper, and paint it dark-grey, but Fujimi provide the buckles.

Moe soon.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I got some more of this done.

My biggest fear was that getting the body to fit over the chassis would be a problem.

It appears that the back of the chassis is much bigger than the aperture at the back of the body. I thought the best way to attempt this was to insert the front of the chassis into the front of the body, then manoeuvre the back of the chassis into the too small aperture. No pictures unfortunately, which would make the explanation easier.

Anyway,  that didn't work. I couldn't work out how the flex the body or chassis in order to make the chassis fit. (The instructions were very un-clear at this point!).

So, I tried the other way, but putting the back of the chassis in, followed by the front. No dice. This was even more difficult.

So it was back to the other way again. This time I noticed that if you twisted the chassis very slightly, you could slip the left side (or the right, it doesn't matter) into the aperture, the pushing the whole thing further to the left, the right hand side then slipped in the other side and the whole thing just popped into place. Bingo! a bit of adjustment afterwards and the thing was fitted. So here are some pictures:

y4mcVzgHI33_VsakZI6a5DDgNDPHT79zgZKxeAf0

All neatly fitted, and no glue to hold things together.

BTW, the exhaust pipes fell off at least once during this phase, but with care I was able to re-attach them, and touch them up with a bit of metallic grey.

The tail-pipes are painted in Molotow Chrome. I need to get some more, the pen has nearly run out...

y4mB4VO7oMNJ3YpfbNMJq_aL31ouzix381GWrD1x

Here it is the other way up. Another of my concerns was that the glazing didn't seem to fit terribly well. There was a gap at the top no matter what I did to coax the glue to hold it in place.

I hoped that the dash-board would push it into place when the body was installed. Fortunately, it did.

My next concern (there seem to be a lot of these here!), was the fitting of the wheels.

The wheels have five little studs that are supposed to fit into five little holes in the hubs, just like real wheels. However, my experience with the Fujimi enthusiast Porsche 911s was that trying to align wheel and hub was a problem...

In this case, they aligned very easily. You have to screw the wheels onto the hubs and then cover the screw-heads with little covers on the wheels.

Anyway, some more pictures:

y4mG_vYoWlJd9p9eac2nxL6R1quRoUx_a_fZkWm-

They seems to fit well,

y4mu4nl4zRaoNrCkbcbBe_KoiDQtUAXJCY72YnbG

y4m5C76c8TMgHMP-6CWJTle5FW6hx-6SS7q4ijZL

I used PVA glue to put the little caps on. Seems to have worked well.

Well, that's where I have got to. There's still a lot to do, but I feel that I am on the final furlong with this one.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 6

• 1 year later...

Alan.

Another EXCEPTIONAL bit of modeling from you with this STUNNING Yellow  (    :heart:   )  Ferrari..

:wub:  MY favorite car indeed..

Engine et al looks AWESOME 

:wow:

Looks like you got yourself another BEAUTIFUL Ferrari to build.

This Build ROCKS  !!

Keep it coming.

On 01/06/2019 at 17:26, Alan R said:

My next concern (there seem to be a lot of these here!), was the fitting of the wheels.

The wheels have five little studs that are supposed to fit into five little holes in the hubs, just like real wheels. However, my experience with the Fujimi enthusiast Porsche 911s was that trying to align wheel and hub was a problem...

In this case, they aligned very easily. You have to screw the wheels onto the hubs and then cover the screw-heads with little covers on the wheels.

Nice build, it looks like it should come together into a great-looking model of a very pretty car.

The wheels sound incredibly fiddly to put on, I'm surprised you didn't end up mad and cross-eyed!

On 6/16/2020 at 4:48 PM, johnlambert said:

I'm surprised you didn't end up mad and cross-eyed!

Who said I didn't ! 😜

Alan. :)

• Haha 3