So...

I've never built a boat, helicopter or a diorama (unless you count a fancy dress outfit) so what better to do than combine all three

From the For Sale section I got this set

IMG_4673_zpsonne7wqe.jpg

Which I was thinking of turning into a little scene like what the box lid does show. Thusly

IMG_2975_zps1uufektj.jpg

IMG_2976_zps10rghrdy.jpg

• Like 3

Thinking is to build the base of wood and hardboard, texture with plaster/filler and then paint in layers going from 100% paint to 100% varnish to get a good scattering depth with little bits picked out in white

Helicopter mounted on acrylic rod from http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/311523376518?_mwBanner=1&varId=610526264724

Additional figures for the boat and helicopter crews from http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/pj-production-1-72-sar-helicopter-crew.html

Still some thought to go into this before I crack on

• Like 2

In case anyone is wondering how a fancy dress outfit could be considered a diorama...

There was a party with a 1960s theme so I went as the moon landing 

IMG_4734_zpsdry3a9lw.jpg

There were straps that went round neck and back like an apron

*moon not to scale

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

In case anyone is wondering how a fancy dress outfit could be considered a diorama...

There was a party with a 1960s theme so I went as the moon landing 

IMG_4734_zpsdry3a9lw.jpg

There were straps that went round neck and back like an apron

*moon not to scale

Mad! lol I'm hoping you're not thinking of turning the air-sea rescue into a hat?!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - probably time to get going with this

I knocked up a basic box out of spare hardboard and some pine. Am going to rehome the Apollo lander at the same time so that I can try things out and make a pigs ear of them small before I do it big

IMG_5132_zpshfbh96os.jpg

Simple enough - PVA and lots of screws so it seems solid

And then onto the familiar fill, sand, repeat drill. I've added a small block in one corner and drilled it out so that the mounting rod for the helicopter comes in on the diagonal and 22.5degrees off vertical

Little version for Apollo sat on top of the ASR scene below

IMG_5134_zps29l8vjy1.jpg

Current plan is to cut the eventual acrylic rod so that it presents a horizontal surface and glue a bit of steel to it and then hide a little neodynium magnet in the base of the Sea King so that I can take it off for moving around. Does that sound utterly daft?

Edited by LostCosmonauts

Now onto the real deal

Trying out the composition with a blank in place of the lifeboat

IMG_5155_zps79njbsgr.jpg

After cutting out the recess for aforementioned lifeboat

IMG_5156_zpsytan30f4.jpg

And then a first coat of plaster. Textures etc. aren't staying in place - just playing with the first coat while I think

IMG_5157_zpsdi9uhqhn.jpg

• Like 1

Good job! I like the new lander base. You could maybe represent a bit of the Sea of Tranquillity, but I think it's just fine as it is.

And good progress on the ASR base. Now, I know there's a fashion for having models overhanging the edges of their bases, and in some cases that's fine, but I'd be worried about your Sea King getting damaged. Rotor blades are not as sturdy as a Tiger 1's gun barrel, or the nose of a Tornado for example. But then, perhaps you are not clumsy like me, and you haven't inherited mad cats through marriage, and your wife doesn't take to trying to give your models a going over with a feather duster.....:winkgrin:

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

@Badder no fear of cats, dusting or accidental knocks here. My completed models all get packed off to a corner of the loft and they just have to put up with dust. 

As long as they survive my efforts to climb the ladder one handed they can moulder without fear of impact

• Like 1

Have been making progress on the chopper (WIP here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235021024-airfix-raf-westland-sea-king-in-172/) and with the boat stalled (No WIP on that because if we can agree on anything in this polarised world it's that boats are just seaplanes that failed to reach their full potential) it is probably time I cracked on with the scenery.

Quick sand down of the first coat of polyfiller

IMG_5173_zps8dedjzij.jpg

A pose of the models so I can fix in my head how I want it to look

IMG_5172_zpsuymuinsn.jpg

Then after some artistic experimentation with the polyfiller (and a mess that a toddler would have been proud of) we have a sea surface texture that I think I can paint up and be comfortable with

IMG_5174_zpsx3degysj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So to painting - plan was to undercoat the whole thing, gloss coat the sides and mask then work over the upper with a dark blue grey and thin out slowly with more and more varnish to give depth and then a final subtle highlight.

So that's what I've done - as below

IMG_5342_zpsuwdrxfsy.jpg

IMG_5343_zpsh14bbvok.jpg

IMG_5346_zpsgr4xgpqa.jpg

Et voila

Next up some highlits in white, replace the pine dowel with clear acrylic and finish the boat & helicopter

Edited by LostCosmonauts
photobucket finally worked
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting work, I look forward to seeing this progress. I've got that Lander in my stash, keep meaning to break it out to do something a bit different. I remember reading in an old magazine a recommendation to use cigarette ash as moon dust; apparently if you make a pile of it and the blow in the centre it makes a convincing blast pattern of the right colour and consistency. I can imagine how many arguments that must have caused among 1970s modellers and their wives/mothers when they started scattering fag ash all over the place.

• Like 1

where's it gone LostCosmonaughts ? Keep up the good work _ I've just checked in for an update

here's a few chopper and sea rescue dio's I put together to give you a motivational push with yours

DSCF4119_zps1c8d9ca2.jpg

DSCF4118_zps81ab94c4.jpg

null_zps7216e044.jpg

0AC41200-8DE5-49BD-AB26-3CE2BD29EBBA-648

67359B3F-0D50-4E2D-B424-6ACDA7EC466F-648

50BE2372-F7E8-46F4-B0CF-5A18C08A7FCA-648

B9D9BBC9-F3B1-4DC9-9187-73BE250AD229-648

KEEP CALM AND RESCUE MODEL DIORAMA ON ...!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Going to get back to this

By way of an update (and an experiment at replacing photbucket with flickr) here are some pictures of where we stand.

Next step: finish helicopter

After that: Softwood dowel to be replaced by acrylic, downwash and wave highlights 

35067889543_53d93411b0_b.jpg

35708112742_9afe00a678_b.jpg

35745864961_2791096167_b.jpg

• Like 2

Smallish update

For @clive_t - this is what the water surface looks like closer in. Just farting around with plaster and airbrushing to see what I get

35494094420_430548d955_b.jpg

For @cambridge I've had a first go at getting a downwash effect.

Sanding a depression under the centre of the blades

35881989245_6d9d20ef7d_b.jpg

and then airbrushing in some concentric circles of sea grey and white

35494093580_0e0719aa55_b.jpg

• Like 6