1/48 - General Aircraft GAL-48 Hotspur Mk.II & GAL-48B Twin Hotspur Mk.I resin kits by Planet Models - Hotspur Mk.II released

Homebee

Planet Models is to release 1/48th General Aircraft Hotspur glider kits.

- ref. PLT211 - General Aircraft GAL-48 Hotspur Mk.II - released - link

- ref. PLT213 - General Aircraft GAL-48B Twin Hotspur Mk.I 

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2017/04/plt211-gal-48-hotspur-mkii-plt213-gal.html

GAL 48 Hotspur Mk.II (PLT211) and GAL 48B Twin Hotspur Mk.I (PLT213) in 1/48 – forthcoming Planet series models

Besides our 1/48 Miles Libellula kit that still needs some attention from our team, we are happy to share with you an announcement of yet another pair of Planet Model series resin kits, the GAL Hotspur Mk.II and GAL Twin Hotspur Mk.I, both in 1/48 scale. Whilst the Libellula has been completely designed using our 3D technology, the pair of gliders benefits fromt he 3D only as far as the cockpit and several smaller parts are concerned. The kits’ major components have been handiworked.  The preparation work on the master parts is still going to take some time, the smaller parts need to be produced on the 3D printer and the common fuselage halves also adapted for the Twin version. The camouflage schemes have not been chosen yet, but in the case of the Mk.II Hotspur, we plan to find also one glider flown by Czechoslovak pilots.

Hotspur.jpg

IMG_5520.JPG IMG_5521.JPG

Hotspur%2B01.jpg Hotspur%2B02.jpg

Hotspur%2B03.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Spitfire tug, hmm. It was done experimentally, using BS434, a Spitfire IX, at Sherburn-in-Elmet in 1944, but it was neither normal nor sensible. You really need something that will work well in a much lower speed range. A Hawker Audax or Hector more like it, Maximum towing speed is only 135 mph IAS, about 117 knots. A Spitfire would get quite hot and bothered in a prolonged climb at such a low speed. The Miles Master, Whitley and Wellington are also mentioned in the pilot's notes as towplanes for the type

Edited by Work In Progress

The tow trials with Spits were carried out on three separate occasions with Spitfire Mk I, Mk V and Mk IX as tugs, all had a max tow speed of 150 mph and you are quite correct it did lead to overheating although the Canadians (Sqns 411 & 412) in early 1944 found that towing Hotspurs carrying spares and ground crew to be practical. The plan was for these Sqns to use the Hotspur to carry the wherewithal to support their operations from airfields in France over on D-day.

As far as a more normal tug for the Hotspur goes its fortunate I have a Magna models Miles Master III in the stash which only needs a shortened rudder manufactured. 

I revisited the reports and the speed thing is interesting. The Spitfire Mk I / Hotspur reports originated from the RAE at Farnborough and it gave a Vne of 160mph, the other two reports came from the Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment and they limited the Spitfire Mk V to 145 mph and by the time they got around to the Mk IX it had dropped to 140 mph. The Hotspur AP I have gives the Vne as 135 mph. The Canadians must have been confused by all this, they flew the Hotspur at 160mph.

19 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

The Miles Master, Whitley and Wellington are also mentioned in the pilot's notes as towplanes for the type

Well, Trumpeter do two Wellingtons in 1/48, a Mk i and a Mk III, so there you go!

That's all very interesting. The AP I consulted must be a different edition. It gives the maximum towing speed using the nose hook (it's lower for the other  hook) as 135 mph, and 150 mph as Vne, Of course we don't know what limiting factors are for the Hotspur that formed the basis for setting Vne. It varies from type to type, being usually based on what component breaks first, and factoring back from there.

Wing flutter is always a risk in high aspect ratio gliders. It's only speculation but I wonder if GAL set 150 mph for the Hotspur I, and saw no reason to increase it for the Hotspur II, which with its shorter wing would be inherently more resistant, but were subsequently asked to test to, and approve, an increased Vne to facilitate towing by higher speed aircraft?

Good luck with your flotilla plans. I might consider doing a 1/72 troika behind a Whitley or Wellington but in 1/48 the whole contingent would work out too big and too expensive for me. Perversely however I am giving thought to a 1/12 scale flying Audax and Hotspur I combo, as that kind of model doesn't have to be found shelf space when it's finished, just boxed up in the roof between flying expeditions.

