WW2 Tamiya 1/48 Russian Armour Diorama plus a Yak-3 - finished and in the Gallery - 31/08/17

PlaStix

On 6/18/2017 at 0:51 PM, Basilisk said:

I was sure I posted a comment on Wednesday, but couldn't see it and when I started this post, it popped up again - I forgot to hit the "Submit Reply" button :wall:

No problem Peter. Like I am at the moment, I often browse and post while waiting for trains. My current one is now 11 minutes late! I often have to stop mid-post to catch a train and frequently forget where I'd got to with the post.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:51 PM, Basilisk said:

Anyway, since the pictures of your production line you nearly completed them :yikes: Your washes did bring all the small details alive and made the monotone colour scheme much more interesting. They will look stunning after the weathering is in place. Cheers, Peter

Thank you Peter although there is still a lot more I need to do on all of them!

On 6/18/2017 at 1:27 PM, Hewy said:

That kv really lends itself to your weathering style stix, very nice

Glynn

Thank you Glynn - these Tamiya kits really do have some lovely detail that enhances well with dry-brushing.

Only one update photo from yesterday afternoon - I spent a lot of time carefully cutting out all the decals (I say all - the versions I have chosen to make these as don't have many decals). But I do cut all the carrier film away to avoid any silvering - which I have experienced with Tamiya decals on tanks before:

35000832690_e9d51243dd_b.jpg

I did do some more on other bits and pieces but nothing that's worth photographing.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

They just get better and better!

Thank you very much Craig.:thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good progress Stix.  The KV looks good and HEAVY beside the toothless SU.

OT: I like that perspective shot too

Thank you very much Robert and you are right - it does!

The angle of the photo does show the scale of each quite well.

On Saturday morning I decided that, although the three tanks are not complete yet, I wanted to be able to make a start on the Zvezda Yak-3 as soon as I could - I've still got stuff I want to build in other GBs too. :frantic:

I haven't started it yet - might try and do something on it during the evenings this week - but I did get it washed in warm soapy water and got some photos of the box, sprues and instructions.

A reminder of the box art:

35228459191_f5bf4fa4b9_b.jpg

The contents of the box except the clear parts and instuctions:

34971101940_009687b082_b.jpg

The clear parts:

34515199204_f911f08719_b.jpg

Sprues:

35228460461_87a8d0fefb_b.jpg

35358271395_7c52f00eaf_b.jpg

35358270745_5735622545_b.jpg

Decals:

34971106130_d2b96283b4_b.jpg

Some photos of, what looks to me, to be some nice detail:

34515195374_891a32617a_b.jpg

34971105310_936f71cea5_b.jpg

35358268965_6a83ea98fe_b.jpg

34515194504_c5bee5be7f_b.jpg

34548225413_16bb8bcf0e_b.jpg

It even comes with a pilot who can have alternate heads/arms - in flight/or on the ground - I'm probably not going to use him for this project as I will explain below.

34515193834_41cd767635_b.jpg

Samples of the instructions:

34515193574_29fa81a850_b.jpg

34548222773_4d72fa19df_b.jpg

My original intention for this whole project was to do something similar to my MTO GB desert tank diorama - with the aircraft flying overhead. However, when I saw that this Zvezda kit came with, what looks to be quite a nice engine that can be displayed with the covers off, I figured I can save some time and have the plane being serviced on the ground - it takes quite a bit of planning and time to get a motor installed in these aircraft. I have checked and I think I can get everything onto the base I was planning to use. It might be a bit tight but we'll see. I may try and start the engine sometime this week - I might need to add a few cables here and there - I have found a few photos of the engine on t'internet.

Comments and suggestion welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

On 6/19/2017 at 4:59 PM, Biggles87 said:

Yeah a Yak, it looks very nice and well detailed as is usual with Zvevda. I have their La5 and keep looking at it but havn't yet plucked up the courage to start it.

Waiting impatiently for more.

John

Hi John. As I don't want to test your patience any more I thought I'd better get on and make a start on the Yak - please see below.

On 6/19/2017 at 11:52 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Looks like a nice kit, the Yak-3.  I'll be interested to see how it builds

It does look good and I have started work on it last night - please see below.

Yesterday evening I managed to find some time for a bit of modelling and I decided, so as not to test John's patience any further, to start on the Yak-3 :). I started with the engine as I'm planning on having the aircraft displayed with the cowlings off. The detail and number of parts seem to suggest this should look pretty impressive when it's made up and in place. For the most part it goes together fairly well. There are a couple of minor niggles - there is a little flash here and there that is a little tricky to clean up - and some of the parts don't have really positive joints. Some of the sprue gates are a little thick and have been located where it means some detail gets missed out. The instructions (I think) are a little vague in places (the latter could just be me but I made up a couple of the engine sections according to the instructions but when I came to do a test fit they were built the wrong way round.......it may have been the heat or me being tired but I managed to get them sorted out. Finally there are some really, really tiny parts which seemed as if they could have been just molded as part of the bigger parts they attach to - but hey, it's a kit right!?

Anyway - only one photo to show the parts I had fixed together or got ready for painting. You'll notice I have, as usual, left some attached to bits of sprue so I have something to hold while brush painting them:

34590066644_1d9e95d3fb_b.jpg

I don't finish work until later today so it may be tomorrow before I get any painting started.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Looking forward to the yak build stix ,any plans on the diorama yet ? Im in the planning stage for the vignette for  my little carrier at the minute now ive got the f-111 out of the way, I've a couple of early ideas for mine

Glynn

On 21/06/2017 at 12:31, Basilisk said:

Can't have enough Yak-3s in the GB :D

Cheers, Peter

Definitely can't!

