Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

On 14/04/2017 at 08:28, The Spadgent said:

Lovely story and subject Ced. That IP looks great too. If you get stuck with decal woes you could paint the stripe section first then cut a couple of slivers of Tamiya tape as masks, you could even draw and cut the tapered end this way, then spray the main colour. Easy:huh: probably. I think someone said this on your mossie thread too. :lol: which ever way happens I'll get some :popcorn: and watch with wonder.

Great stuff. Have a nice time at the wedding.

johnny

On 14/04/2017 at 09:00, keefr22 said:

That would be me. I always come up with these great ideas. For other people to try out....!!:D

Keith

Thanks Johnny and Keith - long way to go before the masking, especially in my current state; the wedding was great but drinking from 12:00 until late at my age is not to be recommended (again)! Bit fragile today.

On 14/04/2017 at 14:25, HP42 said:

Just reminded me of my version of HG691 I did many years back. The thread is still on here. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41118-172-dehavilland-dragon-rapideor-is-it-a-dominie/#comment-434907

Nice one Phil - very smart.

Anyone else have trouble with the 'Like' button? Recently I click and it goes dim but nothing happens... perhaps until later? Ho hum.

23 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice to see this one under way Ced, I've long been a fan of the Dragon Rapide (even the name is brilliant!)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew - I hope I can do it justice. I keep looking at the double line rigging and thinking 'Hmmm, that's going be fun!'.

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's true Stew, the name itself is a stand out. Looking forward to this one Ced!

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

:D Absolutely. The Dragon Rapide sounds like the perfect name for an interwar cocktail. I must consult the drinks cabinet in the name of science - I shall keep careful notes in case anything happens to me, so that others may follow my work....

Thanks Cookie and Tony - why the 'e' on the end I wonder? Perhaps it wasn't Rapid enough? Or is there some French influence, like Concorde?

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

Good start Ced, that IP looks the business. The Rapide is such a pretty aircraft, nice choice.

Thanks Nigel, nice to see you :)

Little progress between groans - IG on the cockpit and seat frames painted coal black:

34051286915_74c6f8f9d3_z.jpg

33921972271_00bac52ca1_z.jpg

Groan. Feeling fragile. Silly man.

• Like 14

Thanks Giorgio - wise advice :) 

Thanks John - she is a beauty :) 

Seat have been painted - H15 Midnight Blue which I hope will be OK for the main colour and Citadel Abeddon black for the leather:

34072219145_6c59a97738_z.jpg

PE has been applied to the cockpit - I can't find a pilot to fit so the belts have been used for a change:

33688100940_e3de710dc9_z.jpg

Gator's Grip Thin still drying.

At the wedding we were all given a bag of chocolate eggs (yum) - BUT look at the bag; perfect scale mesh?

33228246684_dee61df391_n.jpg 33913927482_9f71699b53_n.jpg

In the spares box.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, CedB said:

At the wedding we were all given a bag of chocolate eggs (yum) - BUT look at the bag; perfect scale mesh?

33228246684_dee61df391_n.jpg 33913927482_9f71699b53_n.jpg

In the spares box.

I bet you'll have hours of fun trying to find a glue that will stick it to anything though....!! :D (although given the amount of glues you probably have Ced, it will be a matter of minutes!)

K

• Like 4

Thanks Giorgio and Leon :) 

Thanks Keith - have you tried it? I've not seen it before and hadn't thought about sticking... we'll see when / if I find a need! :) 

I think this is ready for close up:

33950985361_647ff07f2f_z.jpg

after fiddling with the bits for a while - is the floor supposed to be this bendy?

33950966411_6f468e689c_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Keith - have you tried it? I've not seen it before and hadn't thought about sticking... we'll see when / if I find a need! :) 

I don't know if I've ever had that particular mesh Ced, but I used to collect all sorts of plastic mesh when I was into building car models and still remember the trials & tribulations of getting some types to stick! Others meanwhile stuck perfectly with CA or even liquid poly. All depends on what type of plastic it is...

That interior looks rather lovely! Is there going to be little Ceds & PCs sat in the cabin & a driver up front? Or will this one be sat on the ground?

K

• Like 1

It's coming along nicely Ced - I'm not sure if the floor should be that bendy, if it bothers you overmuch you might glue a section of straight sprue or plastic rod running along the central axis to force it straighter - on the other hand it might be a lot less noticeable once the fuselage is closed up.

Regarding the mesh, I think something that isn't solvent-based like Gator's Grip would probably be able to stick it in place, though I'm not sure how soon you will get to try it out so we might all have forgotten my sage advice by then :clif:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Thanks Keith - the original plan was to 'populate' the cabin but a ) I got bored looking for suitable figures (although there are a lot of options like these) and b ) NONE of my pilots fit the seat (and, as you know, I have quite a selection thanks to kind donations) so I think it might be tight (like the real one) and might have to be empty. Although... a small one would fit if I removed the control column temporarily... I might dither some more.

Thanks Stew - great tips, thanks. I'm not that bothered about the bendy floor but, if I am going to populate it, I might change my mind. :unsure:

Thanks Martin - glad you like it :) 

Figures or no figures... I need to put the windows in before I close up so I might see what they're like... decisions, decisions.

