Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

Thanks Jon, Keith, Phil and Stew - very kind and I'm glad it's (almost) over!

The next job is to try to create a transfer for the insignia under the pilot's window. Tiny.

It's a good job I'd bought the 'too big' letters sheets because I needed them for the underwing - duh.

The Xtradecals instructions say to NOT cut the carrier film from around the letters BUT you do need to make sure that there's enough cut away so that they don't nudge each other when you're trying to get them straight. My technique is to get them on roughly:

33751312924_4603bdf62c_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

then line them up as well as possible under the magnifier, then take off the magnifier and nudge any that seem out of place. For me, my brain 'clicks' when they're in what I think is the right position. All done now:

34595124875_3ed786b9a2_z.jpg

Off to the cinema tonight which allows me to avoid the rigging for a bit longer...

• Like 16

I'm hardly a paragon of modelling skill but one thing I would suggest is to do each letter individually; whenever I've tried to do them all at once I find that the previous one moves.

Having said that, it looks like you've succeeded where I've failed so who am I to make suggestions.

(This post has no purpose or meaning. Please don't bother reading it.)

Edited by Beard
  • Like 4

Ced,

That's really starting to come together now and well done on masking the pinstripes.

A little late for this build, but one way of lining up individual letters for your registration codes would be to use a piece of the masking tape that you have used for the stripes as a guide. You could also add marks to this to help keep the spacing even. HTH with future builds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beard said:

I'm hardly a paragon of modelling skill but one thing I would suggest is to do each letter individually; whenever I've tried to do them all at once I find that the previous one moves.

Having said that, it looks like you've succeeded where I've failed so who am I to make suggestions.

(This post has no purpose or meaning. Please don't bother reading it.)

Thanks Simon - read with interest! I think I know what you mean, but my eyes / brain won't let me line up one thing - I need to get them all together :) 

Thanks Giorgio, John (hope you get your emoticons back), Martin, Johnny and Zebra - I really appreciate your kind comments.

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Oh, bravo Ced! Wonderful results with: tiny precise masking, airbrushing Humbrol Gloss Blue (that counts as three things), and single letter/number decal placement. Phew!

Thanks Cookie - very kind of you, I'm glad it's over. Now it's just the rrrr... rrr... rigging.

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Ced,

That's really starting to come together now and well done on masking the pinstripes.

A little late for this build, but one way of lining up individual letters for your registration codes would be to use a piece of the masking tape that you have used for the stripes as a guide. You could also add marks to this to help keep the spacing even. HTH with future builds.

Thanks John. I had a deep(ish) thought about this before I started. Simon (Beard) had used tape before and it seemed like a good idea. Problem is the Xtradecals have a single carrier across all the letters of the same size so to use tape I'd have had to trim the film evenly off all the letters - tricky. The sharp eyed amongst you may have noticed one letter with a shaved bottom. Don't tell the others! I was also worried that tape might have lifted the blue and I certainly don't want to do that again!

I've just put some gloss varnish on the white bits (fnaar!)

Tomorrow I'll get the bottom wing on and probably the tailplanes and then it's, gulp, rigging!

• Like 4

Thanks Nigel :)

Bit of paint cleaned up and parts ready for assembly:

34446423472_45f54f7835_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

My plan is to use the 'medium' lycra for the 'thick' lines and the 'super fine' for the others:

33765269134_51494b091a_z.jpg

I need to glue the lower wing and possibly the tailplanes first. Nervous? Me? :shutup: 

• Like 11

Thanks Giorgio, Leon and Simon, very kind :)

I have planned the rigging and have been staring at the Rapide everytime I come into the room - I think it's now sufficiently intimidated for me to have a go in the morning.

• Like 4