Spitfire I, P9495, DW-K, 610 squadron RAF

P9495 took it's first flight on 15th April 1940, issued to 610 (County of Chester) Suadron RAF and was struck off charge on 24th August 1940 after being damaged by Bf-109s near Dover on 12th August 1940.

I've made dozens of the most recent boxing of the Airfix Spitfire I but never using the decals in the box. Here's my attempt, out-of-the-box, apart from the rudder actuator and aerial (both made from stretched sprue), cockpit armour from plastic card and, a piece of clear plastic for the gunsight glass (which you can't see anyway), brush-painted with Colourcoats and Humbrol enamels, weathered with gouache and, a Windsor & Newton matt coat.

Should you care to look, WiP is here: 

The photographs were taken with my phone so aren't the greatest.

20170406_170740

20170406_170748

20170406_170752

20170406_170800

20170406_170812

20170406_170820

20170406_170831

20170406_170836

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to insert photos.
  • Like 29

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's looking great in its 'original' markings Simon. Come to think of it, I don't think I've built this one in the kit markings either.

Thanks Cookie. Perhaps you should do one when you've finished your current extravaganza.

• Like 1

Lovely Spit.

I was put off using these codes because although they're large on the real thing Airfix have made them a little too big so that they don't look quite right. At least that's my interpretation from looking at the photos...

Anyway, brilliant little model.

• Like 1

Nice job Simon B)

I've never built one in the kit markings either; I appreciate this will say something about me that I probably wouldn't freely admit, but it slightly irritates me that they didn't paint the codes level with the horizontal centre line of the aircraft :blush:

Still, yours came out a cracker, good work mate :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

very nice honest model 😊

Thanks.

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice one Simon - The extra little bits make all the difference, good job :) 

Thanks Ced. If I'd only done a better job with those yellow bits on the propeller blades.

11 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Good Spitfire! Those drooping elevators give that nice touch of realism (and proof of a modeller having done his homework…).

Very creditable modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you (although I'm a little upset that you've suggested I've done homework... I'm not a swot. 😀)

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Always nice to see a well built Spitfire:goodjob:

Thank you (although I'm tempted to ask where. 😃)

9 hours ago, IanC said:

Lovely Spit.

I was put off using these codes because although they're large on the real thing Airfix have made them a little too big so that they don't look quite right. At least that's my interpretation from looking at the photos...

Anyway, brilliant little model.

Thank you and I agree about the codes, they do seem to be too large.

34 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job Simon B)

I've never built one in the kit markings either; I appreciate this will say something about me that I probably wouldn't freely admit, but it slightly irritates me that they didn't paint the codes level with the horizontal centre line of the aircraft :blush:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. I think you must build one in the kit markings and what you've written about the codes does say something about you, just as me seeing the same thing and not caring says something about me.😃

• Like 1

Great little build :)

The Airfix Spitfire Mk.I in 1:72 is a joy to build and after the paint is on, the deep panel lines look good ( to me ).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job Simon B)

Cheers,

Stew

I think I'd have blown a gasket were I the CO and saw that being wheeled out onto my squadron. :swear:

A stunning job on that Simon, I really like what you've  done with it, oversize codes not withstanding, it looks great. Not the only kit from Airfix with oversize codes but not much wriggle room on this one, so well done. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

No No No dears, here's the reason, I mean the actual jistorical reason,

Can't resist to add fuel on the fire :evil_laugh:

WP_20170411_13_15_14_Pro

Great Thanks to Jean Barbaud and his Aircraft caricatures 8

Nice job too on this Spit Beard, and now at least you know the reason of that huge code !

The son of the '40 painter is actually working for Airfix today :poke:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 8 April 2017 at 10:08 PM, WildeSau75 said:

Nice Spitfire - like it with early markings.

Cheers,

Michael

On 10 April 2017 at 0:33 PM, old thumper said:

I like the codes, it makes it look different and creates a talking point. I suppose at the time the RAF thought the bigger the better.  

On 11 April 2017 at 10:02 AM, F-32 said:

:goodjob:

On 11 April 2017 at 11:08 AM, stevehnz said:

A stunning job on that Simon, I really like what you've  done with it, oversize codes not withstanding, it looks great. Not the only kit from Airfix with oversize codes but not much wriggle room on this one, so well done. :)

Steve.

On 11 April 2017 at 0:24 PM, corsaircorp said:

No No No dears, here's the reason, I mean the actual jistorical reason,

Can't resist to add fuel on the fire :evil_laugh:

WP_20170411_13_15_14_Pro

Great Thanks to Jean Barbaud and his Aircraft caricatures 8

Nice job too on this Spit Beard, and now at least you know the reason of that huge code !

The son of the '40 painter is actually working for Airfix today :poke:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks for your nice comments gentlemen and apologies for being so slow in replying.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

I wonder if anybody can help; on the Airfix 1/72 model of P9495 the serial numbers are retained - as per the profiles in 'On Target 4 - Spitfire Mk1 to VI in the ETO', which would indicate that the famous photos of this aircraft had the serial number removed by the UK censor prior to publishing. Another source, Fundekals, when selling their decals, claim to have seen other photos that indicate it was the Squadron itself that removed the serial numbers (or never put them on due to the short aircraft lives at the time); their decals therefore show no serial number. Any other evidence either way? Thanks in advance!

Serials were painted on at the factory.  There was a time (in mid 1939?)  when these were omitted from the fuselage and repainted small on top of the fin,  However I think that this was well before this time.  I suspect that they will have been censored rather than removed by the squadron, but some of these squadrons had funny ideas about being distinctive, so I can't say for sure.