Back from the Dead- The High And Mighty One has Arisen! Sanger 1/48 NB-52A Balls 003 with Special Hobby X-15-1

I was worried as well because the email address I first used I no longer had I wouldn't get notified when it was ready and would lose my chance.Like I said I would recommend trying again. Email from his site through the contact us with questions section.

It does have a canopy for both the Flight deck and the rear gunners compartment the flight deck canopy is a big one piece that you could either cut the windows out separately or as I think I'll do paint the frames on and attach the whole piece. The fligt deck is simple which is usual for vacs.you get a set of white metal ejection seats control columns and plastic film piece of the instrument panel.

• 2 weeks later...

:yahoo: A B-52 kit has landed at my house today! Patience and perseverance were keys to securing one in the end. Wow, there's be several years of modelling work in that one if you want it to be built to a high standard. But I'm looking forward to that!

Cheers

Jeffrey

• Like 1

Congratulations!!! Now I have someone I can compare notes with. We may have to form our own Bomber Wing,or if one more person acquire one of these beauties at least a bombing cell.I've started the process of sanding all this lovely acreage of plastic. This is really going to be a fun build.

- Anything less than Right, isn't Right.-

Maj.Rubin Fleet- CEO Consolidated Aircraft

Edited by LorenSharp
additional INformation

Say JefferyK, Have you decided which version to build? You had mentioned doing the NB-52A.

Anything less than right, isn't right.

Maj. Rubin Fleet CEO Consolidated Aircraft

Actually I don't think it will be as heavy as I first imagined. Won't have to use nose weights to keep it level sitting on the ground. Just not sure how much bondo it will take.I'm gonna guesstimate weighing in around a kilo, maybe kilo and a half when finished.

-Anything less than right, isn't right.-

The last time I built a B-52 was the old 1/72 Monogram kit back in 1968. Complete with "real engine sound". I found an old sound making unit from the kit a few years ago. Actually considering re designing the casing to look like a Mk53 Nuclear Bomb. hide the switch in the bomb bay and use the wiring to the switch and battery box to simulate the cables. with that cavernous interior it should resonate very well.. Have to remember witch box I put it in when it went into storage with the rest of my stuff.

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Say JefferyK, Have you decided which version to build? You had mentioned doing the NB-52A.

Anything less than right, isn't right.

Absolutely, it's all about the X-15 - the NB-52A is basically going to be the backdrop for a pre-flight scene of X-15-3 (66672, "Little Joe II") suspended on the pylon of Balls 3 in preparation for Joe Walker's altitude record setting flight.

But before that happens, I have to build a larger house. Seriously, it will happen! Not entirely sure yet how I'm going to display the finished article, but I'll work something out. It will definitely not be suspended from the ceiling though.

Cheers

Jeffrey

That sounds outstanding. With the historical aspect, a static display is the only logical way to go. If I can be of any help let me know,except for building a larger house ;-} For me hanging display is my only alternative. I would prefer to have it lined up next to the B-1A and B and B-47. Kinda like pretty maidens all in a row. Ah well. back to scraping, sanding and identifying where all the proper panel lines are going to go. One thing for certain. I will probably have to take stock in Alcad II. Not doing camo.This will be a late 50's SAC bird.

--Anything less than right, isn't right.-

Edited by LorenSharp
Additional information.

Jeffery, Don't know if this will help. but there is a book out on the NB-52B "Balls Eight" by Brian Lockett Lot of good Color photos 196 pages. ISBN # 978057803005. Bit pricey, but what isn't when trying to be accurate. Have a good evening.

--Anything less than right, isn't right.-

...thanks, even though for Balls 8, it looks like a must-have for my project. I've got pretty much all available literature on the X-15 which includes a fair bit on the motherships as well.

This is certainly a long-term project. As much as I like and apply NMF finishes, I'm quite glad that Balls 3 around the time I'm going to model it was painted aluminium, not NMF. Handling a project of that size with delicate NMF would be quite a challenge!

On 4/12/2017 at 10:14 AM, LorenSharp said:

Now the fun begins... As saying goes, "Welcome back my Friends to the show that never ends, Come inside, Come inside.I separated the main parts from their respective plastic sheets and in a fit of pure craziness temporarily taped them together to get a sense of the size of this beast. In other 

words what have I gotten myself into....observe.

20170412_104249_zpsd9ruhlkl.jpg

20170412_104301_zpsvw96ws5y.jpg

Even siting on the bed, which at the moment is the only place big enough to see it in toto its hard to grasp the enormity of The BUFF. I set a 1/48 F-22 next to it to better understand the size.