Edited by Work In Progress

• 3 years later...

Fresh news - still in the pipe line.

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2020/10/info-o-pripravovanych-modelech-setech.html

(...) Podobně je připravován master resinového modelu GAL Hotspur 1/48. Bude novinkou v sérii Planet Models.  (...)

4-Hotspur.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - General Aircraft GAL-48 Hotspur Mk.II & GAL-48B Twin Hotspur Mk.I resin kits by Planet Models - parts - release April 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - General Aircraft GAL-48 Hotspur Mk.II & GAL-48B Twin Hotspur Mk.I resin kits by Planet Models - Hotspur Mk.II released
  • 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, OneEighthBit said:

Just ordered mine. Curious to take a closer look but that paint scheme sheet is already alarmingly incorrect. 🙄

I thought that too Jed.

I wonder what colour they've gone for for the interior? The rear fuselage at Wallop was Silver and the colour photos I've seen of the cockpit show the canopy frame to be silver also, whilst the black and white shots of the passenger cabin suggest that was unpainted/unvarnished wood. I'd put money on Interior Green being used sparingly as on the Horsa and Hamilcar.

Anyone close to Dumfries who can have a look inside the cockpit section in the museum?

On 6/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, Julien said:

What should the colours be then?

• The Dark Earth/Green is correct but they were never painted black on the underside. They photo they've used in reference they've misinterpreted the underside being in shadow.
  • The stripe on the centre fuselage is incorrect. I believe they've referenced one of the prototypes which has a slightly incorrect application but was rectified in the others. The fuselage stripes should be in line with the stripes on the wings. also the stripes aren't aligned with the port underside roundel which is the starting point.
  • No.1 Service Flying Training School is incorrect, it's Glider Pilots Exercise Unit (GPEU).
  • The tail skid on BT774 is incorrect.
  • There's some minor things with the cockpit details. Rudders slides rather than rudder bar, straight control stick rather than cranked with a spade grip.
  • The stencils I can't make out but aren't quite complete and at least one should be red, not black. I'll have to wait for mine to arrive before I can take a proper look at see what's what.
On 6/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, Aeronut said:

I thought that too Jed.

I wonder what colour they've gone for for the interior? The rear fuselage at Wallop was Silver and the colour photos I've seen of the cockpit show the canopy frame to be silver also, whilst the black and white shots of the passenger cabin suggest that was unpainted/unvarnished wood. I'd put money on Interior Green being used sparingly as on the Horsa and Hamilcar.

Anyone close to Dumfries who can have a look inside the cockpit section in the museum?

Hotspur interior was painted to the RAF spect, i.e. 1 coat of grey UP1 or UP2 universal primer and two coats of aluminium cellulose enamel DTD 63A.

The cockpit at Dumfries has a largely silver interior but has some parts painted cockpit green. I think these might have been done as later mods when the instrument panel was swapped in service to fit the Mk.III Cable Angle Indicator. When I last saw the cockpit in Aldershot it was obvious it had been re-painted but not to RAF spec and there's evidence it was originally painted overall trainer yellow which was post-war thing which could mean the glider originally came from 1 GTS at Croughton or the Empire Flying School at Hullavington.

Edited by OneEighthBit
  • Like 1

Thanks for a decent answer, I hate it on forums where people say things are incorrect and then dont go on to explain why for those of us who dont know the subject.

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

I hate to be pedantic but according to this photo of the aircraft depicted in the model, the B/Y stripes look pretty much spot on to me.

51233873108_3d833a1435_b.jpggal48-6 

Manufacturers have to run a gauntlet of armchair critics these days: it's difficult to get everything 100%, and for most, it won't make a jot of difference. I'd love to have space for one of these kits and I hope it sells well.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OneEighthBit said:

• The Dark Earth/Green is correct but they were never painted black on the underside. They photo they've used in reference they've misinterpreted the underside being in shadow.
  • The stripe on the centre fuselage is incorrect. I believe they've referenced one of the prototypes which has a slightly incorrect application but was rectified in the others. The fuselage stripes should be in line with the stripes on the wings. also the stripes aren't aligned with the port underside roundel which is the starting point.
  • No.1 Service Flying Training School is incorrect, it's Glider Pilots Exercise Unit (GPEU).
  • The tail skid on BT774 is incorrect.
  • There's some minor things with the cockpit details. Rudders slides rather than rudder bar, straight control stick rather than cranked with a spade grip.
  • The stencils I can't make out but aren't quite complete and at least one should be red, not black. I'll have to wait for mine to arrive before I can take a proper look at see what's what.

