Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Tip: don't clean your cutting mat with cellulose thinners - it cleans off the grid!

Ha - I could have told you that, if only you'd asked!! :whistle: :winkgrin:

Nice brushwork Ced, hurry up with those stickers Mr. Postman...!!

Finally remembered to have a look at mine earlier today re. that 'chrome paint' - mine's actually in an Airfix box...!!  :doh:(definitely no chrome paint anywhere though!)

Keith

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Looking good there Ced B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks matey! :) 

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking great now she's getting buttoned up. :thumbsup: I still think you're bonkers brushing away but your patience and tenacity is truly an inspiration. Bravo Ced.

Jont

Thanks Jont - bonkers I am, just scared of airbrushing Humbrol acrylic. i think I might try some with 'Cookie's magic thinner' on the mule to see how it goes; five coats is too much for me!

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Even with a large flat brush it's  still a pretty huge area to cover, probably equivalent to a 1/32 Spitfire.

Good luck with the transfers.

Cheers

John

True, so true - thanks John :) 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Ha - I could have told you that, if only you'd asked!! :whistle: :winkgrin:

Nice brushwork Ced, hurry up with those stickers Mr. Postman...!!

Finally remembered to have a look at mine earlier today re. that 'chrome paint' - mine's actually in an Airfix box...!!  :doh:(definitely no chrome paint anywhere though!)

Keith

Thanks Keith :) If you have the Airfix boxing, check the position of the aileron activators! Paul thinks they may be 'seconds'?

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

If you have the Airfix boxing, check the position of the aileron activators! Paul thinks they may be 'seconds'?

I did read that Ced, but tbh, when - if - I ever get round to it I'll probably be even less bothered about it than I am now - I really think I've been drinking too much Mr. Lazy Modeller juice, I would just like to finish something...!! :huh:

• Like 3

:rofl: "Mr. Lazy Modeller juice", one of my favourite drinks! Along with 'it'll look fine on the ceiling' Claret and 'no one will see it when it's closed up' ale. :D 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

:rofl: "Mr. Lazy Modeller juice", one of my favourite drinks! Along with 'it'll look fine on the ceiling' Claret and 'no one will see it when it's closed up' ale. :D 

With my dry election now three weeks in, any of these would be lovely!

• Like 2

Thanks Jon - I hope the 'dry period' isn't too painful. At least you'll be a 'cheap date' when you finish the challenge! :D

Thanks Tony - we'll have to wait a bit longer. I've had an email from Fantasy saying they'll be sending the transfers tomorrow. Bit weird but I guess they're a small outfit? Ho hum.

I did decide to paint the props. The Tamiya X-32 titanium Silver had settled a lot and had to be taught a lesson with the Badger stirrer. Of course it was then frothy and covered like a thin blanket on a winter's night. Darn it. When I came to paint the pressurisation prop, one of the blades had dropped off. With more luck than I've had recently I found it. It's on the bench in this shot with the frothy silver:

33746646443_8fb2b2f117_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

There - see it? It is tiny:

33714374904_d83a72383c_z.jpg

Painted now (with the main props) and CA'd to be sure.

Pause.

• Like 5

That's looking fantastic Ced, the five coats were worth it. Hurry up post man!

On 5/8/2017 at 4:16 PM, CedB said:

I might try some with 'Cookie's magic thinner' on the mule to see how it goes; five coats is too much for me!

I tried to airbrush Humbrol acrylic a while back and it did not go well, but you're made of sterner stuff Ced, so I'd like to see the experiment. I know that the mighty Procopius has successfully airbrushed the stuff.

• Like 1

I havn't tried airbrushing Humbrol acrylic yet but I'm planning to use it on my Spitfire so I'll be interested in the result also.

You really were lucky to find that prop blade it looks really tiny, I've lost much bigger bits than that.

John

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - my fault I guess for, as usual, not planning the build all the way through and making sure I have all the bits. Hopefully today will bring the Hannants sheet and tomorrow the Fantasy ones. Hopefully.

Thanks Cookie - they're so variable in my experience but the H15 seems to be pretty thin... Steve ( @ProfSparks ) has been doing a great job with the starter set pots and a basic airbrush setup so I'm hoping to do half as well as he has. Fingers crossed!

Thanks Tony, very appropriate! :D 

Thanks John - Fingers crossed for you too!

