Revell 1/32 BAE Hawk T.1A 74 Squadron

Completed within 45 days for a challenge on the Scale Modelers Critique Group on Facebook to start and finish a model in 45 days.

Revell kit with Aires seats, Master pitot, Xtradecal decals for main insignia and also all of the stencils, Airscale cockpit decals, Archer Rivets, CMK Flaps and missiles & launchers from spares. Quite a few extra additions were hand made as well. 

Painted with Tamiya, Mr Hobby and MRP paints. 

Enjoyable kit, went together very nicely for the price. I'd of liked more surface detail on the lower sides though.

It was interesting building to a deadline so tight, not something I've ever done before but there are some areas that I could of added a lot more little detail that had to be left. 

1_zpsv7kgwdnk.jpg

2_zpsc5gbw6vd.jpg

3_zpsgkxhvw7s.jpg

4_zpswgjeauqy.jpg

6_zpslcjpr2cz.jpg

5_zpsqswugoyl.jpg

7_zps6jwtn764.jpg

8_zpslbkwf6ut.jpg

9_zpslzebqphz.jpg

10_zpskm3lonuz.jpg

IMG_20170403_214215_zpsf6abt5qh.jpg

• Like 42

The finish is real captivating for me. Military aircraft finishes often tend to get a sheen on them from everyday use and maintaining. To me it looks just right.

Lovely,......just lovely! Put a realistic background to it and I`d believe it was a real Hawk,

Cheers

Tony

Hello,Breaker - Great to see you back on radar! This 'Tiger' is as close to perfection as I could imagine.The quality and detail of the painting and finishing work speaks for itself.

I was thinking about you recently regarding the bad luck you encountered with your  'Alcock and Brown Scheme' Phantom.I'm attempting that one right now.Fingers and flaps crossed!

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

Great looking Hawk love the finish , seats also look better than the kit ones I have the same kit so looks like I will try and purchase some aftermarket ones.

:goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

The finish is real captivating for me. Military aircraft finishes often tend to get a sheen on them from everyday use and maintaining. To me it looks just right.

Yeah, it looked about right to me, it was using Mr Paints Super Clear Flat for the final coat but that was on top of a coat of super shiny to allow the decals and panel line washes to go on first. 

16 hours ago, F4u said:

Great looking Hawk love the finish , seats also look better than the kit ones I have the same kit so looks like I will try and purchase some aftermarket ones.

:goodjob:

Guy

They were really annoying to assemble the belts, especially with there being 2 seats, I lost about 5 hours just to building them up. Airscale decals really make the detail pop if you get the 1/32 modern cockpit placards. 

14 hours ago, TheStig said:

Awesome! Did you black base? Looks perfect :goodjob:

Yeah, slightly modified. I used a lightened Sea Grey on the wings and centre of the fuselage and Dark Sea Grey to do my mottling coat then the blend coat was thin coats of Medium Sea Grey which was altered by the coats underneath to give the different nose and tail sections which matched my references. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Murrodels said:

Stunning work! Was this OOB? Those seats look incredible. Well in, difficult build for a mere 45 days!

No mate, lots of aftermarket, scratch building and spares in this one. 

5 hours ago, Breaker said:

Yeah, it looked about right to me, it was using Mr Paints Super Clear Flat for the final coat but that was on top of a coat of super shiny to allow the decals and panel line washes to go on first. 

They were really annoying to assemble the belts, especially with there being 2 seats, I lost about 5 hours just to building them up. Airscale decals really make the detail pop if you get the 1/32 modern cockpit placards. 

Hi Breaker,

I was thinking of the Airscale decals Peter has done a great job on them  certainly will make all the difference, was also maybe thinking of the Eduard set and use the belts from that set .  Mine will be completed as the 2009 display aircraft.

Guy

Edited by F4u

19 minutes ago, F4u said:

Hi Breaker,

I was thinking of the Airscale decals Peter has done a great job on them  certainly will make all the difference, was also maybe thinking of the Eduard set and use the belts from that set .  Mine will be completed as the 2009 display aircraft.

Guy

I'm not a fan at all of prepainted PE, it never looks right to me. Here's a WIP album on my FB page if your interested - https://www.facebook.com/pg/breakermodels/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2014863875412831

• Like 1