Ten grand for a Merlin engine?

malpaso

Inside the front cover of May 17 Flypast there's an ad from BAIV (of Holland) selling Meteors (RR tank engines, not the plane).  Apparently refurbished for MOD for the Gulf War but over all too quick to be used.  The ad suggests these could be used for Merlins.  I know that the Meteor was derived from the Merlin by RR, and at one time there was a ground running one in a Spitfire (replica?), but surely not much could be used on a flying aircraft?  I can't imagine there's much actual commonality in parts, as I assume a tank engine can be made from any old steel or whatever, rather than certified materials for each and every component, nor would a tank engine run the same compression ratios and so forth, leaving aside the supercharging , dual ignition systems that I can't imagine were necessary to slug through the North German plains in the Cold War!

In their blog it says "Note: this Engine can also be an ideal and relatively cheap basis for rebuilding your Rolls Royce Merlin aero engine!"

http://www.baiv.nl/blog/2017/02/09/limited-quantity-meteor-mk-ivb-engines-available-factory-overhauled-power-pack-with-accessories/

Yours Doubtfully

Cheers

Will

• Like 1