5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Phew!

Well done Tony, didn't doubt for a second.

32 minutes ago, rob85 said:

That is some really nice work Tony! Your freehand is excellent. And is so funny seeing the variation in their line up.

Rob

Thanks guys 👍🏿

Second what Cookie said, not a doubt in my mind either, you seem to be far too tenacious not to have done all 6. Errr, 9...!! 

And it is indeed amusing to see so many different variations of the same colours - which t.b.h. reflects what I've often noticed on real life aeroplanes...

Good work all round Tony, looking forward to seeing them all finished!

Keith

• Like 2

Dark green time!

Again as per the ocean greys its : 

All together, individualy and then overlapping to try and get the colours to flow into another. 

A few notes -

1. The hataka, mr color and colourcoats greens are all very close. 

2. The Mr Paint green is the lightest, which along with its almost violet ocean grey makes the whole scheme look a bit off. 

3. The AK air bird has the highest contrast - Although this doesn't seem that apparent in the pictures, the grey looks darker now as this plane has had a coat of gloss already to try and smooth out the blotchy dark green. 

image.jpg

Three that were freehand 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Three that were masked. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Same order as the pic of all six above, outside pairs just slotted in. Mr Color @ 12o'clock position. 

image.jpg

Hiding at the bottom of the cabinet while they wait for the next three...

image.jpg

• Like 14

This must be Britmodellers most extensive research with actual paint on model in a long time. If you cover everything with a gloss coat, to level the sheen a bit the comparison should more fair I guess?

Just looking at the last pictures, my guess is that Mr Paint and the upcoming Tamiya paint-session will be quite similar.

By the way, how many resin engine cowls did you order??

All six spits are looking excellent, despite the differences in paint...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Christer A said:

If you cover everything with a gloss coat, to level the sheen a bit the comparison should more fair I gues

Good point cheers mate!

I will do that to all 9 once the next three are up to this stage, then re-take the comparison pics with the paint jars again 👍🏿

• Like 2

Well this definitely lived up to expectations Tony, really interesting to see them all together, and it seems to confirm my recent 'conversion' to Colourcoats.

@Greenshirt did an interesting Dark green comparison on his blog that might make for interesting companion reading at this point. (He also did Ocean grey).

As an aside, I can attest that Vallejo Model Color 893 matches Colourcoats Dark green almost exactly, both of which are said to match official colour chips. In true Vallejo fashion, 893 is helpfully labeled "FS 34079, US Dark Green" for which it is not a match! I also learned the hard way that Vallejo Model Air "US Dark Green" is a completely different colour. 

I can't wait to see how the next three compare. This continues to be a great project Tony, and the Spitfires are looking fantastic, paint experiment or no.

• Like 2

Just came across your monster project Tony. Some great information and I specially like the paint comparisons. I personally prefer having some variations in the camouflage colours. With apparently over 100 wartime paint providers, there had to be surely some variation on the real aircraft too.

And how boring would it look if all the RAF aircraft in a display cabinet have exactly the same colours. To me, the contrast between the camouflage colours are somewhat more important than each individual colour.

In regards to cockpit colours, I thought Supermarine used their own green which was lighter than the grey-green interrior colour used by other manufacturer. Also I think that the interior of the rear fuselage was silver and not painted in the interior colour as can be seen here.

07rness.jpg

This picture is of a Mk.V,but I believe it was also the case on Mk.iXs

Of interest is this picture from Mk.IX MH415 as it was found after 42 years in storage. It is considered one of the most authentic looking interior of a Mk.IX at the time.

Spitfire-MH415-interior.jpg

More information on this aircraft can be found here.

This is maybe of interest to others who use your excellent WIP as a guide.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Eagerly waiting updates on this....

It's almost august now!

But no pressure, do it in your own time!

Yeah sorry lads, was meant to start July but this month has been sorting out a bereavement to cancer unfortunately. Managed to dabble a little bit with the tomcat saga this past week but thats about it really modelling wise. 

However the delay means that now I can substitute the planned mr hobby build (shades same as mr color really) with the new mission models paints when they get here next month if I can get my hands on some. 

Thanks for the 'poke' and your continued interest 👍🏿

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I see in an email Mig Ammo are bringing out an RAF day fighter set.... 

What with the mission paints hopefully bringing out the same too in November (only brown and sky to go with their dark green for an early scheme at the moment) 

May just spur me on to revive this and get cracking with the next few  in the above paints. 

Or at least get the decals on the first six...

Forgot what schemes/decals they are going to wear need to read through all this lot again and check my notes! 

Tony

• Like 5

Fantastic parallel builds and paint comparisons going on here. Couldn't have found this topic at a better time as I'm looking for a paint range to go for, and it's looking more and more like Colourcoats. Keep up the good work. :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic parallel builds and paint comparisons going on here. Couldn't have found this topic at a better time as I'm looking for a paint range to go for, and it's looking more and more like Colourcoats. Keep up the good work. :goodjob:

No problems mate 👍🏿

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies Will be most pleased with your decision :) 

Hopefully at some point that I keep threatening about in the future I will get some more done in tamiya, vallejo, and the still to get mission and mig shades then there will be in total 10 spits all side by side in raw solid camo before their decals for the mother of all paint comparisons.

One day...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh another set to compare into the fold... 

7_D01_FAA5-_FFE5-4_A42-9_FAC-_DBF307_EBD

This will definitely be restarting next month as getting bored with tomcats...

So here’s to the next three builds - vallejo model air, tamiya and the above mig ammo. 

See you soon! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beard said:

I look forward to you re-starting.

Thanks mate! 

And If I remember correctly you have first dibs on all the spares from the next three, possibly 4 builds if misson models bring out msg and ocean grey 👍🏿  

Any news on thats @Duncan B regards mission? 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Here we go again. Again. Again. 

Next four paints all in one place now....

Mig, mission, model air and tamiya. 

F2828_E0_A-0_E88-46_E1-_ABA3-4_BBAEAF746

Keeping the foreign theme - 

israeli, french, South african and then a Polish squadron chosen mainly for the nose art, from a kagero book. (Will be the only one with british roundels) 

Makes a total of ten! 

7_CA1_F0_E3-9_DB0-44_E7-_ADD8-_D914_C6_A

Three overtrees and a weekend kit. Bought for plastic as decals irrelevant. 

• Like 7