Airfix F-84F Thunderstreak 1/72 .... shish style

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

Having recently hammered and screwed together a simple photo set up, which I have used for my Voodoo this week and others, I have had a little time today and so ventured back to the shelf and pulled out an oldie to re-shoot. THis time it is my F-84F, and machine that I have always loved. I hope you like the new images. There is a link in this case, in that the 450 gal. tanks came from a Voodoo, my current type of choice...

(images moved to Post #1)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 4

Martin,

This is the first time I've seen this - what a cracking job you've done with an old kit of one of those fascinating old 1950's jets.

Was there a WIP for this?

Hi Wez @Wez. No, no WIP. Sorry. As you say, it is one of those machines that speaks 1950s and early jets to me. My fascination was with the Greek machines that were still alive and kicking in the 1970s and early 80s. I remember as a "spotter" travewlling round to see as many of these as I could - Belgian, Dutch, German, Greek, etc.... all retired, though. I did see flying RFs at Larissa a couple of times, though. :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

No, no WIP

That's a shame.

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

As you say, it is one of those machines that speaks 1950s and early jets to me.

Exactly that really, a fascinating time when this year's model was soon obsolete yet soldiered on.  Lots of great colour schemes with these jets, as you say, used by just about every European NATO country.  I'd love a modern kit of this aircraft in 1/72nd!

I have looked back and I took some photos as I built her but never did the WIP. I used a F-86 resin cockpit as a generic jet cockpit for a bit more details, plus a MB seat, of course! ;)

Martin

Hi Martin. First time I've seen this too. You made an amazing job with this, it really looks the part. I love all the old NATO F-84's and RF's, and this one is excellent. I've always been put off the Airfix one with it's raised panel lines, which I now realise with some skill, can be rectified. Who knows. maybe I'll pick one or two up in the future, as I had considered the PJ productions resin would be the only choice, or maybe one from Sword to follow the RF?

Terry

3 hours ago, ivand said:

You're not alone! Let's hope Sword will continue on the path they've set with their RF-84F.

Let's hope so although I have to admit that I have two of their RFs on my shelf un-built. I hope to get at least one built this year. Fingers crossed ;)

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Hi Martin. First time I've seen this too. You made an amazing job with this, it really looks the part. I love all the old NATO F-84's and RF's, and this one is excellent. I've always been put off the Airfix one with it's raised panel lines, which I now realise with some skill, can be rectified. Who knows. maybe I'll pick one or two up in the future, as I had considered the PJ productions resin would be the only choice, or maybe one from Sword to follow the RF?

Terry

Yes, Terry, it builds up in to a reasonable model. There is no denying that the scribing was tedious but the end goal made it worth it :). Thanks for your compliments.

Martin

• Like 1

Martin,

Remind me, it's been an age since I last looked at one of these, (it was over 35 years ago since I last tried to make a Belgian example and made a right pigs ear of it)! 

Are the airbrakes separate mouldings?  Likewise, the wing mouldings, would I be able to drill through the holes in the spoilers or does the moulding incorporate the lower wing in that area?

I reckon I could do something about the airbrakes but the spoilers could be a bit more problematic...

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Martin,

Remind me, it's been an age since I last looked at one of these, (it was over 35 years ago since I last tried to make a Belgian example and made a right pigs ear of it)! 

Are the airbrakes separate mouldings?  Likewise, the wing mouldings, would I be able to drill through the holes in the spoilers or does the moulding incorporate the lower wing in that area?

I reckon I could do something about the airbrakes but the spoilers could be a bit more problematic...

Hi Wez, 

As I recall - although I do have a couple more in the loft that I could check - the airbrakes are separate. The wing mouldings come with the ailerons and spoilers moulded in to the lower section. I can check but give me time ;)

Martin

45 minutes ago, Tunguska said:

You're correct, the Airfix kit is indeed a nice kit, and you've achieved a top result with your model. The 1960s/70s/80s jets are probably my favourite subject.

Thanks mate :). I love them! :)

• Thanks 1

Strange, the red in the new photos is particularly vivid almost dayglo. Maybe because I'm viewing it on my phone. 

I really like that kit. I bought it when it was first issued by Airfix many years ago. You really did it justice. 

Thanks Noel. Likewise, it was a kit I built in my school days in the 1970s ;). Certainly there is no dayglo.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 5 months later...

The Airfix Thunderstreak is still a top notch kit and if Airfix rebox it again probably i will buy a few. A Fantastic,well done Turkish F-84 topped up with an interesting service information.honestly I didn't realize the Turkish shoot down tally would include Iraqis Beagles,I was expecting some from their Agean neighbour to the west.

22 hours ago, mdauben said:

A very nicely done 'Streak in an unusual but attractive livery!  Well done.  👍

I've just seen the resurrection of this post. Thanks for that @mdauben.

8 hours ago, Kampartiger said:

The Airfix Thunderstreak is still a top notch kit and if Airfix rebox it again probably i will buy a few. A Fantastic,well done Turkish F-84 topped up with an interesting service information.honestly I didn't realize the Turkish shoot down tally would include Iraqis Beagles,I was expecting some from their Agean neighbour to the west.

I agree @Kampartiger. Its main weakness is its canopy area. It has some shape inaccuracies but they are forgiveable. Of course, it needs (?) the panel lines scribed. The Turks had a lot of them. :)

Martin

Great build there, Martin.

As someone else commented, you do not see many of these built. I remember making this kit when it first came out (circa 1972/73 ? IIRC) and it was deemed to be a 'state-of-the-art' kit for the time. I certainly recall this being the case - The 1970s was the heyday of my early modelling with the Airfix BAC Strikemaster, Dornier Do-17 and B-26 Marauder among my favourites together with this F-84F of course.

Well Done, Sir !

On 15 September 2019 at 8:15 AM, CT Modeller said:

Really like that. It's proper modelling. I remember from scribing one of these a long time ago that the fuselage panels around the nose area are a tad difficult to do but you seem to have sorted that nicely.

Thanks mate. It was certainly a mind-numbing experience scribing all those lines but not as bad as some others! I dont recall the nose being specially difficult but then it was a couple of years ago and my old brain ........

On 15 September 2019 at 10:11 AM, Tiger331 said:

Great build there, Martin.

As someone else commented, you do not see many of these built. I remember making this kit when it first came out (circa 1972/73 ? IIRC) and it was deemed to be a 'state-of-the-art' kit for the time. I certainly recall this being the case - The 1970s was the heyday of my early modelling with the Airfix BAC Strikemaster, Dornier Do-17 and B-26 Marauder among my favourites together with this F-84F of course.

Well Done, Sir !

@Tiger331 I, too, remember building this kit in the 1970s and I always thought it was a solid and attractive model. It is a bit clunky here and there but overall not too bad. Thanks for your message. Much appreciated. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner