WW2 Tamiya 1/48 Russian Armour Diorama plus a Yak-3 - finished and in the Gallery - 31/08/17

PlaStix

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

I have spent a lot of time on this today but it's not been particularly exciting. Tamiya, in their infinite wisdom, decided have loads of ejector pin marks in the tracks which, in the T-34 tracks, needed filling. This means I had to do two sets as the SU122 uses the same tracks. I decided, however, to only fill the ones which might be seen

At least it is now all behind you and you can look forward to the fun part of the build. But the tracks will look much better with the filled ejector pin marks :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

At least it is now all behind you and you can look forward to the fun part of the build. But the tracks will look much better with the filled ejector pin marks :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

That is very true, thank you Peter.

Not spent too much time on this today but I did manage to give all the track parts that I'm using a couple of thinned coats of Revell's Anthracite before dry-brushing on some Humbrol Gunmetal - samples of the ones for the T34 and SU122:

34650470925_1544aaf863_c.jpg

34609607916_ec8afe3913_c.jpg

Samples of the KV-1 tracks:

34264960170_ee3d9be8c8_c.jpg

34650469035_80a95b119a_c.jpg

I need to add some base weathering on these next but that will probably have to wait until next week.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That is very true, thank you Peter.

Not spent too much time on this today but I did manage to give all the track parts that I'm using a couple of thinned coats of Revell's Anthracite before dry-brushing on some Humbrol Gunmetal - samples of the ones for the T34 and SU122:

34650470925_1544aaf863_c.jpg

34609607916_ec8afe3913_c.jpg

Samples of the KV-1 tracks:

34264960170_ee3d9be8c8_c.jpg

34650469035_80a95b119a_c.jpg

I need to add some base weathering on these next but that will probably have to wait until next week.

Kind regards,

Stix

Great job on the tracks stix lovely weathering 

Glynn

• Like 3

On 5/14/2017 at 1:40 PM, Hewy said:

Great job on the tracks stix lovely weathering 

Glynn

Thanks Glynn. I have done some more weathering on the tracks but just realised I didn't take any photos! I'll try and take some before the weekend.

On 5/14/2017 at 4:09 PM, modelling minion said:

As Glynn says Stix, the tracks look very nice, shame about all the filling you had to do though.

Thank you Craig. The filing was a bit dull but I'd rather do it than be disappointed when everything's together and they show clearly.

On 5/16/2017 at 9:17 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix, That is a lot of awkward filling and filing but it will be worth it :) 

Thank you Nigel.

On 5/18/2017 at 7:20 AM, Biggles87 said:

I'm just sitting here patiently waiting for the Yak.

John

No problem John - might be a while though.

Progress was a bit slow this weekend - partly due to the fact I decided to fit some flooring in the bathroom. That went all right so most probably gardening next weekend......:dull:

First off I got the wheels for the KV-1 assembled:

34755053886_13aeef1ff1_c.jpg

Then I got the sides of each of the hulls weathered - various washes applied:

34662363231_66505cc240_c.jpg

33985830653_c41b46bdfb_c.jpg

Following an application of some Mig European Dry Mud I got the wheels fitted on the KV-1 lower hull - I took these photos yesterday evening and the light wasn't great:

33963884734_1c7e647bae_c.jpg

33997326803_70955a94c8_c.jpg

33997326503_17b0411136_c.jpg

33963883254_d6399d01b1_c.jpg

As I mentioned above - I have also added some washes to the tracks and I will hopefully post some photos soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Hi Stix,

I love the dirty weathering you have achieved on the lower hulls of these tanks. Really good without going too far.

This is making me want to do a mud crawler.......distracting me from the wingy things!!

Cheers

Greg :yes::yes:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Progress was a bit slow this weekend - partly due to the fact I decided to fit some flooring in the bathroom. That went all right so most probably gardening next weekend......:dull:

Always fun to do some 1/1 model building :hmmm:

Indeed some great painting and weathering on your hulls :clap2:

And they start to look like tanks now - I am sure you are relieved that all the wheels are now in place.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 22/05/2017 at 3:47 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Stix,

I love the dirty weathering you have achieved on the lower hulls of these tanks. Really good without going too far.

This is making me want to do a mud crawler.......distracting me from the wingy things!!

Cheers

Greg :yes::yes:

Thank you very much Greg - at this stage I'm never too sure how much weathering to add - the final result will probably depend on the scene I want to create.

On 22/05/2017 at 4:42 PM, modelling minion said:

Great job on weathering the hulls Stix, as usual!

It looks very realistic without being overdone.

Thank you Craig, most kind. :thumbsup:

On 23/05/2017 at 1:13 AM, Hewy said:

Agree there,the hulls  look spot on very nice stix

Glynn

Thank you very much too Glynn.

On 23/05/2017 at 6:18 AM, Basilisk said:

Always fun to do some 1/1 model building :hmmm:

Indeed some great painting and weathering on your hulls :clap2:

And they start to look like tanks now - I am sure you are relieved that all the wheels are now in place.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter and thank you very much. I'm glad they are on but there's still the other two tanks to do!!!

On 24/05/2017 at 8:01 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Coming along very nicely Stix :coolio:

Thank you very much Nigel.

