"A" vark

Hewy

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

I hadn't considered it, it's the new Kitty Hawk kit, it's a possibility but would mean I'll be doing 4 group builds this year!

Make haste on the 111 then muzz:P

19 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Cracking cockpit and gear bays Glynn, this will be another real standout, look forward to more.

David

Thanks david , it'll probably fall apart when i have to fit that blasted vac canopy, muzz was the pathfinder for me when he fitted his ,, got the bottom painted blackish , black panel lines. White centers and a light blow over with lightend nato black, I've deliberately made it like a patch work quilt so it can have a leveling coat after decals ,so its a bit ott at the minute,  most of the airframe is together now I'll put the tail and other bits on when i fit the capsule, going to do the bang bits next

20170417_204734_zps4us7y3pg.jpg

• Like 4

The vac form canopy arrived safe and sound yesterday from Australia, i got sent  2  of each in the package thats 2 full canopys and 2 setsof the doors , "fair do's"    i think thats the proper term, I've spent this morning cutting the canopy  out, (so far ive only used the one full canopy ,hopefully I'll only use one of the door vacs too)

"Nightmare trying not to slip" .then cut it in two ,screen and doors , I've  fitted the canopy front with white tac to hold it firm whilst i roughly filled the gap under it whith some strips of plastic card cut to size , I've glued the strips in place with mek next I'll remove  the vac canopy and super glue behind it and do some sanding

20170422_100015_zpslxvv3m1e.jpg

20170422_100123_zpsgvg8eshh.jpg

20170422_113453_zpstpebympm.jpg

20170422_120230_zpskuzopk7b.jpg

20170422_120244_zpsvdcsjaql.jpg

Time to make a sacrificial offering now to the modelling gods before the filling and sanding

Glynn

• Like 4

I think this was one of rich's ideas I've plagiarised  here, thining down the cans, now I'm aware that the hobby boss one's  are downright incorrect, I'm still using them by the way, but now they're  still wrong but a little bit better wrong ,if you know what i mean,, also from an old f14 kit from the spares bin I've requisitioned a closed can for one of the engines, not super accurate but hey what is on this kit;) I'll now add the etch hopefully this will distract from the lack of one actuator each side:P

20170422_163919_zpsxqofjlou.jpg

20170422_163820_zps8ouyeonc.jpg

Edited by Hewy
Spelling
  • Like 6

On 20/04/2017 at 21:42, modelling minion said:

Looking good Glynn, very good indeed.

I like the paint on the undersides, very convincing.

Cheers craig i will tone it down a bit,,probably:P

Nice work Glynn, those cans look much better, and I like the F-14 nozzle idea. Even if it's not exactly right it's much better than the HB original rubbish, well done.

I've got a canopy set on the way as well (I bet Ozmods is wondering what this sudden influx of orders is all about!!). 

Do you or anyone reading know if the canopy issue is just with the front section of canopy or the complete canopy shape? I want to leave mind open and it the doors open, and I'm wondering if leaving them that way would disguise the error with them. Working with clear parts is much preferable than the Vac ones! Plus by the looks of it I'd have to make a now sill for the Vac doors??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nice work Glynn, those cans look much better, and I like the F-14 nozzle idea. Even if it's not exactly right it's much better than the HB original rubbish, well done.

I've got a canopy set on the way as well (I bet Ozmods is wondering what this sudden influx of orders is all about!!). 

Do you or anyone reading know if the canopy issue is just with the front section of canopy or the complete canopy shape? I want to leave mind open and it the doors open, and I'm wondering if leaving them that way would disguise the error with them. Working with clear parts is much preferable than the Vac ones! Plus by the looks of it I'd have to make a now sill for the Vac doors??

This is an idea I've had too rich ,honest,:D I'll get back to you today on the canopy doors i recon the contour should be about right it'll be the angles of the frames and the reduced hight of around 4mm per side  for the opening ,but if it looks ok I'll be  going whith that,i haven't cut out a door set yet in hope.

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

hi!

congrats on your progress!

I like the F-14 nozzle idea,......

cheers!

Thanks werner,the dreaded etch to look forward though now:blink:

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Glynn, the engine idea is a good one and I like the work you are doing on the canopy, it's just a shame you have to do it.

It is craig its a pain on an other wise really nicely fitting kit you really have to wonder what they were thinking somtimes,as for the engines it really is a stand out feature of a parked up 111 i believe and when ive been to air shows every body peers down the exausts dont they, i just happend to be thrashing through the spares bin for a piece of plasticard strip for the canopy when i came across it immediately the cogs started turning

Cheers

glynn

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Rich i can report that the door idea is a go, I've taken out the kits fixed pair of doors and over layed them on the vac parts and barring the removal of a bit of the frame ,there is plenty there on the kit part,, it looks a decent match, a minor issue with angles but i recon these can be easily sorted with some sanding , the major problem with the hb canopy seems to be the front screen and its depth,one has to bare in mind the vac part is only rough cut out ,i believe just the door parts of the hb kit should be a doddle:blink:, as you know these are seperate parts again 

Over layed first.

20170423_131730_zpspkdhplte.jpg

20170423_131711_zpsq1xej8af.jpg

20170423_131653_zps5ah3igg3.jpg

Glynn

• Like 2

you can really see a difference between the two in the last shot. I think you have to add a bit to lower section of the vacform windscreen judging by other builds, but i'll still have the slightly squat look. And side on it's flat and not curved like the HB one.

