1/72 - de Havilland Mosquito (two-stage variants) by Special Hobby

172flogger

12 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

12 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

What’s that single stage NF mkXV doing there.

What tells you they are single stage engines, I thought they looked like two stage cowls?

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

I would say it's a bit difficult to say that from those CAD images.

The straight top and bottom views are equal to projections on a flat surface.
If someone knows the dimensions it certainly can be checked there.

For my eye at least they appear to be too conical, that makes them too slim at the front ...

M2-001.jpg

M3-001.jpg

26 minutes ago, occa said:

The straight top and bottom views are equal to projections on a flat surface.
If someone knows the dimensions it certainly can be checked there.

For my eye at least they appear to be too conical, that makes them too slim at the front ...

But they are pretty low res images and with the thick black lines I think it's hard to say if they are accurate or not. The shrouds don't help but if they were too slim then the spinner diameter what be too small and that doesn't jump out at me as being so.

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

What tells you they are single stage engines, I thought they looked like two stage cowls?

The lack of an intake right under the propeller spinner. Compare it to other engine cowl views in the CADs. Also, the small conical radome and extended wing tips are pretty unique to the mkXV. The mkXV had single stage Merlins.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Trenton guy said:

The lack of an intake right under the propeller spinner. Compare it to other engine cowl views in the CADs. Also, the small conical radome and extended wing tips are pretty unique to the mkXV. The mkXV had single stage Merlins.

I thought the XV had a two stage Merlin that's why I thought you were saying there was a single stage cowl in the CAD which I couldn't see. 

Are these not XV's then?

28-4.jpg

Mosquito_Mk_XV.jpg

p25.jpg

• Like 1

XV definitely had two stage merlins as it was rebuilt from a B.IX or possibly one of the early B.XVIs.

Edit: the prototype DZ385 was a rebuilt B.IV, initially by grafting on a fighter gun nose.  The pressurised cabin development fed into the B/PR.XVI and PR.32.

I'm away from my references.

TBH, I'd prefer SH to do the navalised Mosquitoes instead. With a proper wingfold and the revised  U/C. They'd get at least two boxings out of it.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Wow! Just, Wow!

Never even knew about the gun-pack in the bomb-bay?

Davey.

This is what I love about Special Hobby at the moment, just like their Mirage III it looks like they are giving us pretty much all the versions. There were only five NF Mk.XV produced but it will be nice to build some of the smaller produced variants.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 08/03/2021 at 14:43, Tbolt said:

This is what I love about Special Hobby at the moment, just like their Mirage III it looks like they are giving us pretty much all the versions. There were only five NF Mk.XV produced but it will be nice to build some of the smaller produced variants.

if is like Mirage III we have to wait for years....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, manuel said:

if is like Mirage III we have to wait for years....

Actually the first kit(s) of Mirage III/V family were announced in January newsletter:

Velmi atraktivní novinkou bude i první verze z rodiny 1/72 Mirage III/V → The first version of the 1/72 Mirage III/V family will be a very attractive novelty.

4 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Actually the first kit(s) of Mirage III/V family were announced in January newsletter:

Velmi atraktivní novinkou bude i první verze z rodiny 1/72 Mirage III/V → The first version of the 1/72 Mirage III/V family will be a very attractive novelty.

No they were announced in 2018.

7 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

In 2018, the entire family was announced, without a release date for the first model. In the January newsletter it was announced that the first model of the family will be released in 2021.

Okay I see your point, that wasn't clear from your first statement. Manuel said we've had to wait for years which is correct, though it's not as long as the Mosquito for which we haven't got a release date or what version we are getting yet. Not that I'm in a rush, I just want them to be done right.

2 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Okay I see your point, that wasn't clear from your first statement. Manuel said we've had to wait for years which is correct, though it's not as long as the Mosquito for which we haven't go a release date or what version we are getting yet. Not that I'm in a rush, I just want them to be done right.

Mosquito is a complex and large project, so inevitably it will take longer to bring it to completion. On top of that in recent years Modelsvit started releasing their Mirage III in different versions, so I guess Special Hobby changed their priorities.

But earlier this year the newsletter stated that the Mosquito was "between a month and six months" away from completion. So the first Mosquito kit from Special Hobby should also appear this year.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Mosquito is a complex and large project, so inevitably it will take longer to bring it to completion. On top of that in recent years Modelsvit started releasing their Mirage III in different versions, so I guess Special Hobby changed their priorities.

But earlier this year the newsletter stated that the Mosquito was "between a month and six months" away from completion. So the first Mosquito kit from Special Hobby should also appear this year.

I missed that in the newsletter, it would be great if it came out this year, but normally we would have seen the plastic by now if it was due out in the next few months, though it would be great if I'm wrong! 

27 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

but normally we would have seen the plastic by now

Thanks to one manufacturer so keen to draw on Special Hobby's output, I would expect news of releases rather shortly before they go on sale. Especially that this manufacturer threatened to make a Mosquito model already a few years ago, right after Special Hobby's announcements, but somehow nothing came of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Thanks to one manufacturer so keen to draw on Special Hobby's output, I would expect news of releases rather shortly before they go on sale. Especially that this manufacturer threatened to make a Mosquito model already a few years ago, right after Special Hobby's announcements, but somehow nothing came of it.

Do you think we won't see the AZ one then?

33 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Do you think we won't see the AZ one then?

I think we don't need a Mosquito "inspired" by the Tamiya kit with the added resin engines that someone once produced for such a conversion. In my opinion, the new 3D developed kits - the easier and faster to build Airfix and the more complex and with more detail Special Hobby - are all we need.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I think we don't need a Mosquito "inspired" by the Tamiya kit with the added resin engines that someone once produced for such a conversion. In my opinion, the new 3D developed kits - the easier and faster to build Airfix and the more complex and with more detail Special Hobby - are all we need.

If that's what it was, then yes we don't want that.

• Like 1