MiG-21bis Fishbed

Hey everyone, 

So I finally managed to get this MiG finished to a point where I am reasonably happy with it. It was for UKscalemodeller on Youtube's group build but I thought it would be worthwhile showing the process and the finished result here too! If you're quick I'm sure you could get an entry in if you wanted to. 

Here it is! 

6fedf3b860b1c60c9206e67fa130b9e9.png

2ace1e09827d6b2c7d645c9d60d89db0.png

f86cacc9e4fe7a3c4bc987c4af894624.png

310949edf78554f0f73d97cc07a3df73.png

The camo was a time tricky to do. 4 tones, 4 post shades, 4 highlights. 12. Twelve. T w e l v e  colours. I can see why everyone goes with the natural metal finishes. 

c1166eda3a7b2fdb897f6bb6ce30569d.png

This came from the Zvezda tooling in 1/72nd scale...

It is actually a nice tooling for the price, crisp recessed surface detail. The packaging was a bit rough, everything thrown in the box inside another box without bags, decals and perspex and all. The only way the packaging could have been more Russian was if the kit came in a metal can :lol:
e433f905f8164cb2386be76e56d03d99.jpg

I should mention that the paint scheme I went for wasnt one in the box, I just spare decals to make it possible. 

The thread to the build I posted...

Lastly the video I put together, it shows the whole build in a hopefully in a fuller light than the build updates in the thread above. Hopefully this one doesn't get taken down like the Harrier's did. You can watch the video embedded here from Youtube. Hopefully the admins wont mind seeing as everything is here...

Thoughts?
Cheers! 

• Like 19

Hi Murrodels:!

Congratulations for that wonderful job.

I have learned some new techniques that will be very useful in a project I am currently working, and will be looking for some products to try my hand embelishing the model building. Thank you verymuch for sharing!!

Cheers!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

On 12/04/2017 at 7:15 PM, Gerrardandrews said:

I've even got the 1/32 Trumpeter kit, had it years. Such an interesting and important design in the history of aviation 😊

Good luck with a 1/32nd beast! It would be huge! It really is, such a timeless plane.

On 12/04/2017 at 8:01 PM, Billydick said:

Thanks for this ... brilliant job and I thoroughly enjoyed your vid !  :goodjob:

BillyD

Thank you! There's more on the way!

23 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Fine build of an iconic Cold War aircraft. Nice to see a Mig 21 in the proper scale too.

Haha thanks man! I'd be keen to try one in 1/48th as well, would be able to pack a lot of detail into one that's that much bigger!

19 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Murrodels:!

Congratulations for that wonderful job.

I have learned some new techniques that will be very useful in a project I am currently working, and will be looking for some products to try my hand embelishing the model building. Thank you verymuch for sharing!!

Cheers!!

Luis Alfonso

Thanks Luis! That's good to hear that you picked some useful things up! My pleasure. Cheers! 

11 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build and camo scheme. 

Thanks man!

8 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very nice build and a great scheme

Cheers! The paintwork was a real b*tch to get right, glad you like it though! 

7 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Nice looking Fishbed, especially with the tricky 4-colour scheme.  Well done!!

Must dig one of these out of my stash ...

I would recommend it! It is a lovely wee kit, not with 4 tone camo, then its a horrific grind, a lovely kit but a massive chore haha. Thanks man! 

Sorry about the mother of all replies, been up to my neck in course work that I have pied the entire Easter holiday haha. 
Thanks for your kind words everyone! 

• Like 2

On 14/04/2017 at 0:09 AM, LuizCarlos said:

Very nice indeed!

Luiz

Thanks Luiz! 

On 14/04/2017 at 8:10 PM, Valkyrie said:

Nice job not seen this camo like the aircraft

Hey! Nor had I, it was on a decal sheet where I had seen it, unfortunately couldnt find it sold anywhere so I made do with what I had. You can see it on the build thread I posted up there! 
Cheers man

• Like 1