Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

34 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Bravo Ced, you cracked it sir.

A lie down with some liquid medication will soothe away the stress.

Simon.

I totally agree with Simon here, an all accounts :winkgrin::D

Once more, great job Ced :clap:

Ciao

• Like 2

Looks fine so far. But I opted to go the sane way and not do the double rigging on my build. I used the wider strecthy stuff from Aeroclub to vaguely depict the double lines and and invisible mending thread for the few single lines and fin to tailplane rigging.  Look forward how this ends up. 

• Like 1

Ced. You have, I believe, caused an enormous amount of satisfaction on the part of those of us watching the rigging phase. Kudos, plaudits and huzzahs!

Now pour yourself a stiff belter and bathe in the admiration.:goodjob:

Tony

• Like 2

Just caught up on your progress after a few days away. Looking good! Have some of the letter decals on order now and will be looking into getting some of the rigging stuff you recommend. Don't worry I won't try that manouver in the Rapide, but I often do in the T6. Have noticed that more often than not the boys scream (in delight I might add!) more like a girl than the girls do🙃. Keep up the good work, the finish is in sight.

• Like 1

Thanks gents, very kind of you :)

Paul you're very wise - the double rigging is hard to get right and very fiddly. Even worse, it doesn't show up that well at this scale.

Johnny I hope you get on with the rigging - choose something bigger!

Thanks Brian - I used the Hannants X48-045 8" transfers for the fuselage and the X72-129 20" for the underwing. If you haven't ordered these yet PM me your address and I'll pop some in the post.

I did do a bit more before celebrating with some Spanish red.

Top wing attached:

34538111532_a11fe79baa_z.jpg

and then glued to the bottom half of the top wing. The rigging and CA blobs seem to stop the (very thin) wing joining easily and many pegs were required:

33858398184_3d90bedf39_z.jpg

Then I couldn't resist tidying up the bench and fitting the nacelles:

34317667780_c6bbe3d7a1_z.jpg

She's on her feet now:

33859642324_c82686996b_z.jpg

ready for the tailplanes. I do need to sort out the top wing join though:

33859651294_ff57b3024b_z.jpg

That'll need some blending. I foresee some more blue painting in my future.

Rats.

• Like 12

Thanks Stew, Jon, John and Giorgio, you're all far too kind :blush:

Blending. Ugh. I'm just about used to the need to take a perfectly 'almost finished' model and mess it up. Has to be done sometimes :weep:

So this morning I prepared the victim by sanding the offending areas and cleaning up with IPA on a cotton bud:

34549454392_39726bd474_z.jpg

I then got out the standard Milliput and, as usual, measured a small amount, mixed it up and found I had far more than I needed. Ho hum. First application:

34711660345_6ef5e8d325_z.jpg

Then, with various tools, fingers and water, reduced the amount and then smoothed as best I could:

33902194033_718d7b1993_z.jpg

I'll let that dry and then sand to blend. Best leave it until at least this evening I guess, or maybe tomorrow. I'll do a bit on Jason in the meantime.

• Like 13

Good to see how this is progressing Ced - it's come on in leaps and bounds! Good luck with the blending - not my favorite process either.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Wonderful Ced, she looks great together, a real pain about the wing fit but it'll look great when done properly.:clap2: oh and as for the rigging my side. I don't think it gets much bigger! Even on a tiny scale.:o

Johnny

• Like 1

That's an annoying seam to have to deal with on the home run. Thanks for the decal offer. I ordered some as soon as you mentioned where you got them and big H delivered them just this morning, running out of excuses to make a start on one myself now. Where did you get the rigging thread from, and does it come in different colors. They change color depending on the light (and if the oils been rubbed off!), but a light grayish colour I think would be closest in scale.

• Like 1

Thanks Stix - glad to know I'm not the only one who hates blending!

Thanks Johnny - the wing fit is probably my fault for not really really dry fitting before painting. Ho hum, it's done now.

Thanks Cookie, very kind of you to say so.

Thanks Brian - glad the decals arrived; now you'll have to get on with it! The rigging line is from Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies and there's lots of sizes and black or white. I used the 110 denier white for the 'normal' and 40 super-fine for the thin lines but, to be honest, I wouldn't bother with the fine stuff. YMMV!

Blended this morning:

33922707963_e123fa0df1_z.jpg

and then wrapped in masking sheet:

34347557270_4e503e0839_z.jpg

Weird stuff this sheet. I bought it ages ago and, to be honest, I'm just using it up here. Still not sure how to get it off the roll - the sheet is kind of folded up on itself under the tape.

Out with the new H&S Ultra and on with the Stynylrez:

34692118306_5748c2de3e_z.jpg

Nice brush, easy to clean. I like it. Thanks Paul @little-cars for all your help :)

• Like 8

Everything looked fine until I bought it back to the bench in natural light:

34570736832_e82f91f135_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Grunt. Now I could hide that by taking photos 'in the right light, from the right angle' but no, this is a special. I remembered Perdu telling us to wet sand so I did that:

34601637141_0940c1b5f4_z.jpg

breaking the tailwheel off in the process. :rage:

Now given another coat of primer. I probably won't bring it into the light again (unless it's much better!)

Any feathering / blending tips greatly appreciated.

• Like 8

Ced, the only tip I can add is that, to effectively remove the biggest part of the step, I tape (with double sided tape) a coarse piece of sanding paper to a wooden block (different block sizes for different areas to work on).

I found this helps in: 

- keeping the mating surfaces flat

- allowing you to "tune" the effort you are putting into sanding, hence the amount of material you are removing at each pass

I then finish off with a nail polishing stick, the kind that comes with three different grades on the same stick

HTH

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Now I could hide that by taking photos 'in the right light, from the right angle' [...]

That's the kind of trick I would pull... but you wouldn't sink so low.

You'll get rid of that step, the advice in Gimme's and bbudde's is sound.

• Like 2

Thanks Benedikt - I thought that using the Milliput and smoothing it would reduce the sanding but I still left too much on the model; lesson learnt (until I forget).

Thanks Giorgio - great tips. I'm still trying to use my Micro-mesh finger sander and I think I need to go for something wider and longer.

Thanks Simon - me sink low? As if...

Thanks Nigel :)

Back to the booth, H15 50/50 with Cookie's thinner, still using the Ultra with a 0.4 at 20psi:

34575145512_dde6ca4d90_z.jpg

Nice wet coat. I hope it dries.

I have no idea what that white bit is near the nose:

34575151412_8cb3bca3fd_z.jpg

I won't know until the masking comes off. I also don't know if the paint is wet or just very glossy (which is good). I must resist the temptation to touch it to see if it's dry.

if you laughed at that, you're wicked too!

• Like 8