1/72 - de Havilland Mosquito (two-stage variants) by Special Hobby

172flogger

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Where?  All I'm seeing are the wartime ones, not the later post-war ones like those seen here

As far as I'm aware there was no difference between wartime and postwar exhaust shrouds.

There were two different types of Mosquito exhaust shrouds, the single stage 5 stack ones as per the Tamiya kit with the single combined exit, and the later two stage 6 stack ones with individual exits as per the photo you link to.

4 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

As far as I'm aware there was no difference between wartime and postwar exhaust shrouds.

There were two different types of Mosquito exhaust shrouds, the single stage 5 stack ones as per the Tamiya kit with the single combined exit, and the later two stage 6 stack ones with individual exits as per the photo you link to.

Dave, there's the wartime shrouds that are smooth when viewed from the side, then the postwar ones with more exits, similar to those used on the Sea Hornet NF.21, the postwar ones are quite obvious in the linked photo.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wez said:

Dave, there's the wartime shrouds that are smooth when viewed from the side, then the postwar ones with more exits, similar to those used on the Sea Hornet NF.21, the postwar ones are quite obvious in the linked photo.

The wartime smooth ones you're referring to are the single stage 5 stack ones fitted to the likes of the BIV and NFXIII, and the postwar ones with more exits are the 2 stage 6 stack ones fitted to wartime NF30's etc.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The wartime smooth ones you're referring to are the single stage 5 stack ones fitted to the likes of the BIV and NFXIII, and the postwar ones with more exits are the 2 stage 6 stack ones fitted to wartime NF30's etc.

Dave,

Look at the picture of this render, it clearly shows a 2 stage engine, ergo an NF30, the shrouds are smooth, nothing like those seen in this photo of an NF36 and as used on late war NF30s, all the renders of the kit show it with the smooth shrouds.

• Like 1

You've made your point with me.  I was looking at/thinking of the view more from above, which showed them apparently much wider than the earlier shrouds.  Whereas they would at least make a better starting point for the final shroud, perhaps you should send the photo to Special Hobby.  With, of course, confirmation that they were like this on the Mk.30.  I have just looked through a number of my Mosquito books, but there certainly are a large number of wartime Mk.30s with the plain shrouds, and a majority of postwar with the later ones.  Every profile I found shows the later ones, but I only found one possibly wartime photo, claiming to be winter 1944/45, showing these fitted.

As SH have also announced a number of accessories for their kit, it will be interesting to see if the later shrouds are offered, there or as an option in the kit.  Whilst waiting to find out what the markings options are, I think it fair to say that SH are still ahead on points.

Annoyingly, if the shrouds aren't needed, then I could have done, or still do, an NF30 without the SH kit.

I also have a feeling that I obtained a set from somewhere for a Halifax.  If they are still available...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Not so, go back to page 3 (this thread, not the tabloids 😉 ) the 6 vent shrouds were included the CAD back in 2017.

Lets hope that they make it through to the kit then 🤞

• Like 1

Back to the clear wing tips, I for one am glad to see them. I have no idea how many tiny lens parts I’ve lost over the years attempting to get them in place before they take a suicidal leap from my tweezers. I’ll happily trade off the unpainted inner surface of the lens for ease of getting them installed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chuck1945 said:

Back to the clear wing tips, I for one am glad to see them. I have no idea how many tiny lens parts I’ve lost over the years attempting to get them in place before they take a suicidal leap from my tweezers. I’ll happily trade off the unpainted inner surface of the lens for ease of getting them installed.

That's why I would like the gate to be on the lens part, that way you could paint and glue the lens in place by holding it with the runner. When dry you then remove the gate and sand and polish it ( I usually sand and polish them anyway ). I realise that wouldn't maybe suit everyone, but if they included both that and the classic style lenses in the kit we would all be happy.

49 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

That's why I would like the gate to be on the lens part, that way you could paint and glue the lens in place by holding it with the runner. When dry you then remove the gate and sand and polish it ( I usually sand and polish them anyway ). I realise that wouldn't maybe suit everyone, but if they included both that and the classic style lenses in the kit we would all be happy.

OK, that makes sense. I don’t mind a little buffing, it is trying to clean the join up when the gate is on the wingtip side and then getting it in place without a sproing off to that parallel universe that is so annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck1945 said:

OK, that makes sense. I don’t mind a little buffing, it is trying to clean the join up when the gate is on the wingtip side and then getting it in place without a sproing off to that parallel universe that is so annoying.

Yes I hate that, trying to get it cleaned off while trying to hold it. I've spend a while search the carpet on a few builds🤨

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Special Hobby published three photos of the first mould.

SH-DH-Mosquito-20240305-134459.jpg
SH-DH-Mosquito-20240305-134514.jpg
SH-DH-Mosquito-20240305-134524.jpg

Excellent! Now some people can start moaning about the errors and omissions and how they wanted a different version.

• Haha 4

Whilst it's great to finally see pics of the molds confirming Special Hobby are working towards releasing their kit of the Mozzie, I can't help but be concerned about the main mold for the wings: is that surface rust? When you click on the link that Piotr provided, the other die sets are shiny and new, but the wing die set looks like it's been lying around in the workshop for some time without any rust protection... 🤔