Will be interesting to see how it all turns out. It maybe a compromise but if the screen is correct and the doors open it may distract from the errors in the door shapes.

Did you get the inspiration from the Pale Ale I see in the background? :cheers:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

you can really see a difference between the two in the last shot. I think you have to add a bit to lower section of the vacform windscreen judging by other builds, but i'll still have the slightly squat look. And side on it's flat and not curved like the HB one.

Will be interesting to see how it all turns out. It maybe a compromise but if the screen is correct and the doors open it may distract from the errors in the door shapes.

Did you get the inspiration from the Pale Ale I see in the background? :cheers:

Yes rich the pale ale does help numb the pain of the hb kit, like you say  with the doors open hopefully it'll turn out ok ,.there is always the bin or the shelf of doom, lets see!

42 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Yes rich the pale ale does help numb the pain of the hb kit, like you say  with the doors open hopefully it'll turn out ok ,.there is always the bin or the shelf of doom, lets see!

half your luck, i'm alcohol free until this voyage is over (banned on board).......and it hasn't even started yet! :crying:

• Like 1

Fantastic work Glynn, the canopy mod and the exhausts look very promising indeed. It always puzzles me how a kit manufacturer can get tiny panel line details correct yet manages to stuff up such a big thing as the canopy! This how to will be great help if I go for this kit, though I'm not sure I could pull it off like this. Look forward to more.

David.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2017 at 07:07, mirageiv said:

Fantastic work Glynn, the canopy mod and the exhausts look very promising indeed. It always puzzles me how a kit manufacturer can get tiny panel line details correct yet manages to stuff up such a big thing as the canopy! This how to will be great help if I go for this kit, though I'm not sure I could pull it off like this. Look forward to more.

David.

Thanks david ,i could rant on about this forever, but its not going to beat me,,,not for another couple of weeks anyway :P

Cheers, ps don't  go for this kit ,awsome aircraft, not so awsome kit

Glynn

• Like 1

It seems the sacrificial offering was accepted, screen fixed with mek, it was quite resilient  to the fumes, i did dip the screen in future first though, also got the etch on the cans ,and built the bombs and pylons ,when the mek has gone off,we might get somewhere now,a touch of vallejo plastic putty around the front of the screen and I'm relieved/ happy,

20170425_192613_zpsqmdncb3y.jpg

20170425_193726_zpssbocxeag.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thanks david ,i could rant on about this forever, but its not going to beat me,,,not for another couple of weeks anyway :P

Cheers, ps don't  go for this kit ,awsome aircraft, not so awsome kit

Glynn

Lovely work Glynn! Yeah the more I'm reading this and other threads in the GB and the fact I'd not have all the flaps out etc...maybe the Academy kit is the way to go. Look forward to how you tackle the rest of it.

David

• Like 1

Before i retire for the evening I've fixed  the bar that the doors attach to, and had a little look see to make sure everything fits , one more horrible job before the camo fun "masking the canopy:unamused:  ,I'm going to try to build the paint up on the frames or if any one else has an idea about this please pray tell before i lather it in thick paint

Cheers 

Glynn

20170425_200522_zpst0x1ecty.jpg

20170425_200456_zpswabqxurr.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Before i retire for the evening I've fixed  the bar that the doors attach to, and had a little look see to make sure everything fits , one more horrible job before the camo fun "masking the canopy:unamused:  ,I'm going to try to build the paint up on the frames or if any one else has an idea about this please pray tell before i lather it in thick paint

Cheers 

Glynn

20170425_200522_zpst0x1ecty.jpg

20170425_200456_zpswabqxurr.jpg

G'day Glynn,

Nice progress on the canopy. the centre bow of the canopy that the two access doors attach to actually has a centre panel between the two hinge lines that is level with the forward canopy surface. The central canopy frame actually had a channel underneath the panels which house a canopy bridal cable. On ejection, the canopy would open  but the capsule would adopt a nose down attitude. At a per-determined point, the canopy bridal re positioning cartridge would operate, allowing the extra bridal line cable to withdraw from this central channel and re-orientating the ejection capsule to a more horizontal position for impact.

I think that your central canopy bow could do with the addition of a 5-10 thou plastic panel to represent this centre panel, but leave the edges at the current depth to accept the doors. use the Academy or vacform canopy to get an idea of the shape,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Glynn,

Nice progress on the canopy. the centre bow of the canopy that the two access doors attach to actually has a centre panel between the two hinge lines that is level with the forward canopy surface. The central canopy frame actually had a channel underneath the panels which house a canopy bridal cable. On ejection, the canopy would open  but the capsule would adopt a nose down attitude. At a per-determined point, the canopy bridal re positioning cartridge would operate, allowing the extra bridal line cable to withdraw from this central channel and re-orientating the ejection capsule to a more horizontal position for impact.

I think that your central canopy bow could do with the addition of a 5-10 thou plastic panel to represent this centre panel, but leave the edges at the current depth to accept the doors. use the Academy or vacform canopy to get an idea of the shape,

cheers,

Pappy

Pappy I'll look into that, I'll search the reference book I have hopefully it will give me an idea in pictorial form, cheers

Glynn

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great updates, 

Comming along nicely!!

Thanks werner with pappy's recommendations  I'll be happy with how this part has gone, a bit more fairing in at the base of the canopy, and try to build up the frame edges first, cheers 

Glynn