1/8 cobra 427

15027429_1316032418427840_58525238351840

i did this one last year , for a freind ,  as a gift ,, but he than sold it on a week later  ( what a freind  hey ?? )

so now i decided to  do one for myself , and even make it better  than before

the body is 3d printed , but that is all the rest i scratchbuild , or resin cast myself , 

IMG_20161110_123630_zpshkxhdoms.jpg

this 3d print stuff ( sls )  needs a few  propper coats of filler to be able to sand it smooth

Foto2557_zpsz1jtvx1l.jpg

and after sanding , an sanding , and sanding  , and a coat of white , it is smooth

Foto2576_zpso5cuszeo.jpg

Foto2985_zps672wkcp2.jpg

than some masking and  a few coats of color , ( pearl blue  with silver striping )  it looks like this ,   ( still needs clear !! )

Foto2671_zpsseqeqi5e.jpg

seats are cast from resin

and will be covered in leather  later on

Foto2352_zpsuyydjeid.jpg

wheels cast in resin ,   the wheels will be modified , and will get aluminium inserts , as rims , the center will still be resin , just as the spinners

Foto2369_zpsojajk7l9.jpg

Foto2996_zpsyd3ibhah.jpg

more to follow , when i progress a bit more

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok here is an update , 

first of all i sold the other set of wheels  so i had to make some new ones , ,, i changed the rim a bit , as i like this a lot better

Foto3179_zps5djhoyqe.jpg

Foto3175_zpsazj0oebp.jpg

the wheels also got the spinner setup so i could if i wanted to take off the wheels  when the car is ready , to see the brake disks ( not that important but nice anyway , and fun to make )

Foto3177_zpslc97idye.jpg

Foto3176_zps6uqgwila.jpg

the interiour got leather and felt  put in , as carpet and upholstery

and i have started to find together the dashbord  as it's made of several layers , back panel , / decals/ clear plastic / front plate / leather , details like switches , lights , gauge rings and so on ,

Foto3173_zpssbmr2psk.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

A friend of mine is building a replica of this iconic car. Based on Jaguar XJ-S running gear, powered by a mildly tuned Rover 3.5 V-8 (about 220 BHP). 

Have been promised a ride in in  when finished. Looking forward to that!

Cheers, Alan.

50 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

That is one badass Cobra @Codger... but what happens when you hit a bump in the road? Are your "shocks" solid? 😜

best,

M.

3/38" under the chin scoop; 4 1/2 under the oil pan - all is well......😎

3 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

That is one badass Cobra @Codger... but what happens when you hit a bump in the road? Are your "shocks" solid? 😜

best,

M.

Not at all really. 350 pound ft springs and Konis (change to 550 for track) and 500 pound rears (4) in Series II Jag IRS.

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

.. I guess there's more room under those  fender flares than it looks in the picture, then! Nice idea with the Jag suspension set-up...

best,

M.

To be clear; mine is an ERA replica. Exact body/engine/trans. Bespoke ERA chassis and front suspension  and Jag rear.

Modelers should take care (as our friend Broadspeed probably has) to build from original Shelby cars as all replicas except Kirkham employ their own parts or donor car bits. Except for the cockpit, mine is loaded with race parts and original pin drive magnesium Halibrand wheels. Pictures explain more easily:

P5150013.jpg

P5150011.jpg

Hope the reference is useful.

C

Edited by Codger
  • Like 1

yes i am a shelby NUT  trying to stick to the original  as much as i can ,  

working on a 1/8 scale daytona coupe now , based on the original chassis drawings , and loads of detailed pictures of the 6 original ones

zbrj5.jpg

2ihtq82.jpg

2ewpmb9.jpg

• Like 3

i had the wheels specialy drawn up for me , ( before i got the hang of 3d drawing )

from the "original" wheel measurements  that i had from trigo

ejwwh3.jpg

2enbzi1.jpg

btw these are 1/4 scale for i 1/4 scale daytona i have 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broadspeed said:

i had the wheels specialy drawn up for me , ( before i got the hang of 3d drawing )

from the "original" wheel measurements  that i had from trigo

ejwwh3.jpg

btw these are 1/4 scale for i 1/4 scale daytona i have 

Beautifully done as is the Coupe. Remember they all have different rooflines.

The Trigos were very well done aluminum replicas, these of the FIA wheel. A tip to spot replica wheels is that most all have the valve stems inside the webs. And are ally of course. Here's mine wearing a friends Phil Schmidt FIA wheels, also excellent. They have been media blasted to mimic magnesium.

Picture-019mod-II.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Codger said:

Alan, Care for a ride in one with 330 MORE HP?

Hi Codger,

My friend took a ride in one that the makers of his kit built with a 700BHP engine. (So, similar to yours)

He said it was terrifying...

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...