Back from the Dead- The High And Mighty One has Arisen! Sanger 1/48 NB-52A Balls 003 with Special Hobby X-15-1

Well might as well jump right in to the fray. I managed to snag one of Gerald Elliott's B-52s. It is a beast and a half. Its not a bad set up but you definitely need some serious acreage to hang from the ceiling or even build on the bench. Here are a few images of the pieces. I have a few more research items to locate, mainly interior of the wing spoilers.

That's certainly an ambitious first post! I wish you all the best with it. I can't help thinking that such a large aircraft without windows is odd choice for 1:48. There will be acres of plastic between each interestingly fiddly bit. The painting of those acres will be the thing, and good luck with that. Keep drinking the Guinness!

Now the fun begins... As saying goes, "Welcome back my Friends to the show that never ends, Come inside, Come inside.I separated the main parts from their respective plastic sheets and in a fit of pure craziness temporarily taped them together to get a sense of the size of this beast. In other 

words what have I gotten myself into....observe.

51205093346_c403f490aa_c.jpg

51205300403_897240e605_c.jpg

Even siting on the bed, which at the moment is the only place big enough to see it in toto its hard to grasp the enormity of The BUFF. I set a 1/48 F-22 next to it to better understand the size.

Are there fit problems? Some, but not as bad as I've had in the past. I still wake up with night sweats building a Combat Models XB-35. Its still in pieces and partial construction in storage. At least the panel lines line up and thats a plus.I'll have a better idea once I get all  the plastic trimmed down and thinned. The trick will be to break construction down into little bits, the combine the lot. Right now I'll start with the landing gear just to be different.

• Like 5

Hi,

great stuff, very nice to see actual pictures of the parts as well! Is there a canopy of some sort included? And any cockpit interior?

Can I ask you HOW exactly you managed to buy one of these? I've been in touch with Gerald about this kit for over ten years, constantly re-iterating my firm intention of buying one, but every since it is actually released, I've been trying in vain over five or more emails and messages via his website. No reply.

I'm getting a bit desperate as production numbers will be so limited...

The last time I built  a B-52 was when Monogram first came out with their 1/72 in '68. I am tempted to recreate it again as D model in SAC livery. Anti flash White Bottom and varied Alclad metal. Decals would probably have to be changed. I got 93rd BW "B" model in the shipment. I'll see what I have to create. When I first ordered I wanted the NB-52A version to go with an X-15 in my stash, but I was the only person to inquire about that version and to get one would have been cost prohibitive because of lack of interest. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

The last time I built  a B-52 was when Monogram first came out with their 1/72 in '68. I am tempted to recreate it again as D model in SAC livery. Anti flash White Bottom and varied Alclad metal. Decals would probably have to be changed. I got 93rd BW "B" model in the shipment. I'll see what I have to create. When I first ordered I wanted the NB-52A version to go with an X-15 in my stash, but I was the only person to inquire about that version and to get one would have been cost prohibitive because of lack of interest. Oh well.

Seems like Gerald is wilfully ignoring me!?! From the very first time I contacted him (as I said, more than ten years ago) I said I wanted the NB-52A version, and have repeated this many times since.

So you're definitely NOT the only one wanting the NB-52A and I know of at least one other person.

Do you have perhaps have a phone number for Sanger/Gerald?

Jeffrey

I just emailed Gerald From the web site. I know he'd had just gotten out of hospital and it was a week before I got an initial response. Then a couple of weeks to get an invoice. It's not cheap cost before shipping was 128.00 GPB. It can only be delivered to a physical address. He is filling orders in batches because of volume. I would try and contact him again.

Gerald doesn't strike me as the type to willfully ignore. He did tell me that in the process of updating his computer he lost all of his emails and contact information. and that also slowed down his release.