1/32nd Revell Spitfire Mk.IX- Converted into a Mk.VIII, of 79 Sqn RAAF, S. Pacific 1945.

Hiya Folks,

Here is the brand new 1/32nd scale Revell Spitfire Mk.IX which I have converted into a Spitfire Mk.VIII, A58-517, UP-F flown by Flying Officer Norm Turnball of 79 Sqn RAAF from Morotai, S. Pacific during April 1945.

This kit has been getting  a bit of a pasting from some parts of the hobby yet I was really happy with it! OK there were gaps in the wing root which needed to be filled using plastic shims, the cockpit was missing the armour plate from behind the pilots seat and the padded head rest needed to be removed from the armour behind the pilots head,..... but hey, that is modelling and for £30 I`m not grumbling!

To convert this model into a Mk.VIII I shortened the kit ailerons, added a grey matter resins retractable tail wheel, made a bulge for the forward right hand cowling from scrap plastic and then bought a Barracuda resin seat, entrance door and RAAF style treaded tyres. To finish off the decals also came from Barracuda and here is the WIP in case anybody is interested;

Finally,.....here s the finished model;

DSCF0073DSCF0068DSCF0069DSCF0076

DSCF0077

And to provide scale,.....the 1/32nd model accompanied by a 1/48th & 1/72nd Spit too;

DSCF0079

DSCF0054_zpsamyofknv.jpg

DSCF0059_zpsw6bba1ol.jpg

Sorry if there are too many pics!

As usual the model was brush painted and I`m quite pleased with the way it came out, I finally have a big Aussie Spit in my collection!

Cheers

Tony 

PS,.....Ooops,.....forgot to drill the downward i/d light in the rear fuselage! I filled in the Mk.IX type under the belly but have just realised that I had meant to drill a new one. I decided to leave the downward i/d lights under the wings as later Mk.VIII`s had these deleted.

Edit;

Last night I drilled out the hole in the rear fuselage for the downward i/d light and glazed it with crystal clear;

DSCF0078_zpss8wg9mav.jpg

I also noticed that the scribed detail for the wing tanks did not show up on the pics so I have added a bit of silver chipping to make them more obvious;

DSCF0077_zpscnm9bxo1.jpg

And finally,....to give the model a bit of scale,.....here it is with a 1/48th and 1/72nd scale pit;

DSCF0079_zpsmkrabpga.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 42

A great result there, Tony. 

And as you say, for £30 or there-abouts you can't go wrong really! I've ordered this kit and can't wait to get going on it. 

I've seen some question why anyone would buy this kit when the Tamiya kit is available, but my answer to that is I have no desire whatsoever to spend £100+ on a 1/32nd Spitfire but for me, £30 is spot on in terms of value. And I'll also spend another £30 when Revell's new P-51 hits the shelves, too - as again for me £100+ for the Tamiya one just isn't worth it in my opinion. 

This is is the first version of his kit I've seen finished and you've done it proud!

Tom

• Like 3

No Tony, you can't do this to me, I've been resisting buying this kit, but you have made a superb job of it and have tempted me, I really like it a lot.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Beautiful build :clap2:  !!

I see that you did not forget the football shaped Medium Sea Gray patch below the engine, this is a nice touch,

best,

Christian.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spitfire said:

No Tony, you can't do this to me, I've been resisting buying this kit, but you have made a superb job of it and have tempted me, I really like it a lot.

Cheers

Dennis

You`ve got to get one,....... I`m buying another to do as a Dutch East Indies aircraft in Jungle Green and Light Blue. Wanted to do one of these for years!

Image result for spitfire dutch jungle

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Thanks for your kind remarks,......if you are interested in a large scale Spit on a budget,......you have to get one of these!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

An absolutely, wonderful model. Still have trouble looking at it and realizing you brush painted the finish!  Wish I had your touch. Glad to see you went with the blue spinner. Your next project looks very interesting. I know you will do a bang up job on that as well. Superb work!

• Like 1

Excellent result as usual Tony. I wish I had your motivation to bang out such great results in a short time. Revell should be congratulated on producing a decent buildable kit at a very reasonable price and not slated by the self appointed experts.

Mick

Edited by mick b
  • Like 3

Great job, Tony, I love it! There's something about Aussie Spits...maybe it's the white tail. The Dutch East Indies example looks like a great subject. Can't wait for that one!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

What a lovely looking Spitfire Tony. You've done a cracking job with this one and in less time than it takes me to read the instruction sheet.

The finish is superb, as is the choice of markings.

You're always going to get comments about it not fitting as well as the Tamiya kit, but it's not Tamiya and it's not £100. But it does look every inch a Spitfire and has given you a lot of pleasure in building it and in my book, that's all that matters.

Really great work again Tony.

Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 1

Wow, this is truly inspirational, I love the way the build evolved to end up with a Mk.VIII. I am in awe that it is brush painted and the weathering that has been achieved. 

This kit is excellent value and it just shows what can be achieved when someone like Tony gets stuck in. Fantastic.

• Like 1

Thanks again everybody for your kind comments,.....I have added some new pics to the main post to show some remedial work that I did on the model last night,

Cheers

Tony

Top stuff Tony, and quick too! I reckon you can't go wrong for £30, all the naysayers just need something to moan about no matter what it is. 

I confess i have a Tamiya Spit in the stash, but i'll picking one of these up too - The finished article wont be up to your standards but i'll have fun doing it and that's why we do it isn't it...?

Anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to next. 

Nick

• Like 1

Very fine job Tony, I particularly appreciate the weathering.

And all this with the Hairy stick. I stay in awe :gobsmacked:

Nicely done, I really like the family shot of the 3 Aussies spits, real fun !

Congratulations !

Sincerely.

corsaircorp

• Like 1

like most people here ,i would not pay the price for the tamiya offering ,the revell kit looks almost as good and for a third of the price.

having seen your build, i might be tempted to buy this kit

p.s you cant have too many pictures of an awesome build:yes:

• Like 1

God I wish I could brush paint like this! That is superb, beautifully finished and weathered as always.

Eng

• Like 1