On 24/05/2017 at 10:27 AM, Biggles87 said:

I don't know much about tanks but they look good to me. I particularly like the weathering around the wheels.

John

Thank you very much John. 

Well, as I had got the wheels on the KV-1 I decided I should press on with this one and get the tracks weathered and then fitted. 

Various washes applied to all the L&L track parts:

34921641995_144179fe08_c.jpg

34534372920_573d9636af_c.jpg

First side fitted:

34881101716_79e04beaaa_c.jpg

And then the other side:

34535903920_123d3a554c_c.jpg

They actually fitted really well. I had one set on a Tamiya tank recently where one side fitted well and the other was awful.

A few more photos:

34759289312_884c3d707e_c.jpg

34759288482_164f6fb7f9_c.jpg

34759288012_8165887610_c.jpg

34535901110_a8f3c11fb0_c.jpg

I do like the way Tamiya recreate the sag on the top runs.

I did start work on the wheels for the other two but didn't take any photos. More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

Oh i do like how those tracks look, most exellent stix  

16 hours ago, Basilisk said:

The tracks look great Stix.

Cheers, Peter

Thank you very much Glynn and Peter.

Not much to report today - most of the time was spent filing down the mold seams that run around all 40 tyres on the wheels for the SU122 and T-34. After that I got the edges re-painted and then the wheels fitted on the hull for the SU122. I also added a touch more weathering:

34135795083_32826cd584_c.jpg

34135794513_8cd7f277d9_c.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

13 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you very much Glynn and Peter.

Not much to report today - most of the time was spent filing down the mold seams that run around all 40 tyres on the wheels for the SU122 and T-34. After that I got the edges re-painted and then the wheels fitted on the hull for the SU122. I also added a touch more weathering:

34135795083_32826cd584_c.jpg

34135794513_8cd7f277d9_c.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

The joys of armour modelling eh? Lots of seam clean up on all the wheels. Although tedious it is very worthwhile as you have demonstrated. The model looks all the better for the hard work. Stead as she goes!

Cheers

Greg

• Like 2

Hi

Really enjoying these builds so far. Particularly like the restrained weathering on the hulls.

Hoping to join this group build with the very same KV1 kit you are building (as soon as I finish another build). Was wondering if I could ask a couple of questions? Firstly were you able to paint directly onto the metal hull or did you need to undercoat first? Also I wondering if you could describe your washing technique. You always get great results when combined with drybrushing. 

Many thanks

Andy

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thos tyres now look like they've done 5,000 miles, nice bit of work there stix ,i can imagine very time consuming but well worth it

Glynn

Thank you Glynn. Yeah - I think if I was only making the one it wouldn't have been as dull!

10 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Stix,

The joys of armour modelling eh? Lots of seam clean up on all the wheels. Although tedious it is very worthwhile as you have demonstrated. The model looks all the better for the hard work. Stead as she goes!

Cheers

Greg

Thank you very much Greg.

9 hours ago, coolhand said:

Hi

Really enjoying these builds so far. Particularly like the restrained weathering on the hulls.

Hoping to join this group build with the very same KV1 kit you are building (as soon as I finish another build). Was wondering if I could ask a couple of questions? Firstly were you able to paint directly onto the metal hull or did you need to undercoat first? Also I wondering if you could describe your washing technique. You always get great results when combined with drybrushing. 

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy and thank you very much for your very kind comments. I will watch out for your build.

With regards your questions - the hull, I think, has been given a coat of primer by Tamiya. I say that because a while back I made the mistake of gluing something onto the metal hull of another Tamiya 1/48 kit but in the wrong place. After removing the errant part I started to sand the area down to discover shiny metal underneath. It took some work with the paint to cover that area. Will you be air-brushing or using hairy sticks? I paint with the latter and find the Humbrol or Revell paints I use go on well onto these metal hulls when thinned a bit with water. If you are airbrushing then I suggest you do a few tests on the inside of the hull.

When I paint the main colours I always apply several thinned (with water) coats of the paint using Humbrol flat brushes. Once dry I usually give everything a wash of very thinned Revell Gunship Grey. This tones everything down but also creates simple dust effects in certain areas. It also highlights in and around some detail. Next I use a fine pointed brush to apply what I call a targeted wash. This consists of very thinned Revell Anthracite which I carefully apply in and around all detail - so into corners and panel lines and suchlike. This creates artificial shadow like areas. Then I do the dry-brushing using a lightened version of the base colour - I add white and occasionally other colours to change the tone slightly. On these tanks I have added a touch of yellow along with the white. It's at this point I often add some of the rust and oil effects.

Hope that's of some use. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

Today I got the remaining wheels attached and then fitted the tracks on both the SU122 and T-34 hulls:

34969742825_5abd6e656c_c.jpg

All three tanks together:

34127005344_a18bd1b316_c.jpg

34127004644_6ebbc3ed1c_c.jpg

Next Weekend I hope to start on the upper hulls.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Thank you Stix for explaining your steps how you do your weathering - looks like a recipe for success. :thumbsup:

Now with all the hulls done, I am sure you look forward to do the fun bits next!

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1