I'm calling this one done.

It's the now aging Trumpeter 1/350 kit #05302. The kit does need a bit of work but it's the only game in town for Britain's favourite warship and is therefore worth the effort. The turrets were replaced with Flyhawk HMS Hood Super Upgrade Set FH350099 which also came with range finders, UP launchers, blast bags and search light platforms. I started off detailing it with Flyhawk 350098 which whilst nice where it's nice, is also lacking in many ways in terms of the parts themselves. The instructions were poor by current standards. Happily White Ensign Models found a new owner before I got too far in so set PE3514 for HMS Hood was also used instead of Flyhawk in most areas, although the Flyhawk Pom Poms were nicer with turned barrels etc. The Vickers quad 0.5in guns on Hood were represented with 2-dimensional photo etching by both White Ensign and Flyhawk, and the plastic kit parts are vaguely shaped blobs. Happily, I met Park Yong-Joo who owns Tetra Modelworks at Telford last year and was so impressed with his little Vickers gun sets SA-35010 complete with turned barrels for the full 3-dimensional look that I left with some in my pocket as trade samples which are now fitted to Hood  (I had to check the quality :smile:). The wooden deck is Pontos Model 35020WD1 which as usual comes with anchor chain and dry transfer draft markings. The rigging is all made from Infini Model Super Fine Black Lycra Rigging (40 denier - or 0.068mm diameter) with the exception of the main crane which I ruined the PE cables for and used the 110denier version of the Infini Line to re-rig instead. All paints are (I'd hope obviously!) Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats enamels. The primary shades used are RN02 - 507B, RN19 - WW2 RN Anti-fouling red although this was heavily distressed for a weathered look rather than a builder's model, RN24 - Corticene, RN01 - 507A, C02 - Matt Black, C03 - Matt White.

20170408_133616_zpscpyqkjlo.jpg

20170408_133638_zpsnmrkdr6r.jpg

20170408_133723_zpslaad5nf2.jpg

20170408_133744_zpsdddymhj5.jpg

20170408_134925_zpsckw2ubjd.jpg

20170408_134946_zpsimwlqsi3.jpg

20170408_135002_zpsdz0liuj8.jpg

20170402_203037_zps1mvod2vo.jpg

20170402_203104_zpsqgg9gj1k.jpg

• Like 42

That's simply stunning.

Beautiful work on the rigging, the photographs look as if they are of the real ship.

The extra detail everywhere just looks marvellous.

Truly one to be proud of.

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I suspect some helpful camera angles and lighting is at play here. A problem I'm finding with trying to photograph ship models is depth of field, something that overwhelms the best of phone cameras. I think I'd need a relatively long lens on a good camera and tripod to photograph it from some distance with zoom to get a better result. Any thoughts?

Stunning build Jamie, I too am looking forward to seeing her at Perth when I visit you to pick up my order and some other supplies, no doubt! :thumbsup:

Brian

• Like 1

What they all said! She looks splendid! :goodjob:

Can't offer any advice on taking photos, but to my eye having some areas slightly out of focus does increase the perception of size of the ship.

Great work!

Geoff 

Thank you every one who has taken the time to comment. You are all very kind but I insist that this build is really nothing special when viewed up close and having seen the produce of many commenters am confident that most of you would do significantly better were you so inclined!

I am particularly humbled that Maurice Northcott has looked in on here :) Thank you!

• Like 1

On 10 April 2017 at 9:26 AM, SovereignHobbies said:

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I suspect some helpful camera angles and lighting is at play here. A problem I'm finding with trying to photograph ship models is depth of field, something that overwhelms the best of phone cameras. I think I'd need a relatively long lens on a good camera and tripod to photograph it from some distance with zoom to get a better result. Any thoughts?

What a great looking ship, beautifully recreated, got one in the stash to look forward to.

On the pics I've had the same problem but found natural daylight and a DSLR with max f stop setting allows sharp focus for the full length of 1/350 ships.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1