Airfix F-84F Thunderstreak 1/72 .... shish style

Thanks chaps. I enjoyed build her. The Techmod and Tigerhead decals were particularly nice to work with. I'm not so impressed by the AirDoc. They were out of register here and there. For an expensive set I was disappointed.

Now I can get on with my next F-100 :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
more comments
  • Like 1

My poor research maybe but I just noticed that some F-84Fs/RF-84Fs flew without the stone guard to the rear of the nosewheel. Was that normal practice? If so it will make my build of an RF- that much simpler if I can simply remove it ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
typo

You are really too kind, chaps. My next task is a Danish Sled - I changed my mind rom Turkish - and then three F-104s followed by an RF-84fF,  which will need some slimming treatment because the old Italeri is known to be wide around the canopy. I have a plan - one I've employed before. 

Martin

19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

My poor research maybe but I just noticed that F-84Fs/RF-84Fs flew without the stone guard to the rear of the nosewheel. Was that normal practice? If so it will make my build of an RF- that much simpler if I can simply remove it ;)

does anyone out there know?

Martin

Yes, I have fond memories of that kit. I believe it was the first time I slopped Airfix G8 silver paint on anything.

Your model is absolutely stunning Martin. Thanks for posting.

But I really don't think any air force should adopt square national insignia!

On 10 April 2017 at 9:33 PM, Darren Rhodes said:

Very nice Martin! :clap2:  Don't see the F-84F very often at all.  Great scribing and painting.  Another I also have in the stash awaiting if my scribing skills ever improve :sleeping:

Hi Darren, 

I'll admit to mine not being that great either. Certainly anything I have produced so far wouldn't win any competitions on that front. I learn, try and practice. Even airbrushing is a relatively new experience for me. When I built kits 35+ years ago I had no such thing and never considered scribing.  Again, thanks sincerely. It was a labour of love.

martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Hi Giorgio! Thanks for that? :).  You are right - it was a struggle for me as my old hands are not as nimble as they once were. I loved the Airfix 'Streak that I built when I was young and have built a couple more over the past two or three years, plus an Italeri RF. Aside from the '104 I think the 'Streak is my favourite jet fighter. ..... Ah, but then there is the Thud, the F-100, the ........ My list goes on ;)

all the best, 

Martin

Hi all,

Just bringing my earlier question to the fore - about a number of F-84s operating without the nose wheel rear guard. Was that a regular thing? 

Thanks to to anyone who knows.

Martin