On 21/06/2017 at 18:11, modelling minion said:

You're showing us up again Stix!

This is going to be at least as good as your MTO diorama if not better.

I'm now even more interested in this project than ever.

You are seriously way too kind! But thank you.

On 21/06/2017 at 21:48, Hewy said:

Looking forward to the yak build stix ,any plans on the diorama yet ? Im in the planning stage for the vignette for  my little carrier at the minute now ive got the f-111 out of the way, I've a couple of early ideas for mine

Glynn

Hi Glynn. The diorama is probably going to be the three tanks passing the edge of an airfield where the Yak is being worked on. I have a couple of idea for some small scenes within the diorama but a lot will depend on time. I must admit I thought I'd be a bit further on than I am now. :frantic:

Progress was slow at the weekend and I got less done than I thought. I decided to concentrate on one tank at a time from now on and chose to work towards the finish with the SU122 first - mainly due to the fact that I felt it was my least favourite of the three to start with. As I've worked on it, however, it has definitely grown on me and I've come to rather admire the kind of brutal appearance of it. First off I concentratrated on getting the chipping effects applied with a very fine brush using Humbrol's Gunmetal. Over these areas I stippled a wash of Revell's Anthracite to tone done the shine a little. Then I applied some Railmatch Lght Rust to various locations before adding a range of streaks using different colour washes. Finally there was a stippled on wash of Humbrol's Dark Earth. 

Here's a photo before I started assembling the remaining parts:

35145406490_339dcea44c_b.jpg

Then once all the other parts were attached:

34722675673_f8e80a9fdd_b.jpg

34690687864_85cda9a79f_b.jpg

35145413340_0bb52b0fba_b.jpg

34690687354_5d198cd621_b.jpg

35145412900_f40f2bee91_b.jpg

35145412530_ea0666bf07_b.jpg

35145414360_798ffb96bd_b.jpg

34690688424_a3525d14b9_b.jpg

34690685834_7b3110b5a1_b.jpg

35532067725_ba4ca10232_b.jpg

I still need to work on some areas of the weathering plus add some mud before it'll be finished.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Some great weathering effect Stix. Specially the streaking on the sides looks very nice. How did you achieve this effect?

I am not sure about the rust effect you added. It kind of gives the impression that the tank was in outdoor storage for a while without being used.

But as a whole, an unbelievable nice paint job with lots of attention to detail. :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 20:13, fatfingers said:

Simply stunning work Stix! 😎👍

Regards 

Steve 

Thank you Steve! Most kind. :thumbsup:

On 6/26/2017 at 20:18, Biggles87 said:

The weathering looks pretty good to me, and all in 1/48. Wow!

Cheers

John

Thank you John for your very kind comments. :thumbsup:

On 6/26/2017 at 21:43, Hewy said:

Fabulous,you've really bought the su to life, great weathering 

Glynn

Thank you too Glynn - very kind of you to say. :thumbsup2:

On 6/26/2017 at 22:41, Robert Stuart said:

Looks good Stix, I can't wait to see the other two (+ Yak)

Thank you very much Robert and me too!! :winkgrin:

On 6/27/2017 at 08:00, modelling minion said:

Wow! That weathering is simply superb, some of the best I have seen.

It's very realistic and not over done at all, this all bodes very well for the other tanks.

Thank you very much Craig - very kind of you. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Some great weathering effect Stix. Specially the streaking on the sides looks very nice. How did you achieve this effect?

All my weathering effects are done with standard acrylic paints - Revell's Light Grey and Gunship Grey, Revell's Anthracite, Railmatch's Light Rust and oil streaks from Citadel's Nuln Oil. All are applied very thinned but almost dry with a very fine pointed brush. I use farily rapid, dragged downward stokes. If I think there's too much paint I use a finger end to remove some - moving in the same direction as the flow of the effect. It can take several strokes to build up the effect.

3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

I am not sure about the rust effect you added. It kind of gives the impression that the tank was in outdoor storage for a while without being used.

It actually doesn't look as noticeable in real life as in the photos but I must admit really like the effect it gives both in the photos and on the tank itself. Some modellers go more overboard with rust effects on armour than I have - I have toned the effects down a lot compared to some. I agree that the actual armoured surfaces themselves wouldn't be prone to rust but I think that some of the fittings, etc. might be more susceptible and that is what I have gone for. I think it's a matter of of personal taste and I do like these effects. I'm not doing these tanks as being heavily battered and weathered but as if they have been around for a couple of years. The scene I am doing (with some artistic licence) is based later in the war. So they may be a bit rusty here and there.

Thank you for your comments though! :thumbsup: 

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Thank you very much Glynn! :thumbsup: Your Universal Carrier, over in the Made in Britain II GB, is turning out beautifully too. I haven't got the 1/35 version like yours but the 1/48 one - but your build is making me think it may get made sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to seeing yours with the figures and stowage stuff too!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 6/28/2017 at 18:48, Valkyrie said:

🤤holy hell, how good is this, top armour work, that weathering

that is skill stix

Thank you very much Valkyrie - that's most kind of you!

Only one photo today - I have started work on some of the figures I'm going to use - they are from the Tamiya Russian Infantry and Tank Crew set:

IMG_8818

I'm thinking of working on the T-34 tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1