Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

Nice work on the wing attachment seam PC, and I didn't even notice the one on the vertical tail - good thing Stew did!

The Dull aluminum is different from Semi-matt aluminum? It certainly looks different, although the semi-matt can be grainy as well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Nice work on the wing attachment seam PC, and I didn't even notice the one on the vertical tail - good thing Stew did!

Yes. How lucky.

8 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Dull aluminum is different from Semi-matt aluminum? It certainly looks different, although the semi-matt can be grainy as well.

It is indeed a different colour. I've found both of them to be pretty grainy for some reason. Possibly the curse the old gypsy woman put on me? Nah, that's probably nothing.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Have you found the right spot on the wall for your new painting yet? :D

I have, but have been too sick to chance it. 

7 hours ago, Harley John said:

That Alcad Aluminium looks nice, can you use it with the humble hairy stick? I have a pot of Colourcoats Aluminium awaiting a try.

Afraid not. Alclad is purely an airbrushin' paint.

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Putnam had a brave stab with a book per manufacturer and a number of overarching volumes covering British aviation in general up to WWII and beyond. A lot of them were written by people with first-hand knowledge of the industry at the time and they form the core of my hobby library. They had pictures* and thumbnail three views of pretty much every type produced by each manufacturer. I'd show you a picture of my bookshelves but Mrs F is using the area just in front of it as a resting place for chair frames in need of restoration. Just don't ask...

I have a few of the late 1980s/early 1990s reprints. I'm a big fan!

Next challenge...how to duplicate this on the collector ring:

glad%2006.jpg

• Like 7

I just caught up on a couple of pages PC. 

What a superb thread, in spite of your illness you're doing a cracking job :thumbsup2: . The seams mastery on the lower wing join is superb.

Going a page or two back; I can read Danish (worked there a while a quarter of a century ago), so I read the article that @stevehnz had found.

Then I read that you had received your book. Ah well. One thing that makes me feel that you're really right about the I/P.

According to that article, Denmark received one British (Gloster) built Gauntlet; coded J21. All the rest were licence built. It appears the Danes were a little challenged by the more or less completely metal construction, and the over 56,000 parts. One thing the concentrated on was getting their aircraft 'rightfully metric'. It's the best translation I can manage.

There's a picture of a British I/P part down the page, it looks like yours in arrangement. 

Main Danish differences seem to be Madsen guns, in common with the British after very early days; removal of wheel spats, two bladed 'Heine' wooden propeller.

I found it interesting to read (this article states), that all British Gauntlet Mk I were brought up to Mk. II standard; it claims that they became essentially identical.

That three blade propellers were gradually introduced to British aircraft, but that no-one would really commit to stating that they made a big difference in performance.

I wonder how this information tallies with that in your book? That book sounds rather desirable...:)

I know all of this is probably not much use, but as I read the thing I thought I'd witter on about it a bit, and give a strong plus vote for the I/P looking like this :

IMG_6358.jpg

Good health tips have abounded and I agree with them; a garlic capsule every day keeps colds away. Unlike my grandfather's old method of swallowing a whole Clove of garlic every day, the capsules don't keep ladies, friends, the general public away. A multi B tablet and some C every day is also a top tip; the body is not good at retaining these.

This advice from a chap that has spent his life as somewhat a leaky bucket that constantly needs topping up; this stuff, plus some Iron now and then, will get you back running again :)

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is unbelievably useful stuff. Right now I'm using it to kill off a throat infecton, clean and restore some old wooden furniture and in salad dressings...

Just amazing stuff and very cheap this side of our big blue marble (anyone remember that TV show).

Have a nice Easter, eggs, bunnies etc. or not (also not in my case, although I'd love some chocolate 🍫  ) and happy Gauntleting!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 6

Gauntlet is looking nice (wonky seams excepted :) ). For the burnt cowling I use a darker metallic with admixed earth and dark grey FWIW. Being a brusher, every brush full can be a slightly different colour mix, just like my regular painting except that for once it's meant to be that way.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Maybe your Spitfire exhaust technique or some variation using silver pencil and 'regular' graphite pencil?

18 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

For the burnt cowling I use a darker metallic with admixed earth and dark grey FWIW.

