Supermarine Spitfire XIV

Beard

Hi  Simon

I know macro  lenses are very unforgiving, but as you brush paint, you seem to get a lot of brush  strokes, do you thin your paint?

I assume branded thinners are better, but if you  use white spirit it's too  crude,  try using artists turpentine,  I've used it on large outside gloss paint jobs,  and for the amount you will use, worth the expense. (long story,  but I did a shop front, twice... the 2nd time I was thinning the paint to water consistency,  took 4 coats  but looked great, very smooth high gloss finish) 

For speed of evaporation of solvents,  zippo type lighter fuel is very good too, as it very volatile(low molecular weight) and  will make paint flow very well,   but will evaporate really fast.

Also good for  making washes.

Good ventilation is needed, but perhaps will be of use? 

Big paint alkyd paint jobs of the type described above has converted me to acrylics, as i really don't like dealing with the solvents,  I try use them for DIY jobs as well.

Funny thing is when I was in my first model phase I used enamels, and never noticed the smell.... my  first use of acrylics was using Tamiya acrylic paint on leather jackets, which worked so much better than enamels, which flaked off.

I digress....

Also ......

you  mentioned Harvey's Best earlier.... a little local secret...

harveys-brewery-lewes-01.jpg

...it's just river water with some  marmite and meths....  note  location  of brewery, pumped straight in  ;) 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

...it's just river water with some  marmite and meths....  note  location  of brewery, pumped straight in  ;) 

Just the way I like it. 😀

• Like 1

I've given it a rub-down with some 4000 grade Micromesh which, I think, has got rid of the worst of the brush marks.

She's also had another thin coat of Ocean Grey and Dark Green.

2017-04-26_03-30-50

Almost ready for a gloss coat.

My next model, after the Tamiya Mosquito I'm doing in the De Havilland Group Build, will be something much more straightforward (probably a KP Spitfire Vb).

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Nearly there Simon - it really is a rarity to see Sword XIV complete, well done.

Thanks Cookie. I think only me and you have done WiPs on them, your ones are much better than mine but I'm proud to be part of such a select club, perhaps we should get some badges made.

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Oooh Grandma, what a big nose you've got...

Looking smart Simon :) 

Thanks Ced, although I'm not sure 'smart' is the correct adjective.😀

• Like 1

Work on the Spitfire has slowed to a glacial pace, altbough I plan to do the transfers tomorrow, because these have arrived (the Spitfire will give you some idea of their size):

2017-05-04_08-26-19

(They're sitting on a cabinet that'll accommodate my various outboard gear).

The speakers and the cabinet arrived in two boxes like this:

2017-05-04_08-58-19

(Again, a Spitfire gives some idea of the size.)

It was pretty interesting getting the boxes into the loft, each speaker weighs 27lb, and I'm going to have to be very careful in getting the packaging out of the house without my wife noticing.

I now have virtually everything I need for my new studio (only need an electric piano, an outboard reverb, and some leads) so will be concentrating on setting it up over the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 4

Some of the transfers are on!

2017-05-09_05-04-12

I've got to wait for the paint on the starboard side to properly dry, for some reason I decided to drill a camera hole (which I don't think the XIV had but the 18 did) and had to do some remedial work.

• Like 3

I'm not sure you're right about the camera port, certainly Alfred Price in "The Spitfire Story", said that the FR.XIVe had an oblique fuselage camera that could be mounted to port or starboard.

John.

23 minutes ago, johnd said:

I'm not sure you're right about the camera port, certainly Alfred Price in "The Spitfire Story", said that the FR.XIVe had an oblique fuselage camera that could be mounted to port or starboard.

John.

I was hoping some-one wouldn't say that... 😩

Some research, which I should've done before, shows the FRXIV had openings for the oblique camera on either side of the fuselage.

Starboard side:

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/414sqdn-spit14.jpg

and:

https://www.airrecce.co.uk/graphics/AC/FRXIV.jpg

Port side:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/matzos/media/File0018.jpg.html

and:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/matzos/File0017.jpg

Who knows:

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/FRXIV-RAAF-451Sqn-NI/images/Spitfire-FRXIV-RAF-451Sqn-NI-A-TZ198-Germany-Jan-1946-01.jpg

Although I can't find a photograph of an aircraft from both sides, I've re-drilled the hole based on the reasonble assumption that there whould be a camera window on both sides

No doubt some-one will now say that there wasn't a window on both sides.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure there was a window on both sides. I'm not near my 2nd TAF book with the pics of 'Lazy Lady V', but I'll check it out tonight.

It's just about there Simon and looking great. I'll admit that this was the option I was going to do from this kit before I ended up using it for an FR.18. Glad I didn't, as now we've covered a bit more ground between the two of us!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'm pretty sure there was a window on both sides. I'm not near my 2nd TAF book with the pics of 'Lazy Lady V', but I'll check it out tonight.

It would make sense. I'm not entirely sure why I filled the hole. Actually, I am... Sword's painting guide only has one.

33 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's just about there Simon and looking great. I'll admit that this was the option I was going to do from this kit before I ended up using it for an FR.18. Glad I didn't, as now we've covered a bit more ground between the two of us!

Thanks, Cookie. I've got a couple more high-backs and at least one low-back in the stash. I'm not sure which I'll do next, do you want me to let you know before I start? 😄 Mind you, it'll be a while before I do one as I'm at the painting stage of a Hurricane, nearly finished assembling a P-40N and, just started a Mustang IV (all Mediterranean based).

13 minutes ago, johnd said:

Sorry...

Don't be.

• Like 3

The same decals are on a Aviaeology decal set, with very good info on the FR Spits used by Canadian units. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I checked that 2nd TAF reference and the only pic of 'Lazy Lady V' is of the left side, and it has the camera port.

Thanks Cookie. The only photograph I've found of her is from the port side... why did no-one think of doing a walk-around?

25 minutes ago, Paul J said:

The same decals are on a Aviaeology decal set, with very good info on the FR Spits used by Canadian units. Highly recommended.

Thanks Paul. I'll bear that in mind when I do another FRXIV.

Found myself a bit lacking in motivation lately due to a visit by the Black Dog (I'm not looking for sympathy, it's something that happens from time-to-time) so I haven't been putting much effort in to this one.

Anyway, here's where it is now:

20170512_180115

20170512_180107

I haven't done the walkways because:

1) they folded up on themselves while I was putting them on

2) I couldn't be bothered to dig any replacements out of the stash

3) I couldn't be bothered

The white stuff around the canopy is PVA glue. It will be removed.

Next, glue the wheels and tailwheel, remember where I've put the back bit of the canopy and attach it, attach the exhausts, a coat of gloss, a matt coat and weathering.

In the meantime, I'm going to sit in the sun and drink beer...

2017-05-12_06-09-39

Wish me luck.

Thanks for looking,

Beard

• Like 5

She's looking good Simon :)

I don't think you really need our help to sit in the sun drinking beer do you? If so then please let me know - I'll be happy to do some research...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johnd said:

For something you're not that bothered with, it's looking pretty decent.

Drinking beer in the sun is always a sound plan. Enjoy.

John.

Thank John. Drinking beer in the sun, or not in the sun, is (nearly) always a good plan.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

She's looking good Simon :)

I don't think you really need our help to sit in the sun drinking beer do you? If so then please let me know - I'll be happy to do some research...

Thanks for the offer, Ced, but I don't need any help but don't let me stop you doing your own, independent, research.

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

A lazy lady (v) calls for a lazy day.

Indeed it does, Cookie, indeed it does.

• Like 2