HMS HOOD 1/400 Airfix.

Starting my first ever Battleship, only other experience of building a ship was when I was a kid and the QE2 was the victim at that time, I'm using this as a learning experience and hopefully build my skills up to a Trumpeter HMS Repulse but that's another day!

This one I'm building straight out of the box using Colourcoats Enamels bought from Sovereign Hobbies.

Hull's been glued together this morning so now I'll leave overnight before sanding and filling, now on to the sprue washing of the rest of the parts.

Wish me luck and any advice, or criticism is much appreciated.

DSCN2427_zpsjqet4fnz.jpg

Edited by allyby
  • Like 4

As a slight aside Ally, I copied the link to your photo there into my browser to see if I could see a bigger version - that's besides the point.

I noticed however that you've started off using Photobucket the way I used Photobucket initially - i.e. dumping everything into the root folder. You'll soon have so many model photos that you can't find anything. Since you've only got one photo so far it's probably worth starting a sub-folder now for your Hood build and move the photo in there. If you try to reorganise your photos later when you realise (like me) you have 70 pages of images in your root folder you can't without breaking all the img tags which is a royal pain in the behind! :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

As a slight aside Ally, I copied the link to your photo there into my browser to see if I could see a bigger version - that's besides the point.

I noticed however that you've started off using Photobucket the way I used Photobucket initially - i.e. dumping everything into the root folder. You'll soon have so many model photos that you can't find anything. Since you've only got one photo so far it's probably worth starting a sub-folder now for your Hood build and move the photo in there. If you try to reorganise your photos later when you realise (like me) you have 70 pages of images in your root folder you can't without breaking all the img tags which is a royal pain in the behind! :)

Thank Jamie, I'll look in to that.

Some filler was needed on the bottom of the Hull, so I let it dry overnight and sanded.

DSCN2428_zpsx5t8o2et.jpg

DSCN2429_zps8bnswqij.jpg

I dry fitted the decks, they were so tight I was afraid it would spring up on me so I cut heavy duty sprues, then  fittted inside the hull and glued in place.

DSCN2439_zpsc10eqhpi.jpg

Dry fitted again, looks fine.

DSCN2437_zpsp9i6x97m.jpg

DSCN2436_zps5e1l39xi.jpg

Drilled out the portholes, first 20 or so were OK then cramp took over, the rest was slow progress.

DSCN2433_zpsszv6dqyi.jpg

Finally a coat of grey primer on the Hull, it looks not too bad.

DSCN2441_zpsn3tsliax.jpg

I suppose next job should be fitting prop shafts, then possibly painting the hull then main decks!!!!!!!:worry:

Edited by allyby
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

That's off to a fine start Ally.

How are you planning to display it when finished?

Funny enough I've just been thinking about that Jamie, the stand they give you is only two-three inches long, I think I'll probably drill a couple holes in the bottom of the hull to take two 6 mm screwed rods, find some chrome pipe to fit over the rods, nuts and washers and make a wooden base.

Edited by allyby

I use drawer knobs on mine. The reason I ask is because I like to cut holes in the main deck to be able to mount it to the stand after painting, but that means spacing the mounts such that the holes in the deck are hidden by superstructure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

I use drawer knobs on mine. The reason I ask is because I like to cut holes in the main deck to be able to mount it to the stand after painting, but that means spacing the mounts such that the holes in the deck are hidden by superstructure.

So how does it get secured?

Just now, allyby said:

So how does it get secured?

I planned to make a video showing it but haven't done so yet.

In general they're all the same. I have loads of hardwood left behind by the last occupant of my house. I use a piece around 13" long - it works well on 1/350 capital ships but the size isn't critical.

I mark the longitudinal centre line on the bottom of the hull - you have the seam for that. Then, find and mark the centre point fore and aft. From the centre, find a dimension that lands under superstructure fore and aft of this centre point (usually 2 to 3 inches in front and behind centre point).

I then cut a drilling template from a piece of plastic with the above hole centres. Check that on the main deck the holes DO actually land under where the superstructure goes! Then once happy use it to mark and drill holes in the bottom of the hull. Cut your holes (about 3/8" to 1/2" - enough for a magnetic screwdriver and screwhead) in main deck above these holes.

Finding the centre lines on the piece of wood, I then use the drilling template to mark and pilot shallow hole centres on the wood. I then drill the wood using a flat wood / spade bit about 1/8" deep. I key the drawer knobs "outside" faces with rough sand paper, screw them both to the drilling template (to keep the mounting faces aligned and same hole centres!) and 10 minute epoxy them into the shallow holes in the wood, and leave it to cure.

Then it's a case of screwing the model to the stand through the main deck, which you can do after painting. If you do find a wooden deck for your kit, the holes can be under the wooden deck too as you can cut a square hole instead and glue the deck piece back in before covering it with the wooden deck :)

• Like 4

A great start, looking forward to your progress. Some ships from Heller made it on my bench, with some care and patience you will get a good looking battlecruiser to your display.

• Like 1

Good start I am watching your build with interest keep the pictures coming!

Small point though HMS Hood was a Battlecruiser. I met the last of the three survivors  in about 1999 who was Ted Briggs a charming man!

• Like 1

I've just put the first coat on the Hull, once my second coat is on, is it best to use Humbrol Clear Gloss or Satin just to seal the paint, I'm using colorcoats enamels.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Jamie, I might try the Humbrol clear cote gloss then just to give it a slight shine, ifit's too much I'll try dulling it down with their Satin Finish.

Hull is now painted and finished apart from attaching the props, that's going to be one of the last jobs as I'm a bit of a clumsy beggar.

These things are not easy to photograph.

DSCN2457_zpsqlkkk6pk.jpg

DSCN2456_zpsh9qzhuxp.jpg

DSCN2448_zpsekndlgsx.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Jamie, using colourcoats thinners is a must though as you already know but I'm surprised myself at how well this paint has went on, It dry's really nice and flat,  I think I'll use this on all my future ship builds, I'll be doing the USS New Jersey next I think, so I'll have to work out the paints I need for this one, I've decided just to use the stand provided for the Hood as this is just a starter on ships for me but when it's finished I'm sure the kid next door will love it for his bedroom!

Edited by allyby
  • Like 1