A big "Hello!" from Suffolk, UK....

yarvelling

Hi folks!

I've been lurking here for several months now, and commented on a few posts already, but I realised I'd never formally introduced myself!  So here I am, with an introduction :)

I'm another 'older' (mid 50's) bloke, who has returned to model-making after many a year... I made a few back in the mid 1990's for a while, but then nothing more until last autumn!

I originally started making (ahem...ok ...butchering) model aircraft back as a young child in the late 1960's and early 70's... I loved those very basic 72nd scale Airfix, Revell, and Matchbox kits of the day - all raised panel lines and no cockpit details whatsoever!  And even with my crude Humbrol enamel splashings and daubs, I loved those old planes :)

Thankfully, none have survived...;)  Ha ha! :D

Having found this marvellous forum site, my pleasure in building models has increased no-end....the wealth of knowledge shared out here is incredible, and I've learned so much already.... a big "Thanks" to all those knowledgeable contributors :)

My main interests lie with WWII aircraft - both RAF and Luftwaffe, and I also quite enjoy finding and making lesser seen, earlier versions, or prototype variants of popular aircraft too.

I look forward to sharing some of my attempts here, and marvelling at so many of the wonderful examples by everyone here :)

Thanks for reading... :)

• Like 2

Hi Yarvelling, as Gorby said above, there's a lot of us in the same boat. This is a marvellous site and I like you have learnt a lot and been stunned by the standard of some of the models. All the best, Martin

Thanks for the welcome folks... :)  And yes Dr Evil, good old "Model Junction" is still here in Bury, and is my LMS.... nice people there, and a good range of kits and accessories :) 

Cheers!

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 4:10 AM, yarvelling said:

Hi folks!

I've been lurking here for several months now, and commented on a few posts already, but I realised I'd never formally introduced myself!  So here I am, with an introduction :)

I'm another 'older' (mid 50's) bloke, who has returned to model-making after many a year... I made a few back in the mid 1990's for a while, but then nothing more until last autumn!

I originally started making (ahem...ok ...butchering) model aircraft back as a young child in the late 1960's and early 70's... I loved those very basic 72nd scale Airfix, Revell, and Matchbox kits of the day - all raised panel lines and no cockpit details whatsoever!  And even with my crude Humbrol enamel splashings and daubs, I loved those old planes :)

Thankfully, none have survived...;)  Ha ha! :D

Having found this marvellous forum site, my pleasure in building models has increased no-end....the wealth of knowledge shared out here is incredible, and I've learned so much already.... a big "Thanks" to all those knowledgeable contributors :)

My main interests lie with WWII aircraft - both RAF and Luftwaffe, and I also quite enjoy finding and making lesser seen, earlier versions, or prototype variants of popular aircraft too.

I look forward to sharing some of my attempts here, and marvelling at so many of the wonderful examples by everyone here :)

Thanks for reading... :)

Mike, Colin..... thanks for your welcomes :)

Mike: No, I'm not sure about 'CF Rogers' in St Johns Street....was it a small shop, with an angled window, that also sold a lot of Corgi toys?  If it was that one, then I'm afraid it's long gone.... the last I saw, that place was turned into an arty/costume type shop... :/

What used to be Beatties, is now a Toymaster shop (on Cornhill) and only seems a small range now of Revell kits and paints, so Model Junction is still the premier shop in town for model makers - and probably caters for a large part of Suffolk/Norfolk too ;) 

Colin: I'm sure you have great memories about Newmarket and BSE then.... but I'm rather envious of you in NZ...... it looks so wonderful there :) 

Thanks again folks.....

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...