1/72 - de Havilland Mosquito (two-stage variants) by Special Hobby

172flogger

Not a huge Mosquito expert - but just wondering what's wrong with Tamiya other than it produces zero cash for Czech rivals?

Are there any shape issues with Tamiya or are there any significant versions underrepresented?

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Not trolling here (honestly) but, hopefully, it will arrive quicker than their Sunderland V and have fewer shape errors than their late-model Spitfires/ Seafires.

Lets just demand it has no (at least no significant) accuracy and proportion issues

• Like 2

As long as they get the engine length correct and don't simply add the two stage intake underneath, a la Pavla, CMK and Hi-Tech.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Mainly Mk.Vis, so single.  I can't swear that they didn't have some others.

Thanks, Graham!

So as I undersrand two major two-stage types were PR.XVI/34 and NF.30. PR variants were mostly two-stage. Looks like an important addition for 1/72 modellers anyway. Maybe I would build pr.34!

But I would prefer if SH (or AZ) concentrate on other long ago announced projects :) Not sure why we need two two-stage Merlins' Mosquitoes...

Edited by Dennis_C

13 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Not sure why we need two two-stage Merlins' Mosquitoes...

Altbough I'd like companies to actually make their promises plastic, the only 1/72 kit of a two-stage Mosquito, that I'm aware of, is the Matchbox one.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.

Re Dennis C, two stage Merlin powered Mosquitos were significant bomber and reconnaissance aircraft towards the end of the war and into the post war period. Likewise with night fighters that were still in front line service until the early 50's. As Beard says the only kit is the Matchbox one which has not been around for a while and lacks detail and finesse and yes, definitely do.

• Like 2

Rem

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Thanks, Graham!

. PR variants were mostly two-stage.

Not really: PR versions began with the Mk.I and Mk.IV, long before the days of the 2-stage engine in Mosquitos: the B Mk.IX, which first flew in March 1943.  There were also B Mk.XIs and B Mk.35s: also PR Mk.IXs.

Two-stage Mosquito variants are historically significant and carried some interesting markings too. Til today they weren't represented in plastic form apart from the old and not too accurate Matchbox kits and the various resin conversions are either not great or hard to find or both. This announcement is very welcome, I may finally be able to build a good rendition of the Italy based 690 Sqn. PR machines with their white and red tails

In between AZ and Special Hobby I am more than glad to see SH tooling, but they also have not so nice tendency of announcing large number of kits that cannot be completed in short or mid.timeframe, and than"protesting" if someone beats them to it.

Hope they decide to tool it in their" full run" technology...given importance of the subject...and flaps down option please...

3 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

But I would prefer if SH (or AZ) concentrate on other long ago announced projects :) Not sure why we need two two-stage Merlins' Mosquitoes...

This is roughly equivalent to saying 'why do we need Griffon Spitfires'...

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Denford said:

This is roughly equivalent to saying 'why do we need Griffon Spitfires'...

May be that's my English - I actually wanted to ask why we need two-stage Merlins from both AZ and SH simultaneously. I know it's been a significant type and completely omitted by manufacturers. However just one new tool two-stage Mosquito is more than ok to my mind. I know that is a potential cash cow so they do not want to let rival get it first... 

And the real problem is that both AZ and SH have such a long list of promised and not yet released kits.

I'm of the opinion that some of these Czech companies take an idea so far, then float it to see what the response is from the distributors.  If this response is negative then the project is dropped.  I have no hope that any of those mentioned a few years back (Master, sniff), that have not appeared, are likely to in the near future.  I'd say that Dragon/Cyber Hobby are the same, given the non-appearance of their Spitfire, Hurricane and Bf109.  Maybe others.  However when Academy came into 1/72 they announced a long list, which took several years to appear but I think all eventually did.  So feel free to be more optimistic than me.

On 5. 4. 2017 at 6:53 PM, 172flogger said:

source: czech forum

A.R. from Special Hobby confirmed Mosquito project publicly announced some time ago is in progress and people from AZ/KP know it.

The next battle in the war.

Dear flogger, let me react to your post. You are not the person working in/for one or other company, AZ or SH. The fact Mr. Riedel wrote somewhere that we had the information about their Mosquito does not mean it is true. So be so kind and do not comment this fact. Simply because you do not have information.

Let me state, that AZ got warning three years ago, that SH maybe is thinking about Mk. 30. Three years ago. There was no official announcement from SH side. After three years of quiet we decided to do our own Mossie, because we were sure we had rumours only. That´s it.

All your other comments are irrelevant. 

• Like 5

Can I just add before this gets taken offline by the moderators, that neither SH nor AZ owns any kind of exclusive rights to modelling 2-stage Mosquitos.  Duplication of subjects has happened before in the modelling world, even outside the Czech Republic, and no doubt will do so again.  Whichever company comes out best will depend upon the decision of the market on the quality/value of their product, not on the level of vituperation.

• Like 2