Kinetic 1/48 Su-33 Sea Flanker

Hello everyone.

This is my first build article here in Britmodeller, starting on my Su-33...

First up is my crude attempt at a cockpit, the colors are Testors RLM 78 and basic colors, I didn't realize how crappy the instruments looked while the Future is still wet. hopefully they will get better as it dries. I am replacing the K-36 seat with the long out of production KMC resin item as I didn't want to make belts like I did on my MiG-31. I added the red handles (park brake???) and the gear handle with wire. I still have to paint the seat and the back wall. Airscale instrument decals.

20170414-013212_orig.jpg

20170414-013158_orig.jpg

20170414-013114_orig.jpg

20170408-215021_orig.jpg

hopefully it starts to look better.

More to follow...

~A

Edited by galaxygirl
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, galaxygirl said:

First up is my crude attempt at a cockpit, the colors are Testors RLM 78 and basic colors, I didn't realize how crappy the instruments looked while the Future is still wet.

Crappy? I was thinking how good it looked! Every object seems to look worse when it's blown up to fill a screen - that's excellent painting.

• Like 3

0Very nice work on the cockpit!

Thanks for starting a WIP ;)

It is going to look more like you want it to when it drys for sure!! But the amazing detail incl. the airscale art can already be appreciated!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, galaxygirl said:

20170408-215021_orig.jpg

Hola, A! :bye:

Noooiiiceee work ya're doin' on yer monsterous Su-33 kit. Speak 'bout those tiny raised details on cockpits, there's a technique I borrowed from a serigraph. It consist in usin' tiny pieces of a soft eraser which are pre-cut 'n' painted over in order to stamp 'em colours on these details. Can't go wrong 'bout it. Real works awesome.

Mind ye, there's a bit of difference in height between 'em KMC seat 'n' the kit one; it'll be necessary to see whether it fits a closed canopy.

Gonna be watchin' this one (yeh, me will).

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hola, A! :bye:

Noooiiiceee work ya're doin' on yer monsterous Su-33 kit. Speak 'bout those tiny raised details on cockpits, there's a technique I borrowed from a serigraph. It consist in usin' tiny pieces of a soft eraser which are pre-cut 'n' painted over in order to stamp 'em colours on these details. Can't go wrong 'bout it. Real works awesome.

Mind ye, there's a bit of difference in height between 'em KMC seat 'n' the kit one; it'll be necessary to see whether it fits a closed canopy.

Gonna be watchin' this one (yeh, me will).

Cheers,

Unc2 

I actually sanded down the seat to be more in line with the kit height. I will conduct fit tests as the seat is one of the last items to go in for me...

here is my reasonable representation of the cockpit, I'm not completely happy with but I think it will do for now, I'll keep the seat loose and install it later...

20170414-221158_orig.jpg

20170414-221123_orig.jpg

• Like 12

The camera magnifies detail / errors in small scale that only a bird of prey could see with unaided eyesight! In 1/48 everything will look just fine I'm sure to human eyes. Excellent start on this impressive model and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards

Gary

• Like 2

On 4/14/2017 at 9:17 PM, galaxygirl said:

here is my reasonable representation of the cockpit, I'm not completely happy with but I think it will do for now, I'll keep the seat loose and install it later...

20170414-221158_orig.jpg

20170414-221123_orig.jpg

Very Nice Galaxy! Like many have said, macro shots will not do it justice. For a 1/4 scale cockpit is has been well painted and you did a fantastic job on the seat as well. I have wanted to pick up this kit in a while, and will be watching your progress.  Nice Work!

• Like 3

So a small update,

well the honeymoon is over and this kit is schooling me on the fact that we can't seem to get a good set of well fitting intake parts on a Su-27 kit, I haven't made Hobby Boss yet so there's still hope.

The intakes are a real pain in the satchel charge... The instructions ( A huge problem with this kit) would have you believe that installing F2 to the fuselage is the best way, It isn't. I assembled it to the top of the intake and then put it on the fuselage bottom otherwise you would never align it up. F15 and F14 shouldn't be glued together prior to installing the intake roof, actually it would benefit you to install it to F16 then install the intake as an assembly over the roof, after you put the PE on (which is very this and bends way too easily)

I swear I'm usually not this bad of a modeler.

I decided to build mine with the duct FOD screen "open" so I could see the duct and fan face, probably a bad idea.

Pics are out of order, sorry.

20170416-221223_orig.jpg

20170416-221203_orig.jpg

the intake duct, needs serious sanding scraping to fit properly.

I did fill and sand the holes BTW...

20170416-011211_orig.jpg

20170416-011203_orig.jpg

you can build how you like, but I would NOT follow the instructions sequence.

20170416-000606_orig.jpg

Edited by galaxygirl
spelling
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I got my Eduard PE set in to replace my mangled intake FOD screens, the kit parts are really thin and as you can see in my previous posts I messed them up. Eduard's set are fine mesh as well and see through.

20170527-232405_orig.jpg

replacment installed.

20170528-225128-1_orig.jpg

Much better, the small dents in the front and sides are ever so slight, the light makes them stand out more then they really do.

20170528-225214-1_orig.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

OK, so after a long break, I am going to make an update. I'm almost finishing another model for a full build review and hopefully I should get back to the old Su-33 again. since last post I have made some progress...

there was quite the gap in the canopy rails where the sidewalls meet.

20170723-234221_orig.jpg20170723-235347_orig.jpg

next it the intakes went on...

20170625-004223_orig.jpg

the fuselage required  LOT of clamping and tape and still needs a bit of work.

20170726-192007_1_orig.jpg

20170726-212234_orig.jpg

Hopefully I will get some more work done soon as I would like to have this one contest ready by March of 2018. hopefully it DOES NOT take that long!!!

thanks for looking!

• Like 1