WW2 Tamiya 1/48 Russian Armour Diorama plus a Yak-3 - finished and in the Gallery - 31/08/17

PlaStix

On 12/08/2017 at 18:08, Hewy said:

Ace stix, love the medals

Thank you! ICM's moulding on these figures is very nice.

13 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Glad I was of some help Stix. Your Yak-3 looks brilliant and so do your figures - what a great achievement!

Looking forward seeing all coming together on your diorama.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter and thank you. I managed to get some more done on the scene today.

Yesterday I had planned out the base and applied some filler:

IMG_9506

IMG_9507

This had set by this morning but I decided to add a bit more filler here and there. Once set I applied some paint - thinned Humbrol Dark Earth:

IMG_9523

IMG_9524

While waiting for the various stages of the base to dry I worked on finishing off adding the stowage to the back of each tank before fitting the figures I am going to use on each one:

IMG_9509

IMG_9512

IMG_9513

IMG_9516

IMG_9517

IMG_9518

IMG_9520

IMG_9521

IMG_9522

Later this evening I got a layer of blended turf applied on some areas of the base but no photos yet.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well I've only just got to this at page eight but the good news is that there were seven pages of modelling goodness to read through. So I've learned:

* SU 122s are incredibly low profile, even lower than a T 34

* You can do aeroplanes as nicely as you do tanks (which is very nicely)

* It's possible to fix a camouflage scheme after you have futured it up. Excellent save!

FWIW my gotos for VVS grey/grey are Humbrol 32 and 106. I'm still working on an underside Blue that I'm happy with.

I have learned a ton in this thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing the diorama unfold too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 20:45, Badder said:

Superdooper work on the figures. And the base is looking great. This is going to be a fine display.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you very much, most kind.

On 8/13/2017 at 21:51, AdrianMF said:

Well I've only just got to this at page eight but the good news is that there were seven pages of modelling goodness to read through. So I've learned:

* SU 122s are incredibly low profile, even lower than a T 34

* You can do aeroplanes as nicely as you do tanks (which is very nicely)

* It's possible to fix a camouflage scheme after you have futured it up. Excellent save!

FWIW my gotos for VVS grey/grey are Humbrol 32 and 106. I'm still working on an underside Blue that I'm happy with.

I have learned a ton in this thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing the diorama unfold too.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian and thank you very much - you are very kind.

Yes SU 122s were very low profile weren't they - low and mean! Quite an impressive weapon.

With regards working over the Pledge coat - yes I was concerned about doing this. I had done some light weathering over Pledge before but not anywhere as near much I did on this one. I wanted to avoid actually painting so opted to use very thinned acrylic paint applied with stippling brushes. I have realised that I didn't include any photos during the actual process so here they are.

First off - this is how it looked after the original painting and Pledge coat:

IMG_9157

This photo shows how it looked after the first stippled coat of Gunship Grey:

IMG_9163

This one shows it after the second stippled coat:

IMG_9167

Third coat and some specific work on the edges of the camo:

IMG_9172

Before I stippled on the darker grey areas with the Tank Grey:

IMG_9175

This is when I then dry-brushed it all slightly before giving it another coat of Pledge.

.....and the final result:

IMG_9336

I hope the above is of some use.

Not much of an update but some photos to show the base with some blended turf applied:

IMG_9525

IMG_9526

IMG_9527

More greenery will be applied next.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

On 16/08/2017 at 21:25, AdrianMF said:

That last shot of the Yak is pretty amazing!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian.

Today I have been adding more greenery to the base plus a road sign. I would have liked to spend more time on this project but I've made a few compromises to make sure I have a chance of getting it finished in time. The base itself is just about finished - I just need to add all the kits and figures plus finish some areas of greenery. A few photos:

IMG_9557

IMG_9560

IMG_9562

IMG_9564

Once this is all set I will get the various bits and pieces fixed in place.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Spectacular diorama base with very authentic looking trees! How did you make them? And what greenery material did you use for the grass and bushes?

This is my favored shot.

36255130840_828c98b0a6_b.jpg

Just love the perspective - looks so real :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 18/08/2017 at 23:36, Davek72 said:

Stix

Amazing work all round and I love the fact "you have made compromises" when most of us only dream of the quality of what you do.

Well done sir.

Dave K

Hi Dave and thank you very much for your very (too) kind comments - your Meteor turned out beautifully. The thing is I really enjoy making scenes for models but if I do them outside of a GB, where there isn't a deadline, I tend to try and, I think, overdo them so much so that, in a couple of cases, I've not finished them and lost interest. Making scenes for GBs usually means I work out ways of simplifying things so I get them done in time.

On 20/08/2017 at 08:33, modelling minion said:

Dave is right Stix, I would be over the moon if I could produce as effective a diorama as this is turning out to be and if I could brush paint and build to this standard.

Like Dave you are way too kind Craig but thank you. Seeing the things you produce, like the inside detailing on your current 'pencil' project I know you produce work of a higher standard! :worthy:

On 20/08/2017 at 11:44, Basilisk said:

Spectacular diorama base with very authentic looking trees! How did you make them? And what greenery material did you use for the grass and bushes?

This is my favored shot.

