How do I weather wing fuel tanks for a F104?

Skyhunter66

I would use the salt technique. 

Paint the tank your favorite silver/aluminum shade. Mix a paste of salt (table + rock) with water, and apply it to the tank with a brush, cocktail stick, whatever seems to work. Move the paste around to mimic the "look". Remember that when done the aluminum will be exposed.  Let it dry to a white, crusty appearance. Don't touch it or it will flake off. 

Paint over it with your choice of green.   When the paint is dry, use an old toothbrush and water to lightly scrub off the salt. You should get something near to what you see in the photo. 

If not, or it's not quite right, remove the green paint, or repaint the aluminum, and start over. 

The hair spray method should achieve the same results, but I've never tried it. 

1 hour ago, Greenshirt said:

I would use the salt technique. 

Paint the tank your favorite silver/aluminum shade. Mix a paste of salt (table + rock) with water, and apply it to the tank with a brush, cocktail stick, whatever seems to work. Move the paste around to mimic the "look". Remember that when done the aluminum will be exposed.  Let it dry to a white, crusty appearance. Don't touch it or it will flake off. 

Paint over it with your choice of green.   When the paint is dry, use an old toothbrush and water to lightly scrub off the salt. You should get something near to what you see in the photo. 

If not, or it's not quite right, remove the green paint, or repaint the aluminum, and start over. 

The hair spray method should achieve the same results, but I've never tried it. 

Ok great - thanks for this great idea and I'm going to give it a bash now and see how i get on!

chris