Hotspur interior was painted to the RAF spect, i.e. 1 coat of grey UP1 or UP2 universal primer and two coats of aluminium cellulose enamel DTD 63A.

The cockpit at Dumfries has a largely silver interior but has some parts painted cockpit green. I think these might have been done as later mods when the instrument panel was swapped in service to fit the Mk.III Cable Angle Indicator. When I last saw the cockpit in Aldershot it was obvious it had been re-painted but not to RAF spec and there's evidence it was originally painted overall trainer yellow which was post-war thing which could mean the glider originally came from 1 GTS at Croughton or the Empire Flying School at Hullavington.

Jed, Thanks for the confirmation on the interior silver/patchwork interior green even though I still can't convince myself that the crew compartment is that colour based on the photos I have. When it comes to the cockpit fittings things get complicated. The manufacturing drawing I have for the interim Mk I to Mk II shows a rudder bar yet the MK II AP illustration of the front cockpit shows rudder slides (of a different style) and a straight stick but the canopy is the original small one usually associated with the Mk I but also used on the early Mk II. When did the slides replace the rudder bar or is this simply a Mk I / Mk II issue and did the slides change during the life of the Mk II? The AP describes how the instrument and control fits changed between early and late Mk II and again for the Mk III.

I notice that whilst the kit is meant to be a Mk II the second 'V' lever for the flaps is provided yet that was a Mk III fit only, if the AP is to be believed (No complaints as it'll make building a Mk III easier).

All this proves that the Hotspur is a difficult aircraft for kit manufacturers and 'armchair critics' alike to research and get right.

On 6/8/2021 at 3:34 PM, keithjs said:

I hate to be pedantic but according to this photo of the aircraft depicted in the model, the B/Y stripes look pretty much spot on to me.

It's an optical illusion cause by the underside of the wings being almost flat and the the bottom of the fuselage being so curved. View straight on from the bottom the lines, well, line up.   Training gliders followed the RAF regs. for tug aircraft in terms of how the bottom was painted.

On 6/8/2021 at 5:00 PM, Sabrejet said:

Manufacturers have to run a gauntlet of armchair critics these days: it's difficult to get everything 100%, and for most, it won't make a jot of difference. I'd love to have space for one of these kits and I hope it sells well.

I wasn't meaning to be critical or unfair. I'm very excited for the kit and have been looking forward to it for ages. The Hotspur just happens to be an aircraft I'm very knowledgeable about.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:13 AM, Aeronut said:

Jed, Thanks for the confirmation on the interior silver/patchwork interior green even though I still can't convince myself that the crew compartment is that colour based on the photos I have. When it comes to the cockpit fittings things get complicated. The manufacturing drawing I have for the interim Mk I to Mk II shows a rudder bar yet the MK II AP illustration of the front cockpit shows rudder slides (of a different style) and a straight stick but the canopy is the original small one usually associated with the Mk I but also used on the early Mk II. When did the slides replace the rudder bar or is this simply a Mk I / Mk II issue and did the slides change during the life of the Mk II? The AP describes how the instrument and control fits changed between early and late Mk II and again for the Mk III.

I notice that whilst the kit is meant to be a Mk II the second 'V' lever for the flaps is provided yet that was a Mk III fit only, if the AP is to be believed (No complaints as it'll make building a Mk III easier).

All this proves that the Hotspur is a difficult aircraft for kit manufacturers and 'armchair critics' alike to research and get right.

I'd be curious which photo you're referring to for comparison. I don't have a clear colour cockpit photo but we know for a fact the internal cockpit framing was aluminium paint, when I compare the surrounding structure in the B&W photos I have, I notice that there is almost not difference in shade between the framing and the  other woodwork in the cockpit and it also has similar highlights which to me indicated a shiny/reflective surface. Likewise, all the interior shots I have are incredibly bright yet have no hard shadows which indicates it's not flash photography of the interior but just the natural light bouncing of the aluminium finish. The paint spec I got from the maintenance manual.

