Wot - no vortex generators? - Buccaneer S.2B

A lovely job of that Matchbox kit.

Interesting topic of the VG's as well. We learn more each day.

On 4/11/2017 at 11:53 AM, Navy Bird said:

We Bucc fans really need an accurate new tool kit in 1:72. This seems like such a natural fit for Airfix, I'm surprised they haven't done it yet as they fix up their back catalogue.

Tanmodel is close to releasing their new, detailed Bucc. It is initially in 1:48, but they will then turn to releasing another in 1:72nd.

Airfix "fixing up their back catalogue"... Don't get me started on their 1:48th Bucc.:swear:

• Like 1

Very nice model and a lesson learned as well..thanks for posting.

I wonder about XV165 and the vortex generators.

I saw her at HMS Fulmar with NASU then later with 803 Sqn so she was certainly in Royal Navy service after initial trials and storage,so when she was converted for the RAF as per the pic did they remove the generators or were others before the XW  S2Bs built without them?

Richard

11 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Very nice model and a lesson learned as well..thanks for posting.

I wonder about XV165 and the vortex generators.

I saw her at HMS Fulmar with NASU then later with 803 Sqn so she was certainly in Royal Navy service after initial trials and storage,so when she was converted for the RAF as per the pic did they remove the generators or were others before the XW  S2Bs built without them?

Richard

The VG mods applied to the ex-RN S.2As as well as new build S.2Bs so I think they were removed during conversion to S.2A and then installed a year or two later. I haven't been able to find the reason for VG removal yet, but I suspect it was just drag reduction.

• Like 1

Wonderful Buccaneer model! I built the Matchbox kit as a child and later bought the Revell release of the kit and really have an idea of the work invested to achieve this result.

Cheers,

Mario

• 10 months later...

Very interesting post and a very nice model. It is interesting to note the matt (flat) finish with D type roundels as they would normally be more associated with a gloss finish. I wonder if the change to B's were anticipated? 

Caught onto this one quite late and so good to see such a well built Matchbox kit. I’ve also got this kit in the stash and have been scratching my head on how to reinstate those missing VG’s. Your great thread may have solved this issue for me. I’d like to do a late RN Bucc, but will need to find some photographic evidence to help me along. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave

• Like 1