MiG-29SMT AKAN paints... accurate?

Phantome

Hi all,

I've been building the 1/72 Trumpeter MiG-29SMT and a while back bought the AKAN paint set for the splinter camo scheme. However, halfway through the painting process my question is... are these paints accurate at all? So far I've found AKAN to be extremely accurate and a pleasure to spray but the -29SMT paints look NOTHING like the real thing.

First of all, it's a bit confusing that there are two sets, A and B despite the fact that at least to these eyes all SMTs have the same camo. Indeed the sets are identical except that one has Green Grey (73093) which is the classic Fulcrum color (which to me is the most accurate of any in acrylic of this hard-to-replicate color), while the other has a Dark Grey (73061) which appears to be accurate for the darker camo color. The problem to me is that the lighter colors don't seem to be a match for the real thing. The light grey on the real thing is definitely not an off white which makes me wonder why this color is included at all. Meanwhile, both the Light Grey (73051) and the Grey (73151) in this set have a beige-ish tint. AKAN does not specify which colors to use on the splinter camo.

I have painted my aircrat Light Grey (73051) all around but not convinced since the pics show a more neutral grey. I have then done the rest as Green Grey (73093) but the contrast with the light grey is too much. This means the third, darker, splinter color will be very dark indeed.

Anyone have any solution to this? Have AKAN botched the -29SMT colors?

Edited by Phantome

A little bit history here:

SMKs were built following the Algerian order back in 2006 but it was cancelled in 2008 because Russians tried to sell planes which were built back in cold war days :) They were just upgraded to Mig-29SMT version. These aircraft then were brought by Russia and become part of RuAF.

So these planes have been painted three times in last 10 year. 

1) Algerian colors:

MIG-29_SMT_FC-14_3017_ARGELINO_1.jpg

2) 1st Russian colors: Green tones.

mig-29smt_06.jpg

apa_mig-29_smt_1024.jpg

3) Current Russian colors: More gray tones.

128009.jpg

So, I do not have AKAN colors but you be the judge they may have picked one of these color sets....

Enjoy!! :D

Edited by foxmulder
  • Like 1

Nice reference, thanks for posting! Th AKAN set may reference the initial Russian scheme. 

I do hope Zvezda's SMT comes with Algerian markings, they look scrumptious. 

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook

Indeed, maybe they are closer to the original green splinter scheme. I still find it strange why the colors are still the same in the other set except for exchanging the grey-green with the dark gray (the only color that does appear accurate).

The last pic is interesting because it does show a very very light grey, more like an off white even. Most other pictures show that color clearly grey. The medium camo color still does not look nothing like any of the paints in the set though. I have found that mixing the dark grey and the light grey in a 1:10 ratio produces a very good approximation of that color.

7 hours ago, Phantome said:

The last pic is interesting because it does show a very very light grey, more like an off white even.

Indeed - I'm thinking of using FS36495 for that shade. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

There are two (2) 9-19 sets made by Akan. I bought the correct one and although it did not seem correct at first, I found them to be spot on for these colors:

airforce_ru_mig-29smt_004.jpg

The lighting may make it seem too bright, but when you look at the other photos from the expose on airforce.ru they turned out very well. (AKAN #47345) MiG-29SMT (Type 9-19) camouflage scheme variant 1 (73010+73051+73060+73093+73101+73151)

Edited by Blue_Centurion
Addition

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I´m planning the colours for my Mig-29 SMT (not the greenish colours).

I see that 36495 seems to be Ok for the light grey.

But what did you use for the other two colours?

What do you think about these:

Medium grey: Gunze C332 - Light Grey BS381/627 or Gunze C308 Light Ghost Grey FS 36375

Dark grey: Gunze C331 - Dark Sea Grey BS381/638

Thanks