Not much to report, will have more later as painting pits currently. 

Just a few pics from monday/yesterday when I started snippin' sprues...

Went together fairly fast. As they are all overtrees there is no etch so had to drill (0.3mm) and then smooth out the seatbelt slot in the plastic armour. 

Some of these will wear the latest 'steel belts' which arrived yesterday from @Mikemx at the very efficient mjwmodels 👍🏿

Also the brace bar between the bulkheads was done on all builds with stretched sprue to save messing about with part B21 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bulkheads glued to this side thats visible through side door so will finish cleaner than trying to glue painted parts in. Seat and floor done as seperate sub-assy to make belts easier 👍🏿 

image.jpg

Bye for now...

• Like 10

Where else would you get to see 6 shades of grey green all together in real world conditions? Well right here on Britmodeller of course. And who's the fool to put himself through all this? Well that would be me. 

First off apologies for them being in two groups, done at different times and now at different stages. But I will get a shot of all 6 together when complete before I button up the fuselages 👍🏿

So the paints were sprayed straight onto clean washed plastic.

No priming because:

1 - no masking required

2 - all uniform surface ie no metal 

3 - no seams to check

4 - fine detail so minimal paint wanted

5 - close tolerances so a thin paint coat wanted again. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

In my opinion: 

The mr paint is too bright.

Then both lacking a grey tone is the alclad also being too dull and AK also too green. 

Overall the hataka looks best?

The xtracrylix and mr colour are very similar to each other and the hataka. 

What do you guys think? 

• Like 7

I have incredibly poor colour perception at the best of times, and my work monitor isn't the greatest, but I thought that the Xtracrylix looked pretty good followed by Alclad. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Holy Toledo! Just a note, the Greek Mark IXs appear to have dispensed with the cannon shrouds:

scrubelos%20Spit%20MYSTRAS.jpg

More info here: http://imansolas.freeservers.com/Aces/Greeks in Spitfires.html

You know, looking at the photo again, I think the red "lip" is also painted on the top of the carburettor intake. 

• Like 3

Glad to see you in with two Spitfire trios Tony, a true EESEE (palindrome acronym - bonus points)

I like the Hataka and Xtracrylix best out of your test, but I'm a lousy judge of color.

I have to say that, like Simon, Colourcoats is my new favorite RAF interior green now too. Humbrol 78 always goes on so promising, and is one of the best brushing acrylics ever, but then darkens as it dries. I usually end up dry brushing on some Sky and it gives a nice effect.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Procopius said:

You know, looking at the photo again, I think the red "lip" is also painted on the top of the carburettor intake. 

I agree with that too mate 👍🏿

9 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Glad to see you in with two Spitfire trios Tony, a true EESEE (palindrome acronym - bonus points)

Glad you appreciate the title 👍🏿 

worked on it for a while and wanted six words for the 6 plane theme and consulted a thesaurus to get alternative words starting with same letters. How sad :whistle:

• Like 3

On 4/12/2017 at 9:06 AM, Procopius said:

Part B21 is the worst. I don't know what they were thinking, attaching it to the sprue along one of the sides.

Ruined the kit for me. I've binned them all. 

/s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tony, you're a machine mate. Where do you put everything you build? 

Lookimg forward to seeing the progress of this one. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Antb said:

Where do you put everything you build? 

Into a cabinet that seems to get smaller with every build... Need to find a store that has a special 'Narnia Edition'

I just have an ikea billy bookcase with glass doors added. Every now and then I sell some off (evilbay) to make room when its out with the old and in with the new. However finding it harder to choose what to get rid of next as some will have to go to make room for these!  

In other news, the decals for the last two have turned up. Pics will be added later...

and here they are:

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

So here are a few pics showing what I've been doing to six cockipts. Pretty basic stuff but looks ok for the scale. 

They had a drybrushing, black bits, grey bits (each colour added had a highlight too) few silver touches then a wash/fliter. 

The wash is something new I tried. Read about it somewhere a while back. It's a mix of klear, water and a few drops of dark brown acrylic paint. The klear slows down the drying it seems, helps it self level too and stops the tide marks one usually gets when using an acrylic wash. 

Drybrush

image.jpg

image.jpg

Black bits

image.jpg

image.jpg

Seat red brown bakelite(?) Black to be added. 

image.jpg

Grey bits

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wash on

image.jpg

Wash dry. Crisps everything up. 

image.jpg

Not gold medal stuff, but looks ok for 1/72 and doing 6 together. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Products used for details- new blue line by @HATAKA OFFICIAL mixed up all the colours from these primarys. Very easy to work with  👍🏿

image.jpg

Belts going on seat sub assy. 

image.jpg

Glued into fuselage 

image.jpg

Top belt added

image.jpg

Two bits of stretched sprue added. 

image.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 19

Great internals Tony :)

Those belts are particularly effective - did you scratch them (and if so how please) or are they AM?

• Like 1

Just now, CedB said:

Great internals Tony :)

Those belts are particularly effective - did you scratch them (and if so how please) or are they AM?

Thanks, those belts are the standard Eduard etch ones that come with the profipacks/royal class boxing (where I pinched these from)

Next instalment will be all about the seatbelts, used three types (two of each) across these 6 planes. 

Stay tuned...

• Like 4