Vallejo Surface Primer

treker_ed

Up to recently I have been using Tamiya fine primer rattle cans for priming - sadly with asthma and a heavy cold this is proving problematic (plus all the over-spray and fine particulates that they leave behind!) I am trying to move over to acrylic primers such as the ultimate primers or the Vallejo primers. Sadly I was unable to pick up any ultimate primers at Cosford yesterday, but I do have in my possession some Vallejo primer. Now I have tried using these previously but didn't get on with them following the recommended instructions (clogging etc).

Now would anyone recommend thinning these primers at all? At the moment all I have is some ultimate thinner, but there is a place locally I can get some Vallejo thinner (not much else from there but at least I can get the thinner and cleaner!)

At what ratio would most people generally thin at? I have found when using my airbrush, and what acrylic paint I'm using (Tamiya, xtracrylic, humbrol) my starting point is a 50/50 mix, but have no idea with the primers so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

john.

Edited by treker_ed

41 minutes ago, sergant-san said:

You can use it straight form the bottle, just up the pressure to 22-25psi.

I have, and as I stated I followed the recommended instructions. Sadly it still clogged my brush hence the question about thinning it.

Try Stynylrez primers from Badger they are really perfect.

These are selfleveling quick drying brushable airbrusable and they only need water to thin....also easy to sand!!

When you need to clean your airbrush just use IPA.

It looks like an advertisement but they are for me THE acrylic primer and they have these in already 12 basic colors........

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Try Stynylrez primers from Badger they are really perfect.

These are selfleveling quick drying brushable airbrusable and they only need water to thin....also easy to sand!!

When you need to clean your airbrush just use IPA.

It looks like an advertisement but they are for me THE acrylic primer and they have these in already 12 basic colors........

I believe that Ultimate products primer is repackaged Stynylrez primer - and believe me I would like to get hold of some but low funds at the moment mean that I have to work with what I have available. I was trying to get hold of some at the Cosford show yesterday, but there were no traders selling the stuff so came away without it. Sadly cost of ordering online and shipping at the moment is beyond my funds so I work with what I have. But that is what I want to get at some point (I have a small bottle of the black and works great but as it is such a small bottle, I need to conserve what I have until I have more of it.)

I don't no who the producer is, and i understand your problems getting it ..

I live in the Netherlands and as far as i know there is no importer for this in the Netherlands so i order it in the uk which makes twice as expensive ....:mellow:

That is always a hurdle..

Good luck with your paint quest and sorry for not being able to help at this point..

Acrylics are not a cure-all for health/environmental reasons. "Acrylic" refers to the chemistry of the pigments. Acrylic paints can be enamels or lacquers as well as water-based. Most of the "acrylics" used by plastic modelers are actually alcohol-based enamels.

• Like 1

Hi Treker-Ed,

I'd go with Janneman36 and use Stynyrez. I used to used Vallejo surface primer, and quite liked it too. I've found Stynylrez or its near equivalent from Ultimate are better. You can sand Stynylrez in the same way as you do with conventional primers. Sanding Vallejo surface primer is less easy as it doesn't feather well. I add 10% Vallejo, Ultimate or Lifecolor thinner to Stynyrez and find it works well at slightly lower pressures. However, you can airbrush it straight from the bottle if you want.

Sincerely,

Will. 

I should have added you can thin Vallejo surface primer with Vallejo, Ultimate or Lifecolor thinners, although you don't need to. I wouldn't go over 10% thinner to primer in the mix though.

Edited by cruiserguy
misread the original question in the post