1/72 Airfix R.A.F. BE2c

This is a really nice kit which goes together very easily for such a spindly biplane.  I borrowed some techniques that I've seen on the forums to replicate the translucent nature of the clear-doped wings and I'm happy with how that turned out.  

Markings are for a 16 Squadron machine which carried the legend "St. Catherines Ontario" on the forward fuselage.  I made decals for that and the tail code on my laser printer, the roundels are from the kit.

I rigged the control runs with EZ-Line and the rest of the rigging was done with Nitinol wire.  I kept track of how much went into it this time and was amazed to find that I fully used 55" of wire!

Airfix%20BE2c%201_zpsqpmkgxd8.jpg

Airfix%20BE2c%202_zpsvhkgsmrg.jpg

Airfix%20BE2c%204_zpsgcaeevwh.jpg

Airfix%20BE2c%205_zpsenguexnz.jpg

Airfix%20BE2c%206_zpskugcbwhb.jpg

Hope you like the old bus!

-Dan

• Like 46

16 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Got to have a go at a biplane sometime, its just the rigging that puts me off.

Superb job.

If you can drill small holes and thread fishing line through them, you can do rigging! I'll be showing a step-by-step of my methods on my Muromets and Sopwith Triplane threads if you need any guidance.

Ian

• Like 2

Incredible work in such a small kit! Rigging is outstanding, I'm also have rig-o-phobia, but would love to build the Turnhouse based aircraft from the box, I may need to try and overcome my fears!

Can you possibly point me in the direction of where I can source such fine wire?

Beautiful work,

Eng

23 minutes ago, eng said:

Incredible work in such a small kit! Rigging is outstanding, I'm also have rig-o-phobia, but would love to build the Turnhouse based aircraft from the box, I may need to try and overcome my fears!

Can you possibly point me in the direction of where I can source such fine wire?

Beautiful work,

Eng

I buy .005". nitinol wire from Amazon.com here in the states.  It is cheapest when bought in 72" lengths which ships in a long, heavy cardboard tube so that may not be very cost-effective for you.

Ian's method using drilled holes and fishing line or invisible thread also works well.  I used to do it that way but found I liked nitinol wire better and there are no holes to drill.

-Dan

• Like 3

Like it?........ I love it, what a beautiful job you`ve made of this tiny little treasure,..... so envious of your rigging skill too,

Cheers

Tony

That's a really lovely build, you've made a great job of the translucent wings, very convincing.  I'm very impressed with your rigging skills, too.  It was rigging that put me off building biplanes, I was building in 1/48, so I can't imagine how it is rigging in 1/72.  Superb!