Here's what I ended up doing. Alclad White Aluminium as a base, followed by Pale Burnt Exhaust, Burnt Iron, and Exhaust Manifold, in that order.

34015120406_31f319b404_b.jpg20170415_135016 by Edward IX, on Flickr

34055473835_5b289b1bea_b.jpg20170415_135030 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33926305571_42208273a1_b.jpg20170415_135035 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

May I pull a Stew Dapple and note that the leading edge of the ring in your reference pic is not heat stained?

I just noticed that myself. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

• Like 4

Fine work going on mr p and I am glad to hear the sinuses are clearing, hopefully the tyre fire in your throat has stopped... I hear they can burn even when you think they are out.

i really like what you have done with the collector ring, and that little nugget that cookie pointed out is easily fixed with a tiny brush and your favourite aluminium paint to get the definition between the two shades. Lovely stuff

Rob

• Like 2

What to build is the eternal dilema and the over thinking that results from stress can carry over into over thinking what to build next. A good satisfying build is great way to counter stress by giving you control and satisfaction of the build outside of external stresses. 

Your choice is interesting for a minimalist build I would of have gone for a monoplane fighter by going for a Gauntlet and the complexity of a biplane build and possibly rigging as well ( a two bay biplane to boot) I think you are more resilient than you think. Best of luck with the build ( I like the Gauntlet kit must get one myself)

That exhaust collector is looking good. I know I've posted this before, elsewhere on the forum, but good intel should be made known to those who could use it.

Collector.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 9

That is rather interesting info on the collector ring Dogsbody. The intricacies of design that go unnoticed until pointed out to us plebs.

PC's collector ring, apart from being a nice moulding, I suspect will look rather nice when completed!

On 4/15/2017 at 1:28 AM, Rob G said:

Cider vinegar's the way to go. It's a pretty good gout cure, too.

Really? I must make a note of that since I've just had my first experience of gout.

On 4/15/2017 at 11:03 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is unbelievably useful stuff. Right now I'm using it to kill off a throat infecton, clean and restore some old wooden furniture and in salad dressings...

Very true. A veritably endless list of uses for the stuff.

If you have a dishwasher machine, instead of using liquid "rinse aid" just use vinegar instead (I still use the clear, white vinegar) and it brings up the dishes nice and sparkly clean.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hairystick said:

Really? I must make a note of that since I've just had my first experience of gout.

My sympathies mate. Drink lots of water and get off the grog. If you can experiment on yourself to find the food that causes it, you can drop that off the list and live a normal life.

When you get the first symptoms of an impending attack (before the real pain starts), put 2 tbsp of cider vinegar in a large glass, fill with water and drink, twice a day. I find that room temperature water seems to be best for palatability. Keep it up until things ease - it's a way of changing the body's acidity. Your dr will probably say that it's a silly idea and that you need to take drugs... give it a try anyway.

An alternative is to mix the vinegar with honey, but I think that tastes really odd.

• Like 3

On 15/04/2017 at 8:18 PM, Procopius said:

I just noticed that myself. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

I know it would involve more purchasing, (and it has rather limited uses in aeromodelling), but one of those wax-based AK 'true metal' paints would work quite well here.

Obviously not worth the outlay for such a small area.

I think I'd just drybrush with a light silver paint- the trick would be to get a feathered edge.

Will

• Like 1

I don't it needs a feathered edge, the silver ring appears to me a riveted on section of different metal to my eye. Jessica's suggestion would probably look best but I'd go wit a carefully done ring of my siverest paint. :)

Steve.

Well, one of our neighbours has a cat now. It tried to eat the birds when Mrs P set them outside in their cage (as I warned her it would) and very nearly succeeded (as I told her it might), and I'm in trouble, because I made a joke about rooting for it. Not in the Australian sense. Mrs P is also angry because I told her if she wanted three children I wished her and her second husband all the best. Winston, incidentally, is quite taken by the cat.

