1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Knew this was all a waste of time...

:bangin:

:lol:

Sorry Tony, I don't think it's at all a waste of time, apologies if my post that started this off makes you think that. I just paint things so they look right to me, to see your much more scientific approach is very interesting!

Keith

Hello Tony,

Really good job here, I like the comparison's thread, it is very helpfull...

I used the Valejo air for the first time, a little bit weird but very good covering !

The aspect of the paint seem different, and smell good :clap2:

Will try it again, have a go with it, wanna see what you think about.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

... and there was ACRN15 Dark Green BS381C-241 for post-war stuff, but they dropped ACRN15 because nobody could tell them apart. Nick Millman has posted some delta-E values comparing the difference numerically and there is a difference but probably inside what most people (and particularly males) would be able to distinguish.

And it's ACRN15 that I used! And not trying to be clever, but every time I've had my colour perception tested it's been right at the top of the scale, including a few weeks ago - I just wish my eyesight had stayed as good! So maybe I am one of the awkward ones that can see the difference...!! :winkgrin:

So I guess I need to get some of your ACRN09 Jamie!

Sorry for dragging your thread OT Tony.

Keith

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Sorry Tony, I don't think it's at all a waste of time, apologies if my post that started this off makes you think that. I just paint things so they look right to me, to see your much more scientific approach is very interesting!

Keith

No don't worry mate I didn't take any offence 👍🏿

Also there is nothing scientific about this - just painting a group of plastic planes together! 

• Like 1

Six ocean greys on! Were done in pairs, first two yesterday but here again with the rest for a recap.

Will get some photos of all six together tomorrow in some daylight perhaps. 

Mr paint and colourcoats

image.jpg

Xtracrylix and AK air

image.jpg

Mr Color and Hataka Orange

image.jpg

A few brief initial notes:

The AK air is the lightest. 

The hataka and mr paint are quite 'blue-ish'

The xtra and mr colour are quite 'warm' in tone. 

The colourcoats seems nice and neutral. 

Thats all for now. 

• Like 7

I agree with Cookie Tony, and I've also been concentrating on the colour comparisons and so have been remiss in neglecting to say these are six stunning little Spitfires! I'd be happy to make such good progress on six models in a year, let alone less than a month!

Keith

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

these are six high quality builds!

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

these are six stunning little Spitfires! 

Cheers lads but don't be too hasty, more quantity over quality with this lot. Another three to start yet too! There's a reason there aren't any close up pics! :lol:

Speaking of the next three, will start snipping sprues for those once these six have their green on, dont want to leave masking tape on lowers for ages whilst getting sidetracked. End result should be 9 aircraft in opaque virgin camo colours all together. From then I can detail paint (eg yellow leading edges etc), decal and weather/finish one at a time 👍🏿

• Like 6

Here are all the greys together as promised!

image.jpg

Here they are closer together and overlapping for a better comparison. You can still identify the brands by using the picture of all six above, the ones in the left and right columns have just been turned 45 degrees and slotted in.

Hope that makes sense! 

image.jpg

Each one in isolation: 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 8

I find it interesting, bearing in mind what Jamie said about colour perception being influenced by proximity to other colours, that the AK looks very pale when compared to the other manufacturers Ocean Grey but less so when viewed on its own.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Beard said:

I find it interesting, bearing in mind what Jamie said about colour perception being influenced by proximity to other colours, that the AK looks very pale when compared to the other manufacturers Ocean Grey but less so when viewed on its own.

Very true isn't it!

That's exactly why I did each in isolation too - they all look 'correct' on their own. 

Also the angle of the light may play a part, the ak has quite a satin sheen so may seem even brighter due to that? 

• Like 3

Of those,I've got the Colourcoats (in an old WEM tin), Mr Color & Xtracrylix - & they all look OK to me, with possibly the Colourcoats just shading (sorry!) it! The only one that looks a bit off personally is the Hataka- that looks too light to me on my monitor,more like MSG...

Great stuff again Tony, thanks for taking the time to post.

Keith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

The only one that looks a bit off personally is the Hataka- that looks too light to me on my monitor,more like MSG...

That's so interesting, because to my eye/monitor I would say the same about AK example. It'll be interesting to see the demarcation between the Ocean grey and Med Sea grey on that one.

This project continues to fascinate, Tony.

• Like 1

1st green camo done!

This was done early evening yesterday before I posed the question to @Cookenbacher about getting the paper masks to work, the templates which I got from a link which @Procopius did a while back. 

As I couldn't get the paper masks to stay flat enough, I just traced the shapes onto large tamiya tape and used that. It's resulted in a sharp hard edge which seems ok to me for 1/72.

I am going to try again though with the paper masks now I have learned a better method of attachment using loops to get a slight feathered edge 👍🏿

Anyways back to this - thinned 50% with colourcoats own brand and sprayed in light coats at around 15psi. Lovely smooth finish with no ridges from the tape :)

Only one area needed touching in where the tape had lifted so I just remasked that tiny part and extended the green a bit...

image.jpg

Crisp! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

To @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies you can use these images if you like 👍🏿

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking guys. 

• Like 11

Now that green looks much better to me Jamie, not as dark & 'greener' than the old tin I've used on my P-47 - I definitely need to save my pocket money & get an order into you!

And I agree with Tony that it does give a lovely smooth finish and it's most certainly the nicest paint to airbrush I've yet used!

That little Spit is looking lovely Tony, I think the hard edged camo looks really good in 1/72! Do you by chance still have the link to those paper templates?

Keith

• Like 2

These all look cracking and as the others have said, they are a great comparison! Really like how the green has gone on, I'm not a fan of and overly feathered demarcation line in 1/72, as the lines would have looked quite shape at that distance.

nice work mate, keep it up!

Rob

• Like 1

Very smooth Tony - good job :)

I use the paper templates stuck down with 3M Re-mount - you spray it on the back of the paper and then the templates are just like PostIts. Not the cheapest of stuff (shop around, less than £20 for 400ml) but a can will last ages and cheaper than AM masks (or Tamiya tape I guess).

Make sure you get Re-Mount or you'll be very cross...

• Like 3

p.s. I use it a lot now - if you have a scanner you can also 'make your own' templates by scanning the kit scheme diagram and printing it out, scaled to fit the model.

Simples.

• Like 3