Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

Brian looks great and you three in the back are like the three Amigos. Brilliant! Excelent work on fitting the iP too.

makes me want to pop to the bench myself but I'm sooo tired after the weekend. :huh:  

ill just make do with catching up with you guys. :clap2:

johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Apologies all for the delay in replying - I've been cooking closing the company books for year end and running the (small) payroll so no time for pleasure, sadly.

On 24/04/2017 at 21:25, giemme said:

Wow Ced, lots of stuff to catch up with! Excellent work with Brian's figure, and given the sculpt quality, the three mini-you (meaning you guys that enjoyed that flight) are also OK.

Tricky fitting for the IP, but I'm sure you will prevail :) 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - very kind, as usual, but not my best work! 

On 24/04/2017 at 21:31, TheBaron said:

That was a joy to catch up on Ced; this thread has been a pleasure right from the start. A great aircraft, great modelling and great banter. The holy trinity, as far as I'm concerned.:D

Tony

Thanks Tony. My problems with i/ps and figures are nothing compared to your rodding (fnaar) so your kind support is much appreciated :) 

On 24/04/2017 at 21:39, keefr22 said:

OK, who's hidden the ''groan'' icon....?! :D

I think there's a remarkable likeness in all those figures Ced (well there will be when they're up on the ceiling...!! :winkgrin:)

Good work!

Keith

Thanks Keith - Is tole that from the BBC after the Obama visit to Her Maj. Worth repeating though? :D 

On 24/04/2017 at 21:40, brianj1uk said:

Wow! I can't believe you've made a p type compass, does it work as well?! Personally I hate the things so would be most happy for my 1/72 self if it didn't fit and had to leave it out. If you do manage to squeeze it in you might notice a frown appearing on the pilots face as he wonders which way he's heading🤔!

Thanks Brian :) The compass is part of the PE set but it's still a pig to fold the four parts into one. I'm not surprised they're not that accurate.

On 24/04/2017 at 22:29, Procopius said:

It's gonna be a busy 2019.

Not long now PC - it'll be a good year.

On 24/04/2017 at 22:29, The Spadgent said:

Brian looks great and you three in the back are like the three Amigos. Brilliant! Excelent work on fitting the iP too.

makes me want to pop to the bench myself but I'm sooo tired after the weekend. :huh:  

ill just make do with catching  hung up with you guys. :clap2:

johnny

Thanks Johnny, very kind. :) 

9 hours ago, Leonl said:

Nice work Ced...

It's funny that you say of your hampered mojo, I'm currently experiencing the same... Hopefully we'll all be back at it soon enough...

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It happens to us all, hopefully I'm now coming out the other side.

John

Thanks Leon and John :) Hopefully you'll both be back at the bench soon and my mojo will be back in the morning and I can get on with the close up.

I must admit there are a few mountains to climb yet, what with the stripe masking and the rigging.

I think I'll 'do a Joe' and paint the fuselage and wings before assembly to make it easier to do the stripes... does this sound too mad?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I think I'll 'do a Joe' and paint the fuselage and wings before assembly to make it easier to do the stripes... does this sound too mad?

I don't know who Joe is, but FWIW that's the way I'd plan to do it too Ced, think it would be a nightmare to try & mask the stripes when all the struttery is in place...

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Keith - sorry, Joe is our own Fatboydim and he usually finishes his models in bits and then assembles them like this. There's a more detailed explanation of his technique here.

I've done a bit more this morning. The pilot has been glued in:

33894884930_17341522ac_z.jpg

and the first row of passengers:

34239272456_f529086730_z.jpg

I've also started masking there canopy:

33437888034_d305a2fd19_z.jpg

That shot of the passengers is pretty poor eh? Tricky. What I need is a camera on a stick. With lights. Something like this. Of course I've ordered one, arriving (hopefully) tomorrow. Another mojo booster. I did watch some YouTube reviews, available in Italian (the best if you can follow it), Indian or Old Geezer. There's also one that shows the features well (especially at the end) but turn the volume off - the music is really irritating.

• Like 10

Thanks Simon (Spookytooth) :) Hopefully the real roof will fit!