33274138123_4be188741b_b.jpg20170416_101325 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I realize he's not the most attractive child, but he has a certain je ne sais quoi in person, I promise you. Today we (once again) went to the world-famous Chicago Botanical Gardens, which Mrs P and millions of Japanese and Russian tourists love despite the fact that they're quite the worst place in the world, especially if like me you have a cold and allergies. But this is what family togetherness means: doing stupid, terrible things for no reason so that life is merely horrible instead of unbearable. A red-headed woman posed for a photo with her toddler in front of a fountain; as her husband clicked the shutter, into the frame charged Winston, his face smeared with chocolate, shrieking in delight and frantically splashing water from the fountain like it was all that stood between us and annihilation. It's moments like this that I see myself in him. Those prim little Montessori kids aren't gonna know what hit 'em.

In any case, I masked off the collector ring with Tamiya curve tape and sprayed some White Aluminium for the leading edge of it. I'm not doing anything more to it, I'm sorry. The tape lifted some of the Alclad, as it's wont to do, and more masking (and there will be more masking, to paint the rest of the cowl, which the kit instructions have as camo up top and black/white below, which I don't believe and won't do, barring photographic proof) will only lift more.

33274136733_192a37fedf_b.jpg20170416_215053 by Edward IX, on Flickr

34045166686_40461f0f41_b.jpg20170416_215050 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33928818662_34efe9fd48_b.jpg20170416_215051 by Edward IX, on Flickr

As you can see, the resin cowling is a little rough.

I also did the undersides, and forgot to attach the butt-joined tailplanes before doing so, which I will surely regret.

33274128933_0df5779cc8_b.jpg20170416_215519 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 17

I had the opportunity to spend part of the weekend watching some friends' house-cats hunting and attempting to kill the local wildlife as well as having the pleasure of hearing my friend Jamie bellow at one of the cats "Stop trying to kill things!" Apparently they like to bring the dismembered carcasses in to share with the whole family, which is obviously greatly appreciated.

That's going to be a really striking little aircraft when it is done mate, nice work on those undersides too B)

Oh and extra kudos for your knowledge of Aussie slang :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

+1 to what Stew said regarding Australian slang :rofl:!

One of my problems here is that I pronounce things, obviously, with an English accent.

This results in great jocularity and hilarity amongst the Australians when I say that "I think I'm having problems with my router".

I realise that the American pronunciation is the same, to me sounding like 'r'- 'out' (pronounced as in 'outside') and 'er' (as in being a little puzzled).

I, unfortunately, pronounce it 'root' (as in a tree), 'er' (as in being, again, a little puzzled).

Of course, PC and the real Ozzies here can see my problem, to have problems with one's 'rooter' would be altogether more serious; than with a wi-fi device :confused: .

A 'r' 'out' 'er' to me is a woodworking tool. I wonder if there's anywhere in the world that combination of meaning and pronunciation will cause me problems :shrug: ?

Very nice work on the collector ring and undersides PC. The lifting of the paint is a pain, but one I'm sure you'll deal with with aplomb.

I rather like your comment regarding the third child to Mrs. PC, although I suspect it went down like a lead balloon. Never mind, one has to take a stand :) :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Auto corrupt correction
  • Like 7

Nice work on the cowling and undersides PC, that black and white looks very smart :) 

(I really must get the Thesaurus out and vary my appreciative comments)

Is the cat a Tom? (Cue Yorkshire vet joke on 'Nay, ay've bought it wi' me') It seems to be scenting your decking (rubbing its cheek scent glands on the wood) and I'm just hoping it doesn't decide to mark in a less, er, pleasant way. Might be time to find a local source of Tiger dung which I hear discourages the less savoury behaviours. Or just get a Tiger :D 

I hope Mrs P's anger subsides and that #2 is progressing well. When it arrives (on the assumption it's not twins, just saying) it might be a good time to discuss how you would accommodate a third child with only to hands for them to hold, only two safe seat positions in the car and other practical issues - it probably won't work but worth a try?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

...which the kit instructions have as camo up top and black/white below, which I don't believe and won't do, barring photographic proof) ...

I know artists' profiles are as much use as evidence as a chocolate teapot, but those in "On Silver Wings" seem to show Gauntlets with the camouflage wrapped under the cowling and forward fuselage as far back as the lower main plane leading edge.  And then the fuselage under side in silver dope, as you seem to be doing, with just the wings (not tailplanes) in the black and white.

Everyone disses the older books, but sometimes they have useful information.  And for someone to have made the effort to publish it, the English will be properly written and appropriately proof-read.

Looks like it will be a nice model.

Cheers

Will

• Like 3