The saint Tornado.

skiny

Would anyone be able to help with a colour scheme.In the middle of building an  italire 1/48 tornado and im confused over what colour 16 squadrons The Saint is.

Instuctons say black but photos im useing for some reference is green.Which is correct??????

38 minutes ago, shatters said:

According to the 1/72 Xtradecal  sheet  it was satin black.

Phil

Ian Black's book Tornado Pilot also refers to it being painted satin black: the book contains a picture of the aircraft carrying two inert 1,000lb bombs and a desert pink Sky Shadow pod.

My starboard side view is missing from its place in the album but this port side in the full glare of the early morning sun at RAF Leuchars in September 1991 shows that the original satin finish had started to lose its lustre , looks like the aircraft is in a three tank fit with a Desert Sand Sky Shadow ECM Pod , presume there was a BOZ Pod on the opposite outer pylon but cannot recall what colour.

SAINT_zps79rtnawg.jpg

On 14/04/2017 at 1:57 PM, Des said:

My starboard side view is missing from its place in the album but this port side in the full glare of the early morning sun at RAF Leuchars in September 1991 shows that the original satin finish had started to lose its lustre , looks like the aircraft is in a three tank fit with a Desert Sand Sky Shadow ECM Pod , presume there was a BOZ Pod on the opposite outer pylon but cannot recall what colour.

SAINT_zps79rtnawg.jpg

Deffinatly has a green tinge to it in the photo.thanks for the info,Looks like its going to be black.

• Like 1

Definitely black - a mate of mine was a nav on 16 at the time and flew in it at least twice (he may have been the usual backseater, but based upon beer call tales, am certain he had two trips in it. One day, if I recall, if beer isn't present, I shall have to find out if it was 'his' aeroplane

And although I don't think I've made the acquaintance of Taff Evans who posted in this thread on Fighter Control, his recollections and the accompanying photos sans green tinge may also help...

16 hours ago, skiny said:

Deffinatly has a green tinge to it in the photo.thanks for the info,Looks like its going to be black.

Photo was taken just after the gates opened at 0800 on what started as a clear September morning with a very low and bright sun directly  behind me hitting the aircraft side on plus the vagaries of film orocessing probably accounting for any odd taint seen and make it look perhaps a bit shinier than it really was.     By early afternoon the heavens had opened and on the only occasion that I am aware of at at Leuchars the flying display was abandoned.

Edited by Des
spelling

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recall it being a bit of a hanger queen - on XV we were quite happy it wasn't part of our fleet, we had enough unserviceable jets without adding that one to the list!