1/72 - Kalinin K-7 by MikroMir - released

Homebee

I appreciate all the creative effort and business risk Mikro-Mir has undertaken. On the other hand, would I be wrong to say that the price if the kit was a resin one would not be too much higher than this? So what's the point of production in styrene? The manufacturers naturally behave in their best interest to recoup their investment and make a well deserved profit, but is not in their best interest as well to sell as many kits as they can? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, F-4Guy said:

I appreciate all the creative effort and business risk Mikro-Mir has undertaken. On the other hand, would I be wrong to say that the price if the kit was a resin one would not be too much higher than this? So what's the point of production in styrene? The manufacturers naturally behave in their best interest to recoup their investment and make a well deserved profit, but is not in their best interest as well to sell as many kits as they can? 

Maybe that's not the case if they are producing a short run kit. After all, short run means it's a sort of limited edition and they would want to take as much out of it as they can when there's a limit to the number of kits a short run mould set can produce.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, F-4Guy said:

Well, if prices of resin kits are any indication, I would expect the cost of this model, if produced in resin, would be twice as much, if not more.

Producing in IM styrene makes perfect sense to me. Not only will it ensure a larger production run, it will benefit from (presumably) wider distribution, greater availability and a larger market at a lower price.

Personally, I would not have even considered buying this kit if it were resin but, as its unaffordable anyway, that point at least is moot! 😊

Allan

11 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

As I understand it the wing in this kits is fibreglass /resin which has led to this price point . (According to one source only 100 have been made )

Hmmm, good point and may well shed some light on the price tag.

16 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

As I understand it the wing in this kits is fibreglass /resin which has led to this price point

Clearly visible in this image posted earier.........

spacer.png

With a scale wingspan of 74 cm (29in) the wings are probably beyond Miko-Mir's injection-moulding capability - hence the use of fibreglass resin

- as used by Amodel in their 'Amonster' series - and Modelsvit on their An-124 and An-225

My K-7 is in the postal system somewhere - (I eventually talked myself into purchasing one - using the money saved on petrol during the lockdown).

At least that's the rationale I used..... :whistle:

Ken

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

All right said Mr. Flankerman.

The model is made using mixed technology.

Small plastic parts and large resin surfaces.

Large resin parts add significantly to the total cost of the model.

Pasting the resin wing shape takes time and labor.

The production of such models can be called piece.

10 hours ago, Amarket said:

All right said Mr. Flankerman.

The model is made using mixed technology.

Small plastic parts and large resin surfaces.

Large resin parts add significantly to the total cost of the model.

Pasting the resin wing shape takes time and labor.

The production of such models can be called piece.

I love this model, but at A$450 it's an insane price for a 1/72 kit. I understand the cost of producing it, and I think can see why it was done this way, but way out of anything I can justify. You could always sell just the IM parts and a some plans to make the wing from wood? Never going to happen I know.

I really hope it sells well, so that other runs might be cheaper.

Steve

This kit is so crazy that I have to get one, I am just waiting for the Norwegian krone to rebound a bit before purchasing one.

It would have been even more expensive in resin; being a regular customer of ABMs weird and wonderful Irish-Russian resin kits I guesstimated the price for a resin kit of this size - scary.

The Soviet Union produced some really incredible aircraft and kit makers in Russia, Ukraine, Belorussia and rest of the world are giving us the opportunity of some unusual looking builds.

I am still waiting for a decent MiG-3, Grumman Hu-16B Albatross and a Junkers G-38 in 1:72 scale, so there is room for both Micro and Macro Mir projects.