The Mk.I had the flat angled rudder slides at first and the metal ones were with the adjustable pegs were introduced as Mod. 2. The CLE recommended the switch to a rudder bar which was Mod. 45 and added to some early Mk.II and itappears in the AP around Dec. 1941 but it was withdrawn and marked as a deleted mod by July 1943.

Anyway, I have the kit now! I'm super impressed by the detail and moulding and the resin itself is very clean. The fuselage walls are very thick which somewhat scuppers my plan to do a full interior but so be it. Otherwise it's very good and I'm looking foward to putting it together with some minor modifications.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm going to have to eat humble pie here...

I did some digging and managed to find the reference picture they used for the black underside and it's actually correct, thought it shouldn't have any roundels.

Turns out that in late 1942/early 1943 a handful of Hotspurs at the Glider Pilot Exercise Unit had their undersides painted black many of them taking part in "Exercise Snaffle". Even the Miles Master GT II tugs had their undersides painted black. I can't find an official "scheme" for this and it's either a unit level modification/experiment or possibly an interpretation of AMO A.664/42.

In my defence, the few colour photos of the gliders are angled such that I had assumed the undersides where in shadow hence why they appeared black. The black and white photos I had mistakenly thought were taken with Orthochromatic film which makes yellow look black. It was only when I looked closed I realised this wasn't the case and that the underwing roundels had been overpainted too.

So just goes to show you never stop learning. Planet really managed to choose a pretty rare second scheme.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

probably current topic is not the best place to ask but I will try )

Regarding this model, what about color of letter for "L".

Famous Hotspur glider from Frog proposed yellow (trainer yellow) letter (re-packing of this modle by Eastern Express proposed yellow N too),

Planet Models has white colour and also same color was proposed in the Blackbird Models decal sheet.

But usual colours for RAF airplane codes were Sky, Dull Red and Grey. Yellow and white  can be met in very special cases.

This discrepancy confuses me a little.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2021 at 7:24 PM, Konstantin said:

probably current topic is not the best place to ask but I will try )

Regarding this model, what about color of letter for "L".

Famous Hotspur glider from Frog proposed yellow (trainer yellow) letter (re-packing of this modle by Eastern Express proposed yellow N too),

Planet Models has white colour and also same color was proposed in the Blackbird Models decal sheet.

But usual colours for RAF airplane codes were Sky, Dull Red and Grey. Yellow and white  can be met in very special cases.

This discrepancy confuses me a little.

Yeah this is getting off topic but to answer your question - it depends.

In short there is a distinction between Operational, Operational Training and Non-Operational Training gliders. The Hotspur by definition was a non-operational training glider for most of it's service life except for a short period with the Glider OTUs/GPEU until the Horsa came into service and the units were re-organised into Glider Training Schools and Heavy Glider Conversion Units under Flying Training Command.

RAF standards state the Operational/Operational Training gliders follow the same colour scheme as night bombers - so in that case dull red code letters. We have colour photographic evidence of Hotspurs at OTU/GPEU following this scheme (as the the scheme in the kit). As for the non-operational glider types, the AMOs in 1941 don't give any specification for aircraft identification code colours and all preceding updates to the AMOs only refer to Operational and HCGU aircraft. It's not until until '44 they specifically mention training gliders and state they should be red - but I believe again, that this is for HCGU trainers as I can't find any empirical evidence of GTS gliders bearing this colour.

However, we do have quite a few colour Hotspur glider colour photos and the evidence is that the different GTS's used different colours and positions for their numbers and letters which helps with identification of the unit.

No.1 GTS - B&W Photos appear to show White or Sky numbers and letters in use on the rear fuselage. Colour photos after the move to RAF Croughton show white numbers painted on the nose, in some cases over a sky-blue letter. Also tip of nose is red with a lighter blue ring behind.

No. 2 GTS - No colour photos but in black and white photos the shade of the letter matches the yellow ring of the roundel so assume yellow letters on nose during 1942.
No. 3 GTS - No colour photos but in black and white photos the shade of the numbers matches the shade of the white in the roundel and is lighter than the yellow just below on the undersurface so assume white. Some gliders, especially night flight, have tip of nose painted what could be yellow or white.
No.4 GTS - Colour photos show yellow numbers on nose in October 1942. Also some gliders have a round circle of undetermined colour painted both sides of the nose ahead of the number.
No.5 GTS - No colour photos but black and white photos show incredible bright fuselage numbers after of roundel matching the shade of the white in the roundel and tail fin. Assume white.