Are there fit problems? Some, but not as bad as I've had in the past. I still wake up with night sweats building a Combat Models XB-35. Its still in pieces and partial construction in storage. At least the panel lines line up and thats a plus.I'll have a better idea once I get all  the plastic trimmed down and thinned. The trick will be to break construction down into little bits, the combine the lot. Right now I'll start with the landing gear just to be different.

I know what you mean about the XB-35! I was expecting the top and bottom to be full span, as it is now a ton of work ahead. I may build a full balsa structure like a Guillows kit to act as an armature for the vac parts seeing as they give you full size plans! (That and the plastic is super thin compared to Sanger's making things harder!)  I just got my BUFF today and posted a review on iModeler. If you check out my pics you'll see that you are missing your turbine faces and from your pics I see that I'm missing my wheel centers. You plan to make the wings removable? I really like how he set the joint up on this compared to the B-47!

Edited by OshkoshJosh

Hi Josh,

I would recommend bracing the XB-35 with spars the full length.as you mentioned. because of the thinness of the plastic. Otherwise it will sag.I'm doing the same here ,and like Darius did with the B-47 add the flaps extended ,the spoilers deployed and a full bomb bay. One thing I'm adding is the old "real engine sound" noise maker from the original Monogram B-52 I built as a kid when it first came out. this time though I redesigning it to look like a Mk53 Nuclear weapon. I can hear the purists now 'Grins". But I am an old fart and just crazy enough to do something straight from left field. There, I said it and damn proud of it.! ;-} But seriously glad to know there is another BUff out there being built. Now there are three. that make a Cell. Should try  for a bombing wing next. I took a gander at your review on iModeller I thought there should have been exhaust turbines but no matter I was going to make them from scratch anyway.

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

Hi Josh,

I would recommend bracing the XB-35 with spars the full length.as you mentioned. because of the thinness of the plastic. Otherwise it will sag.I'm doing the same here ,and like Darius did with the B-47 add the flaps extended ,the spoilers deployed and a full bomb bay. One thing I'm adding is the old "real engine sound" noise maker from the original Monogram B-52 I built as a kid when it first came out. this time though I redesigning it to look like a Mk53 Nuclear weapon. I can hear the purists now 'Grins". But I am an old fart and just crazy enough to do something straight from left field. There, I said it and damn proud of it.! ;-} But seriously glad to know there is another BUff out there being built. Now there are three. that make a Cell. Should try  for a bombing wing next. I took a gander at your review on iModeller I thought there should have been exhaust turbines but no matter I was going to make them from scratch anyway.

I'm sure if we hit Gerald up with an email he'll set us straight with the parts. I thought I was missing my wheel centers as they were listed in the parts breakdown on his site. Is it just me or does the nose have an odd shape to it? Almost a little C-5-ish? Maybe it's the scale and the fact that my parts are still on the sheet.

I'm sure Gerald would replace any missing parts if asked. Any time I had  a problem he always went the extra mile to assist. I wasn't too concerned about the rear engine fans as I had decided to fabricate my own. The nose is  different I think because the fuselage has to cover so many variants. There is a blunter nose for the A- F versions on the sheet near the fuselage. Since I decided to make B model the wheel hubs are different than later versions. They.are very similar to the B-47's front gear.  I wished I hadn't already built the 47. I  would use the front metal hub to make  copy to modify . But it's sitting in a box in storage at present it would be a major undertaking to retrieve.  It was  bad enough to locate my toolbox and paints for this ,not to mention dangerous wading through all my stuff. I am giving serious consideration to getting a 3d  printer make masters  some of the fiddler bits and then resin casts from those.

I will do some CAD/3D print/resin casting work for various parts when I eventually get to doing mine, wheels are one thing. I'll use or rework some parts of my Skywarrior engine sets (J57 powered as well) such as exhaust and intakes, I wonder how compatible they are in terms of actual size of the parts.

I'm not sure yet how much work I should spend on the seats and flight deck. The wheel wells will definitely be a bit of a handful though, so much linkage, plumbing and cabling in there...

And then there are the X-15 pylon and all the mothership associated parts.

Cheers

J

• LorenSharp changed the title to Sanger NB-52A
  • LorenSharp changed the title to Back from the Dead- The High And Mighty One has Arisen! Sanger 1/48 NB-52A Balls 003 with Special Hobby X-15-1