Hi Giorgio - it's been a while since I bought a new toy tool, has to be done! :) 

Thanks Simon (Beard) - usefully it's waterproof too... the mind (and other parts) boggles! :) 

Thanks Cookie - weird that link; all the writing's back to front! :) 

I've completed the canopy masking:

33900683760_5ef2aba78d_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

A bit tricky as the frame looked nice and raised but it's not consistent, especially around the top edges. We shall see.

I started on the side windows and they've both popped at the back - I'm now suspicious of the UV glue so I think I need to test it on the new mule... they've now been glued with Gator's and clamped to dry overnight:

34127283662_fca6dab472_z.jpg

• Like 9

Ced: I refuse to think of your new camera as anything except a Cedoscope.:photo:

Gawd bless ya and lumme loiks but you do  blaze a trail for the rest of us when it comes to acquiring swag. I'm as interested as you to see the kind of shots it can produce - may it bring you joy!

Thy canopy masking looks le business by the way mon ami.

Bravo!

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks Tony :)

Kind of you to name the camera BUT you know that, as soon as you see the shots it provides inside the Rapide, you're going to have to have one for the Boxcar...

Excited as that little chap on the John Lewis ad for arrival of the thing tomorrow... we shall see!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Tony :)

Kind of you to name the camera BUT you know that, as soon as you see the shots it provides inside the Rapide,

Damn. Now I'm going to have to spend all day at work wondering about it! :lol:

(Remember to act cool when the postman arrives. All too often our guy Gerry is met by me doing an excited golden retriever impression...)

• Like 2

One of the benefits of Amazon is that they sneak the package into our 'safe space' and run off - if Molly's out then the first I know is when I get a message on my 'phone - assuming I haven't checked to see if it's arrived (every few minutes).

But it's here!

33915408030_f981440598_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Note the setup - 'snake necked' would, I thought, allow me to hold the model to the camera. The first photo shows one 'feature':

34142063422_e5e2e2464d_z.jpg

you have to rotate the camera / cable to get the right orientation. Of course I haven't waited for a full charge before trying it out and it's on 640 x 480 resolution but here are some initial shots, firstly in my usual light conditions:

34259195646_657974cf9b_z.jpg

and with the LED:

33489434273_25f44654e7_z.jpg

33457895484_6e4bf8bca0_z.jpg

Stopped laughing yet? Hmmm. I'll let the battery charge fully and change the resolution. Judgement reserved but axe at the ready :weep: 

• Like 11

Thanks Guys

I've changed the resolution to the maximum (1280 x 720) and tried again. Hmmm. It does seem to take a while to adjust its settings:

34262349946_c90c51dd70_z.jpg

Groovy man. But even at that resolution the pictures are 'neh' at best:

33460996384_ebff43424e_z.jpg

33460996534_5a754a6230_z.jpg

33460996574_3351a77dd7_z.jpg

33492390953_9b27acbca2_z.jpg

33918504790_ecd51a5dc9_z.jpg

34145149832_7b2a94c2fc_z.jpg

34145149872_760d206a07_z.jpg

34302663025_bd535a84e5_z.jpg

You can see from that last shot (and others, probably) that the range of focus is limited - close ups but not long shots.

The control for the LED seems to be faulty - it goes from dim to BRIGHT in a small movement - so I think Simon's right and I should return it.

You may have noticed that the pilot's arm has been fitted. The control column now doesn't reach the floor. Oh dear.

Goes in the 'won't be seen after close up' category. 

• Like 6

Whilst I'd expect a micro-lens like that if it's a fixed focus one to generally have a maximum focus point of about 2-3" from the subject Ced, there's quite a lot of colour noise in those images. Are you able to post what image quality settings are available to you, such as recording method, rendering, compression?

Tony

Thanks Tony, useful insight. Although there is a 'camera settings' window in the app that lets you set the usual brightness, contrast, hue, sharpness etc I don't have the expertise or patience to fiddle.

The LED adjustment and its blue colour also disappoint. 

It's being returned, that'll teach 'em (I can be quite a brat when disappointed!)

All that said, it does look like a good tool for sticking down drains, picking stuff up from behind cupboards etc if that's what floats your boat. 

• Like 1

Pity the snake cam didn't work out for you Ced but on a positive note it's pointed out the very obvious passenger at the rear. Is none other than Doctor number three himself. Mr Pertwee in full frilly outfit.:christmas:

love it. Gray masking too by the way.

top stuff indeed.

Johnny who?

• Like 5