Binary Star

I have been looking at this recently, and if many skywatchers are right, we are in for an interesting year. Some of you may be aware of this already.

We have had the various stories of 'Planet X', but this seems to add some weight. It is believed in certain circles that our sun is part of a binary system, as are most suns observed. Essentially, a body, possibly a Brown Dwarf, with or without other bodies, has been observed, photographed and tracked for a few years now, and is approaching the Sun. From our point of view it is in the field of view from the Southern hemisphere, and is more or less now behind the Sun. It is allegedly already between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars. Sufficient plots have now been made that the track has been projected, and perihelion is expected around September/October this year, and the object, believed to be the size of Jupiter, will swing round the Sun and pass between the Sun and Earth during October.

Apart from the expected gravitational upsets for us, Muggins here will be in Chile for most of October, including a few days near the High Andes observatory.

What do you think? This certainly seems to be a serious event, and many people are posting on it. 

Where are you getting your evidence bentwaters? As an Astophysisicts I can tell you the fact the sun is binary is not a valid theory in astronomy (there is the nemesis extinction theory but I can debunk it) , what is a valid theory is that they have good evidence of a large 9th planet, is that perhaps what your getting confused with, though it is not as you describe going to be in the inner solar system, but way out there long past pluto hence why no one noticed it till now.  

Edited by PhantomBigStu

PBS, I am aware of the recent discovery in the outer reaches of a new planet, but this 'Large Ninth Planet' is the one that is causing the interest.

This is not my field at all, but there is quantities of material on our old friend youtube, where observers seem pretty convinced of the existence. 

I know youtube contains vast amounts of garbage, which is why I have posed the question?

It is garbage, like the 1000's of youtube videos that prove the flat earth theory or that chemtrails are real. There is a good video I saw that debunks it, I'd have to find it, but its not serious science. crackpot  BS peddled by the ignorati and unhinged. 

This ight be it, can't rember without watching 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

An object the size of a small star, if it was as close to us as the outer planets, would already have been visible to humans for thousands of years. Even a small star is a lot bigger and a lot more massive than a large planet. It is true that a brown dwarf would emit a lower amount of light and radiation than a fully functioning star but it would reflect light, just like a planet would - which would make it visible, possibly even to the naked eye. 

Planets out as far as Saturn have always been visible to the naked eye and have therefore been known to humans for thousands of years. Surely any largish object (planet or brown dwarf) would have been spotted by now purely because it should be visible.

Its gravitational effects would also be obvious if it was that big and that close. It is true that some of the orbital behaviour of Uranus and Neptune is not completely explainable but detailed searches of the sky in search of large objects have been carried out for over 100 years and nothing bigger than Pluto and other Kuiper Belt Objects have been spotted.

There have been recent announcements that there is some evidence that there might very well be a large object affecting the orbital paths of other planets, comets etc in the Solar System. But, if this object exists, it is VERY far from the sun - possibly up to 10 times further out than Neptune. People are looking at this data and if it does exist it will be found.

The one thing that is certain is that it is not heading our way.