• Like 3

I'm definitely an advocate of the 'put a Ced and PC in there' school of thought on this

one. There must be some 1/72 civilian figures available you could adapt - is there a Preiser 'Rakishly Handsome Males' set?

Tony

• Like 4

As Tony said Ced (sorry unintentional rhyme!) you need civvies for this, even the pilot iirc from the vid (I don't think he had Mae West, helmet, goggles & oxygen mask on - surely frighten the talking baggage that, what...?! :winkgrin:) and as it's tight in there, maybe HO (1/87) scale sitting railway passengers would fit the bill?

K

• Like 5

23 hours ago, CedB said:

BUT look at the bag; perfect scale mesh?

In the spares box.

Ced, you're a hero to millions.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Keith - the original plan was to 'populate' the cabin but a ) I got bored looking for suitable figures (although there are a lot of options like these)

None of them look handsome enough to stand in for the three of us in any case.

It's coming along really well, Buffers. Great job on the cockpit.

• Like 3

Interested to see how this goes, looking good so far. Curious as to how you intend to tackle the markings and secondly paint the pilot - that's me in the video! I'd never get in wearing a Mae West, and I normally use a set of David Clarks rather than a helmet with goggles.

I have a couple of these in my stash and, time permitting would also like to make G-AIYR and also G-AIDL. Any questions about paint colors, details etc, feel free to ask and I'll help if I can!

Hope to make my reaquaintance with IF in the next couple of weeks. The real floor is plywood and is in places a little bendy!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, brianj1uk said:

Interested to see how this goes, looking good so far. Curious as to how you intend to tackle the markings and secondly paint the pilot - that's me in the video! I'd never get in wearing a Mae West, and I normally use a set of David Clarks rather than a helmet with goggles.

I have a couple of these in my stash and, time permitting would also like to make G-AIYR and also G-AIDL. Any questions about paint colors, details etc, feel free to ask and I'll help if I can!

Hope to make my reaquaintance with IF in the next couple of weeks. The real floor is plywood and is in places a little bendy!

You Sir have just made me rather jealous...!! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forums!

Keith

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There must be some 1/72 civilian figures available you could adapt - is there a Preiser 'Rakishly Handsome Males' set?

Thanks Tony - you are very kind. I couldn't find such a set, which is odd because they do almost every other set, including couples 'up to no good' in various locations. Crikey.

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

... maybe HO (1/87) scale sitting railway passengers would fit the bill?

Thanks Keith. I have waded through the 'net again tonight and ordered these, arriving Wednesday. As I'm out shopping with Mrs B tomorrow that'll probably be just in time.

Thanks Phil - let's see what the figures are like - I can always get hold of some of these.

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That floor looks like one of my favourite pubs in Halesowen.

Thanks Johnny - is that the 'Crooked House'? Weird place but great fun watching marbles 'roll uphill' - just don't drink until it looks straight!

Thanks PC! I guess I should let you and Jon ( @06/24 ) choose your own figures... let's see what they're like!

Hi Nigel - I think the back bit's bent. I'll see if I can straighten it tomorrow (especially now you're watching!!)

3 hours ago, brianj1uk said:

Curious as to how you intend to tackle the markings and secondly paint the pilot - that's me in the video!

Brian how great to see you here! Thanks for the offer of help (which you may regret!) and, of course, for the smooth flight. I do have a couple of photos too, now posted to my Flickr account, if you want to grab them (although I expect you have lots already):

33974885551_3826d07d48.jpg 33293764873_7eee8713f3.jpg

Please feel free to chip in with any comments!

Thanks Keith - I'm envious too... flying a Rapide must be great!

Not much done today as we went out for lunch - met the girls half way at a really nice pub in Bishopstone:

33719893050_a4099d8b61_c.jpg

Great food and beer and great staff - recommended!

The Rapide didn't get much attention although I did find that the side windows are numbered incorrectly on the instructions. They're a bit too curved to glue with my usual Gator's Grip and it's hard to clamp them, so I'm going to use the BluFix:

33277723863_ee540ffb4d_z.jpg

Once I'm back from shopping.

• Like 11

Recently had the good fortune to visit the Paris Air Museum and took a bunch of shots for my planned Rapide build so took some "modellers" shots like:

IMG_3326_zps3qn5ikki.jpg

(Notice no hatch so they all didn't have them)

IMG_3457_zps6obgqrpf.jpg

and...

IMG_3455_zpsuvpxl1av.jpg

If you are having a hard time finding a reference shot drop me a line and I will see if I happened to take it in Paris.

Greg in Oklahoma

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 5

You really live the high life Ced, going to the pub for lunch and shopping! What more could a boy ask for?

The Rapide's looking good so far, can't wait to see little Ced, PC and 06/24.

John

PS Great pictures from Greg

• Like 2

Coming along Ced.

I do think the floor has a bit too much curve to it and that the seats should probably sit even with the windows (as in, all at the same height).

Found these online if they are any help:

05.jpg

18006845c9eb2ccb7caa4fe769431c20.jpg

rapideint.jpg

• Like 5