Tempest Mk.5 - Heller

• 2 years later...
On 15/04/2017 at 11:14, CT Modeller said:

Hawker Tempest Mk.5

56 Squadron, Fassberg, Germany, 1945

Heller kit with raised panel lines removed and replaced with scribed detail. Canopy replaced with a Squadron vac form. Painted with Xtracrylix and finished with Xtradecals.

Models%20April%202017%20040.jpg

I think Heller got the shape of the Tempest 5 just right. This one has been in the stash for more decades than I care to remember – built at last.

Models%20April%202017%20041.jpg

Models%20April%202017%20042.jpg

Models%20April%202017%20044.jpg

Models%20April%202017%20046.jpg

Chris

Tempest is great, but Heller has a few mistakes. Shaft wheels are too tight, the cockpit hull is too narrow, the propeller is too narrow, the wings are too thin to see. I solved the problem by assembling the Heller and Academy models together. I used Academy to cut off the front of the hull and glued the Heller's propeller motor and nose. I also used a metal cooler from the set. The cabin is a collection of the best parts of both models. The cockpit cover is vac form just like yours. I spent a whole weekend of work together. Because I really like Tempest, I set out to make another one by installing resin parts in the cabin. For the control surfaces, I cut off Heller parts from another Tempest. I really like your Tempest! Greetings, Ales

On 4/16/2017 at 2:56 PM, Nachtwulf said:

Martin:

The Tempest saw increased performance from a substantially thinner and all together new wing than the Typhoon. Also the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces were increased in area. ( Some late Typhoons can be found with the "Tempest" horizontal Stabs )

Also of note, the fuselage was extended something like 22 inches in between the cockpit and engine cowl. These and other more subtle changes ( like spring tab ailerons ) resulted in a faster and much more maneuverable aircraft. Fast enough to be used for chasing down doodlebugs.

Disclaimer: This was all regurgitated from memory so if there are any errors please feel free to correct me. :door:

Chris:  Very smart looking build! I love the Tempest and I agree the Heller kit is a keeper! Nice work!

One seems to recall that one of the German aces mentioned that he felt the Tempest to be the Messerschmitt 262's most dangerous opponent?

A very nice model indeed Sir,well done.

Edited by DaveWilko
  • Like 1

That is a beautiful rendition of an old kit! I'm currently plugging through Eduard's superb new tool MkV, and I'll be proud if mine turns out half as well as yours - congratulations! :clap2: