1/72 - de Havilland Mosquito (two-stage variants) by Special Hobby

172flogger

That's quite enough of that.  Abusive behaviour toward another member results in a warning an a 31 day suspension.  Let's not have it happen again please. :fraidnot:

What is a two stage mosquito and what are the visual/structural differences compared to regular mosquito ? 

Thanks for your reply :)

15 minutes ago, Basuroy said:

What is a two stage mosquito and what are the visual/structural differences compared to regular mosquito ? 

Thanks for your reply :)

One with a twin-stage super-charger Merlin (e.g. 60/70 series), manifests itself on the real thing as a longer cowling with longer carburettor intake, the intake has some grilles on the side too, there's also a slight bulge on the lower cowling.

Compare the cowlings of a B.IX, PR.XVI, NF.30, PR.34, B.35 or NF.36 (all two stage), with those of a FB.VI or B.IV Srs 2 (single stage), hopefully you'll see it.

Two stage engined aircraft are very prolific particularly towards the war's end and post-war yet criminally under represented in kit form!

Edited by Wez
extra text
  • Like 4

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:45 AM, Uncle Dick said:

I say chaps with Czech timing - Attack Squadron have just released a 2 stage set for the Tamiya Mossies 

asq-72104-instr-727x1024.jpg

If anyone has tried this, could they post their opinion please.

Also does anyone recognise / know the location of the PRXVl used with this conversion on the big H website.

Finally the same pictures show the bulged side panels to good advantage: does anyone know where they and/or full canopy be sourced.  The Tamiya kit (or at least my BlV) has only teardrop sides.

I have the set on order, but unlikely to get it for about a week or so.

The Aeroclub canopy had the blown side panels but had the astrodome for the PR34/TT35.  More to the point,it was geared to go with the Matchbox kit.  Paragon had blown side panels on his canopies, but try finding them now...

Only currently available canopy with blown side panels is on a Falcon set, and it's geared to go with the Matchbox one.  Again.  I'll be trying it on a Hasegawa one at some point. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FNCV1772

46 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

The Aeroclub canopy had the blown side panels but had the astrodome for the PR34/TT35.  More to the point,it was geared to go with the Matchbox kit.  Paragon had blown side panels on his canopies, but try finding them now...

Only currently available canopy with blown side panels is on a Falcon set, and it's geared to go with the Matchbox one.  Again.  I'll be trying it on a Hasegawa one at some point. 

Hi Lee  Which Paragon sets are we discussing? I've got two off 7229 which has the PR & bomber canopies and one off 7233 the NF XV conversion, though the canopy in that one has yellowed. Are you WHIF'ers at Modelkraft?. Chris

TBH, I can't remember what sets had what these days.

Sadly, no.  I won't be down at milton Keynes.  Lack of transport precludes that option, I'm afeared.

15 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

The Tamiya canopy has separate side panels, presumably to allow the teardrops to be moulded: this would be impracticable with a one piece canopy.  Therefore it ought to be possible to remove the blown side panels from either of the above and fit them to the Tamiya canopy.  That the full canopy was originally meant for Matchbox, Hasegawa or anyone else shouldn't really matter.

If anyone from Attack Squadron or perhaps Quickboost is reading this, could they please consider tooling replacement side panels.  A canopy with the astrodome, for the very last versions, is another matter.  We'll have to see what KP and/or SH come up with.

• Like 1

At last, 2 stage mossies getting some attention!!!! Fantastic and long overdue, just hoping for the same treatment in 1/48 and 1/32 (thought HK Models were doing one but all gone quiet). Should all be huge sellers especially if done well. Got the 1/48 Buccaneer on the way and a 1/32 Jag under development, good times! 👍🤗

23 hours ago, Wez said:

One with a twin-stage super-charger Merlin (e.g. 60/70 series), manifests itself on the real thing as a longer cowling with longer carburettor intake, the intake has some grilles on the side too, there's also a slight bulge on the lower cowling.

Compare the cowlings of a B.IX, PR.XVI, NF.30, PR.34, B.35 or NF.36 (all two stage), with those of a FB.VI or B.IV Srs 2 (single stage), hopefully you'll see it.

Two stage engined aircraft are very prolific particularly towards the war's end and post-war yet criminally under represented in kit form!

Not to mention that the B.IX was the first true '400mph bomber'.  I hope these come to fruition.  It really has been too long we've had to wait for these marks.  There are some very attractive PR and SEAC schemes for two-stage Merlin types.  Plus the bulged bomb-bay/camera bay option.

• 2 weeks later...

Sources: 

http://www.specialhobby.info/2017/04/172-double-stage-engine-mosquito-kits.html

https://www.72news.eu/2017/04/special-hobby-two-stage-merlins-dh.html

3D renders

1/72 Double Stage Engine Mosquito kits - exclusive announcement

Special Hobby team have been preparing  completely new 1/72 Double Stage Mosquito versions for almost two years now. This fact is well known here among Czech model making companies. The Mosquito project is really very complex one, we have been using measurements taken on a real Mosquito at the Brusells Air Museum. The project design has been prepared using our 3D CAD system and the kit parts will be injected into steel moulds in quality levels common for our latest efforts as were the Mirage F.1, Gnat, Fouga Magister or V2 kits.

M-NF15-prt2.png

M-NF15-prt.png

M-NF30-36-prt.png

M-B9-16-prt.png

M-B9-16-w.jpg

M-NF15-w.jpg

M-NF30-36-w.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

Ooooh! That looks superb. Accurate to my eye, obviously an awful lot of work has gone into the development. I'm sure SH will be onto a winner with this one. At last the 2 stagers are coming, just 48th left!!!! I can see a few things that give me confidence. Nice.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

What’s that single stage NF mkXV doing there.

I'd ignore that, I think its just the CAD artist running through all of the moulding possibilities, it looks like we're in for an impressive series of 1/72nd Mosquito's from SH!:clap2: