Tempest Mk.5 - Heller

Hawker Tempest Mk.5

56 Squadron, Fassberg, Germany, 1945

Heller kit with raised panel lines removed and replaced with scribed detail. Canopy replaced with a Squadron vac form. Painted with Xtracrylix and finished with Xtradecals.

Models%20April%202017%20040.jpg

I think Heller got the shape of the Tempest 5 just right. This one has been in the stash for more decades than I care to remember – built at last.

Models%20April%202017%20041.jpg

Models%20April%202017%20042.jpg

Models%20April%202017%20044.jpg

Models%20April%202017%20046.jpg

Chris

• Like 66

A plain beautiful Tempest.

The best Heller Tempest I have seen to date.

Nothing more to add, except Congrats!

JR

1 minute ago, Martin Ford said:

A great looking build. Powerful looking beast. 

The Typhoon has always been a favourite looking plane of mine. Can anyone tell me in layman's terms the difference between that and the Tempest?

Think of it that the Typhoon had wings (and rudder) that made lot of drag from the older Hawker Hurricane that it was designed to replace.

The Tempest had new thinner laminar flow wings...

/André

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

Think of it that the Typhoon had wings (and rudder) that made lot of drag from the older Hawker Hurricane that it was designed to replace.

The Tempest had new thinner laminar flow wings...

/André

Thank you Andre. 

Oh yes! that captures the look of the Tempest to perfection. Lovely paint job too, just how I like to see it done in this scale.

Plus you give us all encouragement if you can still get decades old kits out of the stash and build them. Some of mine have pre-decimal price stickers on the boxes!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Martin Ford said:

A great looking build. Powerful looking beast. 

The Typhoon has always been a favourite looking plane of mine. Can anyone tell me in layman's terms the difference between that and the Tempest?

Martin:

The Tempest saw increased performance from a substantially thinner and all together new wing than the Typhoon. Also the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces were increased in area. ( Some late Typhoons can be found with the "Tempest" horizontal Stabs )

Also of note, the fuselage was extended something like 22 inches in between the cockpit and engine cowl. These and other more subtle changes ( like spring tab ailerons ) resulted in a faster and much more maneuverable aircraft. Fast enough to be used for chasing down doodlebugs.

Disclaimer: This was all regurgitated from memory so if there are any errors please feel free to correct me. :door:

Chris:  Very smart looking build! I love the Tempest and I agree the Heller kit is a keeper! Nice work!

2 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

Martin:

The Tempest saw increased performance from a substantially thinner and all together new wing than the Typhoon. Also the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces were increased in area. ( Some late Typhoons can be found with the "Tempest" horizontal Stabs )

Also of note, the fuselage was extended something like 22 inches in between the cockpit and engine cowl. These and other more subtle changes ( like spring tab ailerons ) resulted in a faster and much more maneuverable aircraft. Fast enough to be used for chasing down doodlebugs.

Disclaimer: This was all regurgitated from memory so if there are any errors please feel free to correct me. :door:

Chris:  Very smart looking build! I love the Tempest and I agree the Heller kit is a keeper! Nice work!

Thank you so much. You learn something every day. It's one of those things I've always wondered about but for some reason have never learnt. Your answer is much appreciated, thanks. 

I love the looks of both of them and am not sure if beautiful is a way to describe them but they are to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

Martin:

the fuselage extension was for fuel tankage, as the new thinner wing could hold less fuel....

The new wing you will note is an elliptical planform, like the Spitfire.   Worth remembering the Typhoon was on the drawing board in 1937, before the Hurricane had entered service!

Information on aerodynamics was still basic, as were wind tunnels.  IIRC the RAE said that they though a wing of 20% chord to width would be acceptable, and would not reduce drag to make it thinner, the Hurricane wing, and I presume the Typhoon, are 19% chord/width.

Mitchell, the Spitfier designer, didn't believe this, and made the Spitfire wing as thin as he could, 12% C/W IIRC. Turned out he was right...  the thinner wing was better

So the Tempest was a revised Typhoon with a new thin wing... it was going to be the Typhoon II but the amoun of changes got a new name.

The wing was good enough to be used on the Sea Fury, minus the centre section, and with a new lighter fuselage.

Great work Chris, will this be coming along to an IPMS meeting sometime? 

Cheers

T

• Like 1

Just now, Troy Smith said:

the fuselage extension was for fuel tankage, as the new thinner wing could hold less fuel....

The new wing you will note is an elliptical planform, like the Spitfire.   Worth remembering the Typhoon was on the drawing board in 1937, before the Hurricane had entered service!

Information on aerodynamics was still basic, as were wind tunnels.  IIRC the RAE said that they though a wing of 20% chord to width would be acceptable, and would not reduce drag to make it thinner, the Hurricane wing, and I presume the Typhoon, are 19% chord/width.

Mitchell, the Spitfier designer, didn't believe this, and made the Spitfire wing as thin as he could, 12% C/W IIRC. Turned out he was right...  the thinner wing was better

So the Tempest was a revised Typhoon with a new thin wing... it was going to be the Typhoon II but the amoun of changes got a new name.

The wing was good enough to be used on the Sea Fury, minus the centre section, and with a new lighter fuselage.

Great work Chris, will this be coming along to an IPMS meeting sometime? 

Cheers

T

Hello troy - yes I hope I will make the May or June meeting. I'll bring it along together with the TAP Super Connie and 748

Chris

I read somewhere that the engineers at Hawker saw no aerodynamic advantage to using an elliptical planform wing at all but where pressured to do so simply because the powers-that-be (those holding the purse strings) at the Air Ministry at the time were besotted with elliptical wings - IOW the Sales dept. at Hawker driving the Engineering dept. to do things that made no real sense (same as it still happens today, especially in Software Engineering! - Speaking from personal experience). I have "Typhoon and Tempest at War" (Beamont & Reed) on my bookshelf, I think that is where I read it - I'll check the reference some time.

EDIT:  Forgot to say - that is a stunning build, something to be very proud of. I built the original PCM kit (1/32) kit of the Tempest about 3 years ago, it came out pretty OK but that particular kit cured me of limited-run kits (for a while at least).

Edited by jannie

On 15/04/2017 at 7:30 PM, CT Modeller said:

Hello John - yes as far as I know Airfix re-issued the Heller kit

I thought this was the other way around.

But, confirmed by Scalemates.  Same kit also reissued by Smer, In-tech and Hasegawa.  I've built Airfix twice, Smer once, and have  Heller in my stash - it's a good one!

Edited by theplasticsurgeon