• Like 2

I have just been catching up on things on the forum, and reading your build has been fun Ced.

Brush painting is an art form in it`s self, and getting a great finish using gloss paint is always going to be hard Fnar Fnar.

Still waiting around for stuff to arrive can be frustrating.

Simon.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - well the good news is that the Xtradecals have arrived and they're exactly the right size!

34188602210_20dc0f6c4b_n.jpg 33764833093_346478ebc6_n.jpg

The bad news is I now have no excuse not to mask the stripes. Gaaah! Oh no, sorry, wrong model.

The good news is that the 0.7mm tape is also the right size so I cut the striped section from a print of the template, marked the gap required for the ident letters and pulled some tape over the back:

33732380254_c4d036c055_z.jpg

The Aizu tape is great but crikey it's narrow.

The bad news is, I don't know if you've noticed, that the rear stripes taper off towards the rear. I had a great idea for this; cut a piece of tape in half diagonally.

The good news is that, if I was very accurate with the cut, this would give me two pieces so I'd only have to do it once for each side.

The bad news if the tape's only 0.7mm wide (that's very narrow). On the glass block and cut:

34413369752_e2a7f6af77_z.jpg

The good news is that a new #6 blade cut through OK, although I had to push it along the tape to stop it riding up.

The bad news is that the end is so thin it snaps off really easily when you try to pull it taught. Twice.

The good news is that both rear sections are now masked:

34189325630_121f4d1548_z.jpg

The bad news is that I am now a nervous wreck.

I'll have a bit of a calm down and do the front sections later.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, CedB said:

The bad news is that I am now a nervous wreck.

I'll have a bit of a calm down and do the front sections later.

Maybe a glass of wine?

It`s a sod trying to split masking tape that fine I suppose.

Just cutting fine strips of plastic is bad enough.

Glad the decals arrived.

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

Just caught up after your response to my Freighter. Funnily enough I always fancied a Rapide as an air ambulance.

My freighter has a dark blue strip down the side which I used a Halfords can of Vauxhall Royal Blue or something similar for, it then has thin yellow piping lines along the edge. I'm thinking of spray paining decal strips like I've used on canopies before, might be worth considering for your thin stripes?

• Like 1

Thanks Simon. I'm out of red wine, sadly. Perhaps a walk up to the shop is in order, or some G&T.

Thanks BB. You could use the masking tape I suppose BUT I've already painted my white (your yellow) so, unless you want to use the tape for the stripe, I think your strip of decal is probably the way to go. You could try the Filmoplast repair tape that I've tried (once) for canopy framing - Mark put me onto it and he got on well here.

Thanks Jon and Giorgio - chill out required NOW (see below!)

Obviously, after all this time, I couldn't wait to get this done so I measured some more tape, cut four strips for the main stripes and then marked the bit on the nose where it needs to bend and thin to a point (damn it):

34447664221_5b9efdc754_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Then I free-handed the curve to a point:

33735176884_98a7a6b0c7_z.jpg

and stuck them on the sides. And pulled them off and put them on straight. Several times. Here's the best I could do:

34537051176_e200baa183_z.jpg

Then it was off to the spray booth with the H15. Thinned 50/50 with Cookie's thinners.

34537285076_5d0928fc40_z.jpg

0.2mm nozzle at 10psi didn't cover well:

33768518383_c626bff72e_n.jpg 34578752915_dc39e00edc_n.jpg

but my Gurus say "be patient and build up the layers" so I went at it again, this time at a slightly higher pressure:

34416984302_0079ff01db_z.jpg

34537617616_39596bf33b_z.jpg

Happy with that. i really need to let it really dry so I'll have some G&T and come back later to rip off the masking.

• Like 13

Thanks Gents - I won't keep you waiting any longer (I couldn't)...

Ready?

34450808081_6f98be0e90_z.jpg

33771394683_576113c59d_z.jpg

34419741112_65d27ae64b_z.jpg

Pretty chuffed with that. A few little spots will need attention:

34540097676_6c30ffd8ee_z.jpg

33738409044_37e5c6f6bc_z.jpg

i couldn't resist taking off the rest of the masking - should have trimmed around the canopy masks first:

34419669762_ebf7ffb55c_z.jpg

but happy, very happy.

Now I just have to make sure I don't mess up the transfer application and the rigging.

• Like 16