Polikarpov I-16 type 5, SCW, A-model 1/72

Hi,

Having some problems with finishing my triple build of Polikarpovs R-5/R-Z project (it is in thread in WIP),

I decided to do "on side" a fast cost construction of some smaller kits. This is Polikarpov I-16, early type 5 variant by A-model in 1/72. However it was not a fast construction because the kit was not shake and bake one. Especially the fit of wings was problematic, also there is also a mistake in U/c which I corrected.  In book by M.Maslov on aces of I-15, I-152, I-153 and I-16 published by Osprey there is a photo of this machine with terrible story on the Vladimir Bocharov, a Russian pilot of her (story is in description of photo below)

i-16

It is surprising, that lost of the machine (and pilot) was during very first action and the machine on photo has rather worn como. 

So here is my model:

i-16 DSC04882i-16 DSC04885i-16 DSC04891i-16 DSC04892i-16 DSC04893

And here is new I-16 type 5 along  my very old I-16 type-10 by Revell, which I did... 42 years ago, in 1975! The scheme is from some Murmansk area squadron from 1942 (please not that there is only 33 years between 1942 and 1975 compared to 42 since I did the model !!!) 

Now I just wash it from dust and refreshed by new coat of Valejo matt varnish:

i-16 DSC04888

Comments welcome

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 11

Well done J-W. I know this kit very, very well...

So many times I have started it. It is good to see that someone has finished it and done a nice job :).

I got a bit bogged down with wing ribs; for an early type 5 I was led to believe there should be just 10 visible on the top of the wings, but the kit has 20, with 10 below.

It's something I think I stopped worrying about, given other challenges like the big gaps that can occur at wing roots, other stuff.

Youve done really well; it's a challenging little build. 

How did you modify the undercarriage J-W?

I'm interested; I know the kit one is quite thick and it looks like you've thinned the doors more to scale.

Your 42 years old Revell still looks ready for battle :D!

Very nice to see these, both complete and nicely weathered.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks GerrardAndrews and Tony T.,

Tony - indeed I thinned only a bit door. Seems you are right with ribs, I have not  noticed it. That is a pity. Regarding u/c: The support struts are made in model not correctly. There are two supporting struts in each leg. One shoud go stright to the back, one goes a bit to outer side. You cannot do this properly with parts given in model.  The strut which should go (but it desn't in kit) directly back I cut out and I did it from a thin sprue. The small wheel bay door is attached to it. Perhaps you have UTI_4 by a-model  or ICM i-16. They heve it done correctly. Even Revell has it OK.  Here is photo which shows some details:

photo_ru_i-16_3.jpg

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

Thanks J-W :).

That's a fantastic photograph too. I have the UTI-4 kit by Amodel; I'll look at the parts in there, try to copy them for the I-16.

It is one of my favourite aircraft. 

I can see now that the third picture of your model shows your undercarriage very well , very nicely done :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!!

And here I am watching another nice build from your nice "Small  Aircraft Factory"!!!

i have read the story of this machine and the bad end of its pilot...I have bought a book looking for some other reference for  some facts in the SCW,  and after reading Peter Wyden's book " The Passionate War, The Narrative History of the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939", book published by Simon and Schuster;  all that atrocities and cruelty were common to both sides in conflict ...its sad to know how they played with human life that way.

Well, have watched your nice build and enjoyed it, every detail and the way you have finished, very precise and with that subtle weathering, have to look about what to do with my Old Revell kit as it seems so very different wing planform with the A-Model, so, have to elect between two ways: (1) Build her as she comes or (2) Buy another one to build and collect this one...maybe as this one is not an aircraft of my favourites to repeat again and again could elect (1) as seem not so many volunteers to buy my current kit...or bought another one and build the two as you did. ;) 

Thank you very much for sharing and will have to watch the Natasha you posted as think this one need many more time to enjoy.

the process.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Many thanks Luis Alfonso for your comment. I admire your enthusiasm for modelling :)

Indeed, the difference in wing shape among I-16 kits is very large. I never have Hasegawa kit of it, it had more or less correct shape I think.

Have a nice time with your Revell "Ishak" (Rata, Mosca)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1