36255130840_828c98b0a6_b.jpg

Just love the perspective - looks so real :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter and thank you for your very kind comments. I'm afraid the trees are one of the compromises - I haven't got @Badder's skill or patience, let alone the time to make trees. The trees I use are ready made from Woodland Scenics 'Woodland Classics' range. The main scatter material is from Woodland Scenics again - mostly Blended Turf on this scene and all the tufts are from the Army Painter ranges.

37 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Miniature magic stix, simple as that

Glynn

Hi Glynn - you are very kind as always! :thumbsup:

33 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

In the view above it looks like the terrain slopes down to the coast, I can see the sea horizon.

Hi John - you are very kind but are you sure you've not started on the wine already?

Well..........over the past weekend I actually managed to this as finished as it's ever going to be! I have taken lots of photos which I will try and get posted in the relevant places over the next few days. This coming weekend Mrs PlaStix and I are going to have a go in the Blitzbuild GB - if you have the time make sure you take part - it was great fun last year. 

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

I haven't got @Badder's skill or patience, let alone the time to make trees. The trees I use are ready made from Woodland Scenics 'Woodland Classics' range. The main scatter material is from Woodland Scenics again - mostly Blended Turf on this scene and all the tufts are from the Army Painter ranges.

Stix, I've showed you how I make trees :D And I know for a fact that you have the skill to make your own; whether you copy my method or not. And you MUST have patience! You couldn't produce all your fine work if you didn't.

Your work rate is quadruple mine and yet in every sphere of our hobby your work is, I think, far better than mine. You are one of those modellers whose style is instantly recognisable, and instantly likeable. I haven't seen a 'duff' Stix model/diorama yet!

And here is another fine example of your work! A great base... with excellent groundwork. The bank is exceptional, and the weed scattered, bared, dried and cracked mud of the  'tankpark' is superb.  Okay, you know I don't like the Woodland Scenics trees, but I have to say these particular ones aren't bad at all.

When those tanks are in place this is going to look wonderful, and worthy of the utmost praises and prizes.

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 1

Just catching up Stix,outstanding work all round,about time one of the modeling magazines came knocking easily the equal of anything

to be found in them!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2017 at 19:03, Badder said:

Stix, I've showed you how I make trees :D And I know for a fact that you have the skill to make your own; whether you copy my method or not. And you MUST have patience! You couldn't produce all your fine work if you didn't.

Your work rate is quadruple mine and yet in every sphere of our hobby your work is, I think, far better than mine. You are one of those modellers whose style is instantly recognisable, and instantly likeable. I haven't seen a 'duff' Stix model/diorama yet!

And here is another fine example of your work! A great base... with excellent groundwork. The bank is exceptional, and the weed scattered, bared, dried and cracked mud of the  'tankpark' is superb.  Okay, you know I don't like the Woodland Scenics trees, but I have to say these particular ones aren't bad at all.

When those tanks are in place this is going to look wonderful, and worthy of the utmost praises and prizes.

Rearguards,

Badder.

Hi Badder and thank you very much for all your way too kind comments. At some point I promise I will have a go and not use Woodland Scenics trees but make my own. It probably won't be for a while though.

On 8/22/2017 at 23:02, stevej60 said:

Just catching up Stix, outstanding work all round, about time one of the modeling magazines came knocking easily the equal of anything to be found in them!

Thank you very much Steve - you are very kind.

On 8/22/2017 at 23:36, SimonT said:

Agreed!

Thank you Simon - you are most kind too.

Well I have now managed to get all the photos posted in the relevant sections - and there are a lot of them!

The Yak-3 RFI photos can be found: here

The three tanks can be found: here

The photos of the diorama are: here

Gallery photos are: here

And finally a few of the scene on it's frame here:

IMG_9679

IMG_9685

IMG_9692

IMG_9690

IMG_9687

IMG_9681

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

One word, STUNNING

I first was a bit concerned how you will display the aircraft with the tanks on the diorama. But the treeline does provide a natural separation which works extremely well.

You should be very proud for what you done.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder and thank you very much for all your way too kind comments. At some point I promise I will have a go and not use Woodland Scenics trees but make my own. It probably won't be for a while though.

Cool.

Be warned, once you make your owny ou'll never go back! So you'll have to factor the extra time needed for your dioramas/vignettes.

I have to agree with those who've commented on this diorama being worthy of a magazine feature. It IS stunning. Vehicles, plane and figures aside, (which are absolutely fantastic in their own right) the groundwork is superb, especially that mud!

And the composition? Well, whether it was deliberate or not, I'm pretty sure it comes close to obeying the law of the 'Golden Rectangle'  which was described by Leonardo of Pisa, aka Fibonacci, circa 1200 AD, as being the perfect layout for any art. It's to do with ratios, and a square within a rectangle, and that grassed off area and tree line are pretty much spot on it.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2017 at 11:14, Basilisk said:

One word, STUNNING

I first was a bit concerned how you will display the aircraft with the tanks on the diorama. But the treeline does provide a natural separation which works extremely well.

You should be very proud for what you done.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter and thank you very much - you are very kind. And thank you for all your efforts as GB host - it was a thoroughly enjoyable GB and your dedicated hosting contributed immensely. Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1